Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 02:27 AM

2,536 posts, read 9,929,427 times

Advertisements

Yesterday I did my "free yearly" credit check plus score and I found out that a company called First USA (sometimes noted as First USA, NA) has been making hard inquires on my credit through TransUnion and Experian over 10 times in the past year! Thus, my Experian score was lowered about 20 points from last year.

I have excellent credit overall, never a late payment nor a high balance on a CC, so I am a bit perplexed about how this happened. What clued me off what that I was recently denied a business credit card and the reason given was "too many recent inquiries" of my credit. I am in the process of writing a complain to the credit bureau as well as contacting Experian/TU myself to see if I can get it off my record, as well as STOP this from happening.

Does anyone have any idea how this occurred?? Has anyone else had this happen?? I searched online and saw that apparently many other people have had the same thing happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2009, 02:28 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Sounds like you got some friends having the same problem.

First USA Bank

Old 12-31-2009, 02:33 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
I did find this for you. It is a template of a letter you can send regarding that unauthorized inquiry and they will remove it. That should fix your score.

Good luck.

Remove credit inquiries from your report: Sample letter

Old 12-31-2009, 03:24 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,929,427 times
Thank so you much, HappyTexan. I am in the process of sending out the form letter to First USA.

The whole thing just ticks me off.

Old 04-02-2010, 01:44 PM

2 posts, read 13,248 times
Default The credit reoporting agency is the source of my unauthoriezed hard inquiry

What if it is the Credit reporting agency that posted the erroneous data?

My Equifax credit report shows a hard inquiry from Discover in January. When I disputed it, it was not removed and was indicated as a factual record.

I called the Discover folks and they show no record of me whatsoever after searches of my social, name and address-archival records and all. They stated that they couldn't have reported info that they dont have, and the Equifax problably confused my name with someone else's.

I called Equifax about disputing the dispute, and they stated to my suprise that inquiries cannot be disputed or removed by them. The only way that inquires can be removed is by a request from the source.

So I called back the "source" and they once again stated that they cant request to have something removed that they dont have.

Ive been through 2 iterations of this mess and am stuck as to what to do now. My wife and I are planning on house hunting soon, and other than this mysterious inquire, our credit rocks.

Are there any guru's out there who can help

Old 04-02-2010, 03:26 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,640,534 times
I solved that problem years ago, by freezing my credit. It's the best solution for ID theft, and NO ONE will be checking on your credit. I can post my SS number on line and sleep well, knowing no one can touch my credit information... It's cheap and easy... I'm surprised more people don't do it...!

Old 04-02-2010, 03:30 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,947,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayabone View Post
I solved that problem years ago, by freezing my credit. It's the best solution for ID theft, and NO ONE will be checking on your credit. I can post my SS number on line and sleep well, knowing no one can touch my credit information... It's cheap and easy... I'm surprised more people don't do it...!
I like that idea, especially since I have little reason to apply for credit these days. How do you go about freezing your credit?

Old 04-02-2010, 04:31 PM

1,392 posts, read 3,127,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
I like that idea, especially since I have little reason to apply for credit these days. How do you go about freezing your credit?
And more importantly, how do you go about unfreezing it when you want to take out a car loan, etc?

Old 04-02-2010, 04:52 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,432,086 times
Consumers Union has good info about freezing your credit. (I did it years ago)

As of 12/09, 3 states still didn't have laws requiring the credit bureaus to do this.

Old 04-02-2010, 05:21 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,640,534 times
It's easy and inexpensive. Contact all three CU's and pay $10 each, X 2 if married, and for$60.00 you freeze it and no one, not een you, can access it.If ou nt credit, you have a PIN number and you call the CU's and unfreeze it or as long a you wish. It cost's$10 dollars to unfeeze it if you want to buy something requiring credit. I have never had to unfreeze mine in over 6 years...
$60 total for both is much cheaper than payng some of those moitoring companies $19.95 a month...!
Clark Howard: Credit Freeze and Thaw Guide on clarkhoward.com (http://clarkhoward.com/topics/credit_freeze_states.html - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance