Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 08:38 AM

110 posts, read 994,854 times

Advertisements

I've never used paypal before. If I purchase something from someone. What do they see? Can they see my name, phone, or address? Or do they just see my paypal account number?

I have a 'personal' account, not a business one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2010, 08:44 AM

871 posts, read 3,018,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert321 View Post
I've never used paypal before. If I purchase something from someone. What do they see? Can they see my name, phone, or address? Or do they just see my paypal account number?

They are just another person like you. They will see the transaction details, ie if you won something in their eBay auction, and your name, address and phone will be relayed to them.

But not a credit card or bank account number, for example. It works very cleanly and you will come to appreciate it over time.

As an eBay seller, I hate getting 3% raked off the top when I receive a payment, especially if I just sold a $1500 item, but for the sake of convenience and the added protection offered by PayPal, I don't give it much thought. Convenience has a price.

Good luck!

Old 01-20-2010, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eloyfan View Post
They are just another person like you. They will see the transaction details, ie if you won something in their eBay auction, and your name, address and phone will be relayed to them.

But not a credit card or bank account number, for example. It works very cleanly and you will come to appreciate it over time.

As an eBay seller, I hate getting 3% raked off the top when I receive a payment, especially if I just sold a $1500 item, but for the sake of convenience and the added protection offered by PayPal, I don't give it much thought. Convenience has a price.

Good luck!
I'm purchasing an online service. They are not shipping anything to me. So do they still see my name, address and phone?

Old 01-20-2010, 09:21 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,927,113 times
Quote:
I'm purchasing an online service. They are not shipping anything to me. So do they still see my name, address and phone?
Paypal could very well be sharing your info with their partners. If you have a paypal account, I highly suggest you go into your profile setting and uncheck the following item in the Notification option.

"Share my information with eBay Inc. companies and partners so I can receive customized offers"

By default, the above option is checked.

Old 01-20-2010, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj08054 View Post
Paypal could very well be sharing your info with their partners. If you have a paypal account, I highly suggest you go into your profile setting and uncheck the following item in the Notification option.

"Share my information with eBay Inc. companies and partners so I can receive customized offers"

By default, the above option is checked.
Thanks for the tip.

Old 01-20-2010, 04:09 PM

68 posts, read 243,418 times
they can see your personal information, except your credit or debit card information.

Old 01-21-2010, 09:17 AM

29 posts, read 238,768 times
Yes:
Name
Address
phone #
email

Old 04-22-2013, 05:39 PM

1 posts, read 112,702 times
can i pay for a friends purchase with paypal without my personal info on transaction

Old 04-22-2013, 05:45 PM

4,625 posts, read 12,291,111 times
When I get a payment it shows the name, address, and e-mail. I do not recall seeing a phone number.

Old 04-25-2013, 07:24 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,449,790 times
Quote:

All I see (as a sender/buyer) is the other person's email address and of course the amount of the transaction. A seller receiving money from a buyer would, of course, need the buyer's address in order to ship a physical product.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance