U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 04:52 PM

770 posts, read 690,821 times

Advertisements

My friend came to me with this query, but the truth is I know little about these things. She has a credit card with "around 5 grand on it," with an APR "in the 20's." Yikes. She has access to student loans with single-digit interest rates. I know, I know-it's technically a no-no to pay off personal debts with student aid. I appreciate this tidbit but I think we can all collectively agree it's not a serious moral issue.

Is there any downside in her paying off the credit cards with the student loans that I'm not thinking of? Is there some nuance in the way student loan interest is calculated that might actually put her in a worse position if she were to pay off the CC's with a student loan?

Thank you so much for your info here. I know nothing of this stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2010, 05:41 PM

1,318 posts, read 2,933,517 times
I don't think there is anything stopping her from doing just as she described considering that she gets the student aid based on needs. The only thing I can think of that is an issue is that if she has to file bankruptcy it would be much harder to discharge the student loans than any credit card debt.

But seriously paying 20% APR is crazy, and 5 grand is not that much provided she would get a decent job, and is dedicated to paying it back.

One thing she has to think about is why she has 5K in CC debt, and if that reason would still be an issue after getting the student loan, because if she is just unable or unwilling to live within her means she will eventually file for BK and then have to deal with the fact that the student loans are hard to discharge. Otherwise if it was a temporary issue, not a lifestyle issue, I think it should be fine.

Old 02-12-2010, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinal2007 View Post
I don't think there is anything stopping her from doing just as she described considering that she gets the student aid based on needs. The only thing I can think of that is an issue is that if she has to file bankruptcy it would be much harder to discharge the student loans than any credit card debt.

But seriously paying 20% APR is crazy, and 5 grand is not that much provided she would get a decent job, and is dedicated to paying it back.

One thing she has to think about is why she has 5K in CC debt, and if that reason would still be an issue after getting the student loan, because if she is just unable or unwilling to live within her means she will eventually file for BK and then have to deal with the fact that the student loans are hard to discharge. Otherwise if it was a temporary issue, not a lifestyle issue, I think it should be fine.
Outstanding. Thank you very much. I know with student loans the interest accumulates year after year, so I wondered if she's got 2 or 3 years of school left if the accumulated interest would somehow make it a worse deal than the revolving credit card apr...but I guess that doesn't make sense the apr on the cc's would continue year after year as well.

Thanks again.

Old 02-12-2010, 06:16 PM

10,311 posts, read 19,658,555 times
Typically you find people that have a lot of CC debt charge it back up once it's paid off. And end up with twice the debt.

Old 02-12-2010, 07:59 PM

Everybody else pretty much agree?

Old 02-12-2010, 08:43 PM

1,793 posts, read 2,269,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkin about it View Post
Yep! It is absolutely essential that she fix the problem that created the debt in the first place; otherwise, she will be in the same place in a short period of time. The only problem is she will now have twice the debt. Remember she hasn't paid the $5k off. She has merely transferred it.

Old 02-12-2010, 08:54 PM

846 posts, read 3,118,407 times
How will she pay for school if she uses her loan money for credit card debt? If she has money to pay for school, then maybe she can just start to increase how much she pays towards her credit cards, without taking on more debt?

Old 02-13-2010, 12:54 AM

2,568 posts, read 5,782,150 times
Quote:
Yes. The only exception I would make is if the cc charges were school related before she go the student loan. And new clothes or going out to eat do not count as school related.

Old 02-13-2010, 06:55 AM

49,683 posts, read 49,148,637 times
You have to be really careful, and as others have indicated, make a lifestyle change to prevent running up the cc debt again.

I just had this conversation with my sister last night. She went to college in her 40's after raising a daughter as a single mom. She met someone she planned to marry--good guy with a good job, encouraged her to complete her last two years full time. She got a job after graduation and decided to pay off her credit cards with her student loans...then the fiance lost his job and has been out of work for three years. Had to use the credit cards just to live. Now she has both cc debt and the student loans while she struggles to support them both. She keeps getting deferments on the student loans, but the debt is still there.

Old 02-13-2010, 11:13 AM

4,369 posts, read 8,547,662 times
Quote:
There is a downside. Student loans cannot be discharged in bankruptcy. However she does get a lower interest rate and may be able to write off the interest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or