Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 12:35 PM

610 posts, read 3,014,972 times

Advertisements

Which financial services company or bank offers a good deal on Roth IRA's? Is Scottrade any good?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2010, 02:50 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,326,011 times
What do you mean " a good deal"??? With any sort of substantial balance most reputable firms will waive any custodial fees -- Our Money: No more Roth IRA custodial fees (http://newagepf.blogspot.com/2005/08/no-more-roth-ira-custodial-fees.html - broken link)

Or are you talking about about ongoing trading costs?

How to Invest in a No Fee Self Directed IRA | eHow.com

Old 02-23-2010, 03:17 PM

610 posts, read 3,014,972 times
Here are some questions I have regarding Roth IRA's:

Are Roth IRA's more or less just a savings account that has a fixed interest rate?

How exactly does a Roth IRA work? I guess every year you contribute as much as you can in the IRA all the way up to the 5K max?

Are IRA's that are provided through firms such as Scottrade insured through the FDIC? If I had a Roth IRA with Scottrade and Scottrade went out of business, would I get my IRA contributions back?

In your opinion, which IRA is better? Roth or Traditional?

Old 02-23-2010, 03:44 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,278,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heeha View Post
Here are some questions I have regarding Roth IRA's:

Are Roth IRA's more or less just a savings account that has a fixed interest rate?

How exactly does a Roth IRA work? I guess every year you contribute as much as you can in the IRA all the way up to the 5K max?

Are IRA's that are provided through firms such as Scottrade insured through the FDIC? If I had a Roth IRA with Scottrade and Scottrade went out of business, would I get my IRA contributions back?

In your opinion, which IRA is better? Roth or Traditional?
A Roth IRA is a mutual fund with special tax treatment for retirement funds and while you CAN put money into a fixed account you generally don't want to. They are subject to market conditions.

With a Roth you put money into the account after tax (meaning it is your take home pay) then the money grows tax free and comes out tax free in retirement.

They are NOT insured in any way.

I would suggest you contact an investment advisor-a non-fee based one so you don't get stuck paying a high annual fee--and get some help on getting this started.

As for which is best, it really depends on your financial situation and your income as there are income limits to contribute to a Roth.

Old 02-23-2010, 04:00 PM

NO a ROTH IRA IS NOT A MUTUAL FUND!!!

Any IRA Roth or non-Roth is a TAX DEFERRED Investment vehicle.

My goodness if you don't know what something is, at least point in the right direction:

Individual Retirement Account (IRA)

Roth IRAs: Introduction

Roth IRAs vs. 401(k)s - Apr. 18, 2007

Roth IRA conversion mania: My IRA for a calculator that works - The Retirement Blog - MarketWatch

Old 02-23-2010, 04:10 PM

879 posts, read 1,961,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
A Roth IRA is a mutual fund with special tax treatment...
A Roth IRA is NOT a mutual fund, it's an ACCOUNT (with special tax treatment). Within that account you can hold mutual funds, stocks, bonds, CDs, whatever.

Quote:
They are NOT insured in any way.
Well, there is protection depending on where you hold the Roth. If it's with a brokerage, then you're covered by the SIPC. If the Roth is invested in a deposit account with a bank, you're covered by the FDIC.

IMO, Roths are generally superior to traditional IRAs for a few reasons (not that they're better for EVERYONE), but I don't have time to expound on that right now. I'd recommend Googling Roth vs. traditional IRA as a start.

Old 02-23-2010, 04:23 PM

879 posts, read 1,961,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Any IRA Roth or non-Roth is a TAX DEFERRED Investment vehicle.
Not to get picky, but a Roth is really tax-FREE, not tax-deferred. You never pay tax on the gains (assuming you stick to the rules). A traditional deductible IRA is tax-deferred, because tax is delayed on both principal and gains until you eventually take qualified distributions.

Old 02-23-2010, 04:38 PM

It is probably more accurate to use the term "tax advantaged" or "governed by the rules of the Tax Code" --- the money INSIDE a Roth can currently grow and be withdrawn without taxes, but getting th money into the Roth will be an after tax thing and converting from a regular to a Roth will incur taxes.

If you are thinking about doing this realize that the reason the government is promoting this is to get taxes NOW instead of in the future, which might not be a smart thing for you...

Old 02-26-2010, 04:13 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,278,608 times
Ok, yes, technically a ROTH is an account but the majority of the people use a mutual fund with the Roth and more people understand what mutual funds are so explaining it is easier.

Old 03-04-2010, 02:26 PM

1 posts, read 2,938 times
It is not fully tax free, if you do not pay taxes while contributing, you will have to pay later, when you will be withdrawing your savings. The most relevant information you will find here.

[url=http://iraroth.org/]Roth IRA[/url]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance