U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-30-2009, 02:21 PM

404 posts, read 912,658 times

Advertisements

I reconcile my checking account with Microsoft Money at least once a day.... I'm a freak about knowing where every last cent is.... yes I know I need help

But this has happened to me a couple of times in the last couple of years, and I just wanted to see what y'all had to say about it.

Most recent scenario:

Went to Steak and Shake to clog my arteries and had a bill of $15.13.
I paid with my debit card, and added my tip to the credit card receipt after they swiped it.

I always round my tips up to the nearest dollar and left $4.87.

So the total was $20.00.

As soon as I got home I entered $20.00 spent at Steak and Shake in Microsoft Money.

Today, when I went to verify the transaction with the bank online, I see that Steak and Shake only processed the $15.13... so they did not include my tip.

Kind of bummed that my server didn't get her tip since she was great, but I'm just wondering what "could" happen in cases like this.

In the past, when this has happened, the "non-tip" charge stood.... but I'm just wondering what restaurants are allowed to do at this point.

Are they allowed to re-run just the tip? Are they allowed to void out the transaction and re-run with the tip? Are they out of luck since it's their fault for not reporting it properly?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2009, 02:26 PM
YAZ

6,185 posts, read 6,781,861 times
This happens to me all of the time.

The tip will be processed and it will show up later as $20.

I'm not sure why; maybe a restaurant mgr can explain the delay.....

Old 12-30-2009, 02:32 PM

1,389 posts, read 2,238,688 times
My thought is this:
Initial swipe with the card is just for the bill amount to verify money is available to pay.
At the end of the night when the registers are zero'd the tips are then added to the credit/debit transactions, and you don't see on your account until the transaction has changed to final, from pending.

Old 12-30-2009, 02:40 PM

8,165 posts, read 9,837,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chorizo View Post
My thought is this:
Initial swipe with the card is just for the bill amount to verify money is available to pay.
At the end of the night when the registers are zero'd the tips are then added to the credit/debit transactions, and you don't see on your account until the transaction has changed to final, from pending.
I think this is what happens. I see it all the time. They'll pend at the base and then clear at the total.

I too also tend to round up to the dollar. I'm not sure if it causes the servers any more grief when they are cutting up the change or not though.

I had an example of a month or so ago going out to dinner. I had a gift certificate that dropped my bill from $65 to $15. I meant to put on a $13 tip so the total bill would be $28.

Being exhausted I put the $13 in the tip line and then on the total i wrote $18 instead of $28.

To make it worse I had my "1" real close to my "$", enough so that it could be seen as maybe the downslash.

Also $3 on $15 check seems more reasonable than $13 on a $15 check.

I called the manager and made sure it got sorted out correctly .... he told me that when they add them up at night they always go by what is on the tip line as long as it's legible

Old 12-30-2009, 02:51 PM

Thanks for the replies thus far.. I eat out about 4 times a week, so I'm familiar with the delay in processing tips.

But I want to clarify that while PENDING it said $15.13.....for a couple of days.

But today when it "cleared" it remained at $15.13.

Sounds like someone at the Steak and Shake I went to (perhaps even my great server) forgot to add in the $4.87?

Thanks!

Old 12-30-2009, 03:04 PM

1,123 posts, read 3,516,965 times
If it cleared then that should be it. At this point the restaurant has already reconciled the daily receipts. Personally, I try to always leave a tip in cash. When you charge a tip, it goes against their taxes and is documented.

I worked as a server for years, and I claimed tips, but I admit not every single penny - just enough to make everyone happy (right or wrong, it was my choice so no flaming here). Servers make so little, that every single dime helps - especially in these harder economic times.

Old 12-30-2009, 03:09 PM

1,389 posts, read 2,238,688 times
Oh if it cleared at the base price, then I would imagine they just forgot to add the tip in. Not sure that they could go back and rerun it to get the tip money w/o your consent?

Old 12-30-2009, 03:09 PM
YAZ

Well staceylee, I'm gonna start doing that.

Pay the tip in cash.

I hate just leaving it on the table though.

Old 12-30-2009, 03:11 PM
YAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by volk2k View Post
Thanks for the replies thus far.. I eat out about 4 times a week, so I'm familiar with the delay in processing tips.

But I want to clarify that while PENDING it said $15.13.....for a couple of days.

But today when it "cleared" it remained at $15.13.

Sounds like someone at the Steak and Shake I went to (perhaps even my great server) forgot to add in the $4.87?

Thanks!
Do you remember the server's name?

You can always go back and tip her.

Gives ya an excuse to go clog some more arteries.....

Old 12-30-2009, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
Do you remember the server's name?

You can always go back and tip her.

Gives ya an excuse to go clog some more arteries.....
Hehe.... I'll probably go back again in the next month or two. I don't remember her name, but if I see her, I'll ask for her table.

Happy New Year!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance