Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 12:29 PM

1,084 posts, read 3,288,274 times

Advertisements

Now she'll just have to drop out of school since she has no money left to pay, leading her to a lower income. Great plan

and yes, she will have that CC back up to max in no time. Change the behavior not the area where the debt is located
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2010, 12:47 PM

1,858 posts, read 3,104,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMaster2008 View Post
Now she'll just have to drop out of school since she has no money left to pay, leading her to a lower income. Great plan

and yes, she will have that CC back up to max in no time. Change the behavior not the area where the debt is located
I don't think the OP gave us enough information to bring us to this conclusion. We don't know if the money she has is excess to her tuition - which I am assuming to be the case. If it is, it makes sense to pay off the CC debt, as long as she has fixed the root problem. You can generally get a SL not only for tuition, but also for education related expenses (i.e. transportation, books, housing, etc.)

The only downside, as someone has mentioned, is that student loan debt cannot be discharged in a BK. But, I hope we are not factoring BK into our financial decisions. That's kind of like getting married, but creating a contingency plan for divorce.

The bottom line is that she is going to pay the $5k one way or another. If she leaves it where it is, she will pay significantly more than the $5k in interest. Paying it off now actually saves her quite a bit of money. You have to be careful though. I do know a couple of people who quit work to go to school FT. They didn't finish. Now they are stuck with fairly large student loan debts and no degree.

Old 02-13-2010, 08:22 PM

768 posts, read 942,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
There is a downside. Student loans cannot be discharged in bankruptcy. However she does get a lower interest rate and may be able to write off the interest.
Great point. I don't think she'll be in a position where bankruptcy is required, but this is definitely the kind of info I was fishing for. Thank you. I'm thinking it's still the way to go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMaster2008 View Post

No.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmills View Post
I don't think the OP gave us enough information to bring us to this conclusion. We don't know if the money she has is excess to her tuition - which I am assuming to be the case. If it is, it makes sense to pay off the CC debt, as long as she has fixed the root problem. You can generally get a SL not only for tuition, but also for education related expenses (i.e. transportation, books, housing, etc.)

The only downside, as someone has mentioned, is that student loan debt cannot be discharged in a BK. But, I hope we are not factoring BK into our financial decisions. That's kind of like getting married, but creating a contingency plan for divorce.

The bottom line is that she is going to pay the $5k one way or another. If she leaves it where it is, she will pay significantly more than the $5k in interest. Paying it off now actually saves her quite a bit of money. You have to be careful though. I do know a couple of people who quit work to go to school FT. They didn't finish. Now they are stuck with fairly large student loan debts and no degree.
Thanks, this is my thinking as well. On all accounts. I suppose bankruptcy is never out of the question for anyone, but I certainly don't think it would be wise to just pay incredible interest under the presumption that it will happen.

Great advice all over this thread, thanks folks.

Old 02-14-2010, 09:48 AM

1,955 posts, read 5,267,243 times
What kind of rate would she get the student loan money at? Back when I was in grad school, I had access to subsidized federal loans at 3% interest. Some of my friends who have been in school more recently say that their loans are in the 7-8% range.

Basically, the two main things to consider are how much would actually be saved by doing this and how certain employment is upon graduation. If there's a chance your friend will be out of work for an extended period, I'd think twice about taking on too much in student loans. Better to default on the credit card debt if that's going to be the case.

I agree with everyone else who says that the root of the problem must be fixed. If the CC debt was for a temporary emergency situation, that's one thing. If it was habitual overspending, using the student loan money would be a terrible idea.

Old 02-15-2010, 12:05 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,950,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkin about it View Post
My friend came to me with this query, but the truth is I know little about these things. She has a credit card with "around 5 grand on it," with an APR "in the 20's." Yikes. She has access to student loans with single-digit interest rates. I know, I know-it's technically a no-no to pay off personal debts with student aid. I appreciate this tidbit but I think we can all collectively agree it's not a serious moral issue.

Is there any downside in her paying off the credit cards with the student loans that I'm not thinking of? Is there some nuance in the way student loan interest is calculated that might actually put her in a worse position if she were to pay off the CC's with a student loan?

Thank you so much for your info here. I know nothing of this stuff.
Don't do it. Student loans are not dischargable in bankruptcy.

Old 02-24-2010, 10:30 PM

73 posts, read 284,930 times
When I was in college 4 years ago, I had a friend who didn't need all the student loan money that he qualified for, but got the max anyways. The rates were REALLY low. He put the student loan money in his bank account and seasoned it for 3 months and then used it for a down payment on a house. Kind of a cool idea.

Old 02-25-2010, 03:37 PM

2,883 posts, read 5,891,411 times
$5 k in credit card debt and an apr in the "20's" isn't really the important information.

The important information is how long will it take to pay back if you're only paying the minimum or a little more than that? The numbers are crazy...like 9 or 12 years or something.And the danger is, you dont have a steady income stream for those 9 or 12 years. You're really putting a lot of undo pressure on yourself for no reason if you're only paying the bare minimum.

$5 k isn't a lot, but it may indicate sloppy habits. Something that can't be fixed by paying it off with a student loan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance