Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 05:08 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Having lived in states that have high income tax/low/no sales tax vs states with no income tax/high property tax (which I know isn't sales tax) the high income tax state wins hands down. If you look at information on the quality of life in a state there is a direct correlation between high taxes and high quality of life.
Please cite some of this information. I think your post is simply indefensible since there is no clear definition of "high quality of life."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2010, 05:17 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,102,752 times
I moved from Cali (high state income tax + high sales tax) to Alaska (no state income tax + no sales tax) and the difference is remarkable. On say an income of 120K one saves $12K in state tax and income tax right off the top. Plus when I purchase from out of state I pay no sales tax. Try that on a new computer system and you quickly see the savings.

My property tax is about 3K for a home that borders national forest which I paid $200K for. The quality of life here is superior. Services police and fire are adequate and schools are good.

I mean yes Winter can be long and hard but it is also beautiful. Though gas is pricey ($3.17) my commute is 10 minutes and there is free parking.

I can tell ya plain that when you don't have the state bagging away your income and cutting services at the same time you tend to like it.

Old 03-14-2010, 06:55 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,370,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
My property tax is about 3K for a home that borders national forest which I paid $200K for. The quality of life here is superior. Services police and fire are adequate and schools are good.
But isn't part of the reason they can have low/no taxes is due to the oil money the state gets? Other states don't have this income. So it's not possible to correlate services with taxes.

Old 03-14-2010, 07:13 PM

Can't say for Alaska, but Texas collects far less money from "oil" than is commonly believed. The revenue sources are listed below.

Revenue Overview - Biennial Revenue Estimate 2010–2011

#1 source by far is sales taxes.

The single beggest reason Texas doesn't have an income tax is because it doesn't spend enough money to need one.

The Texas constitution prohibits a state property tax. Property taxes in Texas are dedicated to local expenditures (city, county, schools).

Old 03-15-2010, 03:40 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Please cite some of this information. I think your post is simply indefensible since there is no clear definition of "high quality of life."
Well, lets see, high income tax state-top schools in the nation, low income tax state schools ranked 48th in the nation, high income tax state-great roads, low income tax state-dismal roads, high income tax state-great social programs, low income tax state, no social programs, high income tax state-highly educated population, low income tax state-ranks near the bottom for overall education level, high income tax state-great snow removal in the winter, low income tax state-horrible snow removal in the winter.

Now, we would consider moving back to the low income tax state when we retire because of the low income tax.

Old 03-15-2010, 07:32 AM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times
After have lived in four different states during my working career, we retired to a low-tax state [Me] which borders a 'no income tax' state [NH].

We commony see discussions on this topic. Live across the border and you pay no income taxes, however their property taxes are incredibly high, sales taxes, vehicle taxes, etc. What they fail to bring in via income taxes, they make up for via all the other taxes.

Here our property taxes are very low, vehicle taxes are not horrible, and at least as a retiree my pension is below the cut-off for paying income taxes.

This past year my Dw got promoted at her job, she went from p/t to f/t. While we live in an 'income tax' state, during the past four years we have not been paying any because our combined income was too low. For 2009 her increased income caused us to have to pay a small amount of income taxes. It was still far less then living across that border in NH.

If you are low income [or on pension], there is a huge advantage to living in an income tax state.

Old 03-15-2010, 09:28 AM

758 posts, read 2,889,470 times
How about neither? NH has no sales or income tax.

Yes, property taxes are high (but still low relative to many states)....but those are set by the towns, not the state. The money is kept at a local level, where it should be, and people have a huge say in the services their money is used for (or not).

In any case, it still affords us one of the lowest tax rates in the country ( I believe it is the 3rd lowest overall).

Old 03-15-2010, 10:29 AM

1,955 posts, read 5,267,243 times
In an economy such as ours with too much consumption relative to production, taxes should be shifted to sales/VAT (i.e. consumption-based taxes) and away from income-based. This would help dramatically in terms of increasing production, investment and savings. Demand might fall a bit, but not significantly.

As for progressive/regressive taxes, in all honestly, that's a silly thing for policy makers to consider.

Old 03-15-2010, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Well, lets see, high income tax state-top schools in the nation, low income tax state schools ranked 48th in the nation, high income tax state-great roads, low income tax state-dismal roads, high income tax state-great social programs, low income tax state, no social programs, high income tax state-highly educated population, low income tax state-ranks near the bottom for overall education level, high income tax state-great snow removal in the winter, low income tax state-horrible snow removal in the winter.

Now, we would consider moving back to the low income tax state when we retire because of the low income tax.
You aren't citing any data - just your opinion.

Massachusetts public schools are very good. They have high taxes.

California public school are not good at all. They have high taxes.

California roads and general infrastructure is not in good shape. They have high taxes as already noted.

Great snow removal? Is that a quality of life indicator? I never read that as something people look for when they choose a place to live.

Please tell me what is really good about New Jersey. Some of the highest taxes of all kinds (income, property, and sales). One of the most corrupt states (with Illinois, Louisiana, New York). High crime rate (don't tax dollars pay for police and the justice system?).

Oh - and unemployment is how high in California?

Unemployed does not equal high quality of life.

Old 03-15-2010, 10:32 AM

3,244 posts, read 6,300,862 times
Quote:
Well, lets see, high income tax state-top schools in the nation, low income tax state schools ranked 48th in the nation, high income tax state-great roads, low income tax state-dismal roads, high income tax state-great social programs, low income tax state, no social programs, high income tax state-highly educated population, low income tax state-ranks near the bottom for overall education level,
Complete nonsense not supported by facts. Look at the SAT/ACT scores. South Dakota,Washington and Wyoming are in the top 20 and have no state income tax. North and South Carolina are 49th and 50th and have state income taxes in the 7% range.

SAT and ACT Average Scores by States
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance