Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 07:48 PM

373 posts, read 820,887 times

Advertisements

I bought a car several days before the earthquake, and I feel guilty. Instead of spending $30k on a hulk of metal, I could have spent $10k on something functional and had $20k to send to Haiti.

This is my most typical form of buyer's remorse -- the idea that spending my own money on pleasure is morally wrong when there are so many in the world who go without. Usually it's not on the scale of a car and a massive natural disaster ... usually it's more like stepping out of Starbucks and walking past a panhandler.

Does anyone else suffer from such guilt? If so, how do you work through it? Is it really a form of selfishness -- i.e., hey, let's make whatever is happening in the world all about me?

Maybe this should be in Religion and Philosophy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2010, 07:57 PM

298 posts, read 1,089,557 times
I just gave ten bucks and feel guilty thinking that I could spare more. However, if everyone sent in just 5 or 10 what seems like a little would be a lot and really make a difference.

Old 01-22-2010, 08:09 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,844,914 times
Guilty of earning the money and spending it? If you have so much guilt, you can send it to me, I'll spend it without guilt... I don't feel guilty for other people's misery that I didn't cause... I feel sorry for them but I don't feel guilty...

Old 01-22-2010, 08:25 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Do you donate to charity ? Do you donate regularly ? That can ease the guilt some.
What I do is once per month I buy a few cases of canned goods at Sam's club and donate to our local food pantry.
I also buy a case or two of canned dog food and donate to the Humane Society.

I try not to send checks as I fear $.98 out of my $1.00 is going into some admin person's wallet.

I do feel pity but I don't feel guilt. There are many poor in this world and many tragedies but you can't live life with guilt. Learn to be thankful for what you do have and share by doing your part to donate.

Old 01-22-2010, 08:32 PM

977 posts, read 1,109,149 times
Hello,
I found your question interesting because I have thought along the same lines at times. I don't have a lot by many American standards---about $16,000 a year plus some assets---but compared to many people in this world, I live a life of luxury. I find myself feeling guilty when I want to have more-----more money, more things, better quality, etc. I was an interior designer for many years, so am very tuned in to my surroundings. As an artist, too, I am fascinated by color, movement, texture, and relish change. So yes, you're not the only one. And I think it was pretty insightful to make the comment about "making whatever is happening in the world all about me". I wish I were not as self-absorbed as I am. There are some pretty compelling reasons for me to be that way, but still feel guilty about not doing enough for others. Guess as long as that isn't your only focus, or even your primary one, it's okay. As long as I still try to help when an opportunity presents itself, I guess I should cut myself some slack, and you should , too. Now....you may not be able to do as much as you could have had you bought a cheaper car---the big question is: What ARE you going to do to help? Don't have the regrets and do nothing because you can't do a Lot.......but, somehow, I don't think that's the way it will be, in your case. Do what you can now. One thing that helps me: sometimes I give more than I originally planned----as a form of discipline, in a way, to show myself that I can stretch a bit, and all will still be okay. Best wishes.

Old 01-22-2010, 08:39 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,251,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seiketsu View Post
Does anyone else suffer from such guilt? If so, how do you work through it? Is it really a form of selfishness -- i.e., hey, let's make whatever is happening in the world all about me?

Maybe this should be in Religion and Philosophy?
Do you work hard? Does your line of work contribute to others' well being, comfort, or happiness? Do you donate time, money or talent to worthy causes that help others?

Then no guilt required....

Old 01-22-2010, 08:39 PM

88,512 posts, read 84,688,123 times
[quote=HappyTexan;12571291]Do you donate to charity ? Do you donate regularly ? That can ease the guilt some.
What I do is once per month I buy a few cases of canned goods at Sam's club and donate to our local food pantry.
I also buy a case or two of canned dog food and donate to the Humane Society.

I try not to send checks as I fear $.98 out of my $1.00 is going into some admin person's wallet.

I do feel pity but I don't feel guilt. There are many poor in this world and many tragedies but you can't live life with guilt. Learn to be thankful for what you do have and share by doing your part to donate.[/quote]

I think what Happy Texan said here is key. I've personally found that if I practice being consciously grateful for what I have from time to time, it makes me more inclined to give when I can and I'm not so inclined to think about what I don't have.

Old 01-22-2010, 08:41 PM

88,512 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyse View Post
I just gave ten bucks and feel guilty thinking that I could spare more. However, if everyone sent in just 5 or 10 what seems like a little would be a lot and really make a difference.
I think it's great that they were asking people to give $10 instead of asking for $100. Not everyone can spare that much, but most people are willing to give $10 unless they are truly down and out themselves. And it does roll up into a lot.

Old 01-22-2010, 10:04 PM

3,459 posts, read 5,790,983 times
I'm in a better place financially than many Americans, and a LOT better off than nearly all Haitians but I don't feel guilty about it because I got that way through not being wasteful and making a lot of personal sacrifices.

With giving I try to steer my donations to places where they'll teach the proverbial man to fish rather than just feeding him for a day. There's always a need for donations like the ones going to Haiti, but we need to remember to keep helping those people after the crisis has passed.

Old 01-22-2010, 10:18 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,090,819 times
Have no problems at all spending the money I have earned and can help alleviate you of your "guilt" if you feel the need. I'll spend your money for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance