Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 03:59 PM

1,492 posts, read 7,695,551 times

Advertisements

Went on a cruise for a week and while coming home at Miami airport to kill some time while waiting for my flight, I got on the computer at the lounge and checked email, checked my cell phone activity (to ensure my calls weren't international), and my bank account to see if all my checks cleared....

I was SHOCKED to see my checking balance in the negative $5,900. IN THE NEGATIVE!

I scrolled to see the activity and there were over 10 debits starting the day after my cruise began....all to the same place. I immediately called my bank, in a panic, and begged for help.

These were 'bank drafts' as in not my credit or debit card....but rather someone went online and put in my routing # and checking account # to a site to get money or something.....
Plus there were 8 overdraft fees of $25.00 each.

I know with credit cards you are protected...but what about bank accounts?

Can anyone help me? What are the rules/regulations on this? Will my bank credit me back all the money that was taken out plus fees?

I emailed the 'company' that was listed on the transactions ...their CONTACT US on their website....just saying they took $7,900 without my authorization and to return it.

Anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2010, 05:19 PM

15,632 posts, read 26,126,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGrace View Post
Went on a cruise for a week and while coming home at Miami airport to kill some time while waiting for my flight, I got on the computer at the lounge and checked email, checked my cell phone activity (to ensure my calls weren't international), and my bank account to see if all my checks cleared....

I was SHOCKED to see my checking balance in the negative $5,900. IN THE NEGATIVE!

I scrolled to see the activity and there were over 10 debits starting the day after my cruise began....all to the same place. I immediately called my bank, in a panic, and begged for help.

These were 'bank drafts' as in not my credit or debit card....but rather someone went online and put in my routing # and checking account # to a site to get money or something.....

Can anyone help me? What are the rules/regulations on this? Will my bank credit me back all the money that was taken out plus fees?

I emailed the 'company' that was listed on the transactions ...their CONTACT US on their website....just saying they took $7,900 without my authorization and to return it.

Anyone?
Did you call your bank? You'll have to file an affadavit of fraud with them to get the money back. They will need to close your account and reopen a new one. You may need to file a police report, because this is fraud.

A good bank should take your good record into account and refund every thing.

I just had my credit card nailed by a couple of companies that I NEVER HAVE DONE BUSINESS with.... I have no idea how they got hold of my card number..... my bank alerted ME.... and we went through this.

Good luck!

Old 01-24-2010, 05:29 PM

15,853 posts, read 35,015,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGrace View Post

Anyone?
I have printed out your post so that I can wave it under someone's nose the next time the scoff at me for not using online banking.

I hope it works out. Chances are, if it can be proved as fraud, your money will be credited back to you. At least I sure hope so.

20yrsinBranson

Old 01-24-2010, 05:40 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,347,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I have printed out your post so that I can wave it under someone's nose the next time the scoff at me for not using online banking.

I hope it works out. Chances are, if it can be proved as fraud, your money will be credited back to you. At least I sure hope so.

20yrsinBranson
It's not required to have online banking for someone to transfer money from an account. Most utilities companies use this method for direct payment, they just need the checking account info.

I will point out that when you write someone a check, all the information necessary is on the check (routing, account, name, etc...). It's just a matter of whether the bank allows the transfer. In most cases, the bank is supposed to only allow transfers that are authorized by the holder, but sometimes that information can still be obtained from someone's ID.

Last edited by f_m; 01-24-2010 at 05:51 PM..

Old 01-24-2010, 05:41 PM

15,440 posts, read 21,239,072 times
I've had my bank accounts robbed twice in the past thirty years. Once was a simple drive-through teller mistake and the other was a pick-pocketed wallet. Both times our money was fully refunded by the banks. However in the first case, the teller was fired for not asking for an I.D. In the case of the lost wallet, the wallet was recovered shortly in a Federal sting operation but was never returned.

Old 01-24-2010, 05:48 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,511,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post

20yrsinBranson
Very naive of you. There are many ways someone can get into your bank account without your conscent or knowledge and unless you plan on keeping you money in a mattress and dropping completely off the grid I would be careful of waving the OP under anyone's nose, you may be the one who has to eat it.

Old 01-24-2010, 10:55 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,591,076 times
Who knows where the leak was but I would not be using a wireless connection in an airport logging into your bank account for one thing. You computer should be locked down with norton and spybot at a minimum.

Old 01-25-2010, 07:41 AM

1,534 posts, read 4,249,809 times
Accessing your online financial accounts from an airport is one way of asking for trouble. There has been quite a lot of media attention and expert advice on the subject. I suggest you Google the subject and modify future behavior.

Old 01-25-2010, 08:11 AM

1,492 posts, read 7,695,551 times
Pilgrim, you are right...didn't think of that. I guess any place that has computers that people use is risky.....I'll make sure I avoid the library as well. So many people using those terminals. And even though you can 'log out' of email and other accounts such as verizon.com and banks...I guess that information is still stored in their system. Never thought of it.

That's why I never use wireless connections but thought libraries and USO's were safe. I'll definitely google that!

But I learned today that on my 'online banking' where it shows the company that debited my checking account....the numerical digits beside of the name was always the same going down the page....learned today that it's an account number....as to the one who received my money.

Don't even know what to do with this information...just leave it up to my bank to deal with?

Old 01-25-2010, 08:23 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,318,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim21784 View Post
Accessing your online financial accounts from an airport is one way of asking for trouble. There has been quite a lot of media attention and expert advice on the subject. I suggest you Google the subject and modify future behavior.
His money was taken before he got online. It happened while he was away. I suggest you read the whole post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance