Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 10:25 AM

412 posts, read 939,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwalkr View Post
Yes this is what basically what we have, a high-deductible HSA plan. You just dump money into a savings account (pre-tax and tax-free) that rolls over every year. The plan has a low premium, for us it's $60/month for the whole family. It has one set goal, if you hit $4000 the yearly deductible then insurance will cover everything beyond that - no copays, coinsurance, what not. So basically you are guaranteed not to spend more than $4000 a year, but if you never go to the doctor you'll spend only that $60/month for the entire family.

Some insurers will have higher yearly deductible, I think it can range from $2000 to $10000+.
$60/month for a family is very low! I assume that none of you have ever been sick (other than normal stuff - colds, flus, etc,). Most families pay much, much more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2010, 11:12 AM

898 posts, read 1,401,714 times
I'm among the fortunate few that gets it free of charge from my employer. I don't have any kids or a spouse to insure, so it's just me. If I had to pay, being 23, I probably would join the uninsured, as I wouldn't consider it worth the cost.

Old 03-02-2010, 06:55 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,458,087 times
I'm on COBRA - $430/month for just me, high deductible plan - $2,500 deductible. My former employer's premiums went up 30% this year (Jan. 1).

My son's individual plan is $136 with a $3,500 deductible, but does not cover any of his pre-existing conditions.

The best thing I did was separate us. Had my son been on the group plan I would have paid $280/month for him.

The quicker people drop health insurance the faster health reform will happen.

Old 03-03-2010, 09:32 AM

1,914 posts, read 7,147,586 times
I tell ya it's ridiculous!! I am insured through my employer but to add my kids would be over $680 a month!! That's not including my spouse!! So we barely qualify for the CHIP in my state of Texas but guess what? Their pediatrician no longer accepts this! We have to constantly look for a new dr. because noone wants to accept CHIP in our area!!
My husband is self employed so no health insurance for him. We know he has high blood pressure and cholesterol but there is NO way we can afford the pills he had to take let alone the doctor's visits So he goes without. He tries to stay fit and eat healthy so we are just bidding our time.
Healthcare here sucks! If he needs to see a doctor, we drive all the way down to Mexico where our family doctor charges us $60 plus the pills!! That is a bargain!! And this doc has been seeing our family for years! Heck he's going to retire soon
Anyways, it got to the point that when I wasn't covered I would get my scripts from a canadian pharmacy (legit one, DM me if you want the web address). I bought Singulair from them for my asthma $70 for a package of 90!!! 90!!! Here at walmart they were $145 for 30!! It is the exact same drug! This included free shipping. It's getting to the point that if I need dental work or my kids do, we'll just take a trip down south to good ole' Mexico. Their doctors are just as good if not better than the ones here in the States. But that's a whole 'nother topic.

Old 03-03-2010, 09:43 AM

23,590 posts, read 70,367,145 times
lisinopril generic is dirt cheap as a blood pressure drug. Don't let that get out of hand unless you want him to have a stroke and then have to worry about the costs involved with that. Cholesterol drugs - eh. More marketing than effective preventative for people with no previous heart attack. Cod liver oil is about as effective as a preventative.

Old 03-03-2010, 09:54 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,934,856 times
Its a sad state of affairs here in the good O' USA. Seems those who NEED health Care-Insurance , don't have it , can't afford it , go to the emergency room when desperate. Those who do not need health- care ( like the bullet proof 20 something crowd ), or the fortunate ultra healthy folks, have all the services, can afford it, don't want it.

That's why we should not have Private Insurance for something so basic a need , a protection of the population. No different than Fire protection, Police , EMS , and all the other things that ARE STANDARD IN OUR SOCIETY. I guess you could through in National defence, public highways and other interrogatories as well.... We have the Post office, and it runs in the red, but, the first guys to squawk about not getting their Wall Street Journal on time, on Saturday or what ever...are those that promote a totally private health care system....And , do not touch their Social security ether....what a double standard we have in this Country.

Old 03-03-2010, 10:56 AM

147 posts, read 627,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
I always laugh when Canadians come here and talk about their "free" health care--lets talk about the taxes you pay to get that "free" health care.

How about the increased taxes we are all going to be paying if health reform doesn’t happen in this country? In one way or another, someone has to absorb the healthcare costs of the growing pool of uninsured people, and it won’t be the hospitals or insurance companies.....

Old 03-03-2010, 03:12 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,287,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradoan View Post
How about the increased taxes we are all going to be paying if health reform doesn’t happen in this country? In one way or another, someone has to absorb the healthcare costs of the growing pool of uninsured people, and it won’t be the hospitals or insurance companies.....
Is it any different if the health care reforms DO go through and we will have to increase taxes to pay for it? I think the best way to handle this is tax incentives to businesses to pay for plans for families.

Old 03-03-2010, 03:59 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,934,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Is it any different if the health care reforms DO go through and we will have to increase taxes to pay for it? I think the best way to handle this is tax incentives to businesses to pay for plans for families.
And , thats what we have now for most people. One of the reasons its hard to get anything passed. Most folks get there health care thru work. The Union plans a good example , they broke toe Auto Industry, took 70 years , but here we are. Then there is small business, self employed , unemployed, the list goes on...no , health care should be one of the few entitlements aong with Social security we keep.... Stop funding Wars , and bailing out too big to fail Banks...and there would be enough to take care of our people.

Old 03-03-2010, 06:41 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,639,405 times
We've got Americans going to Mexico for health care. Does anyone else see a huge problem here? We need to fix this and fix it yesterday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance