Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2010, 02:46 AM

163 posts, read 428,031 times

Advertisements

i applied to a financial positions for the hell of it (engineering looking for a career change) and got a response from one firm a few hours ago. It's a small trading company. There is no base salary and a minimum buy in, which is raising a bunch of alarms in my head. Is this standard practice? Do I have a reason to be suspicious?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2010, 10:21 PM

784 posts, read 2,729,819 times
What you described isn't a proprietary trading firm. It's a trading arcade, which for someone with zero trading experience, is you throwing your money away.

The real prop trading firms pay salaries in the six figures, and of course the bonuses for stars are much much higher. A good number of colleagues from my school work at prop trading firms, some are pulling in millions and they aren't even 30 yet. Most of the reputable prop trading firms only hire extremely talented and quantitatively oriented individuals (Putnam award winners, PhD's at MIT / CalTech, etc)

Old 03-17-2010, 10:42 PM

1,369 posts, read 3,309,883 times
Any trading firm that requires you to put down capital will, in most cases, bleed you away with commissions and cause you to lose your investment.

Once in a blue moon a superstar emerges out of those type of firms but the vast majority will go broke.

It is certainly possible to get into a really good trading position with much less than a PhD from MIT though. A PhD is more likely to work as a quant than a trader.

Old 03-17-2010, 11:30 PM

784 posts, read 2,729,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drshang View Post

It is certainly possible to get into a really good trading position with much less than a PhD from MIT though. A PhD is more likely to work as a quant than a trader.
Of course, it is possible, but for career switchers with no track record, the best route is either a top-10 MBA, a Masters in Finance, and/or a PhD in a hard science from a top university. Unless you attend a target program, it is next to impossible.

Old 03-18-2010, 12:58 AM

1,369 posts, read 3,309,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCAnalyst View Post
Of course, it is possible, but for career switchers with no track record, the best route is either a top-10 MBA, a Masters in Finance, and/or a PhD in a hard science from a top university. Unless you attend a target program, it is next to impossible.
Agree, or know someone, or have some specialized talent that's seen as directly relevant to trading.

Old 05-29-2012, 09:29 AM

1,044 posts, read 2,374,993 times
Until recently, I lived in Chicago, and although I work in the I.T. field, I have been trading "as a hobby" for about 12 years now. It took me about 10 years to finally learn how to be profitable. I met a fellow in Chicago about a year ago, who has a master's degree from MIT and works as a trader at a prop firm in Chicago. He makes 6 figures, and offered to help me get into the field. But since I actually dont have a college degree, he advised me that at first, they will probably hire me for a small salary, and if I perform, then my bonus will be very nice, and then my salary will obviously grow from there as well.

I wouldnt advise anyone to actually try to get into the field as a day job; instead, I avise people to learn trading at home as a hobby that they then turn into a part-time "income from home" scenario.

Old 05-29-2012, 11:48 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,882,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fanman72 View Post
i applied to a financial positions for the hell of it (engineering looking for a career change) and got a response from one firm a few hours ago. It's a small trading company. There is no base salary and a minimum buy in, which is raising a bunch of alarms in my head. Is this standard practice? Do I have a reason to be suspicious?
These guys advertise on Craiglist, usually say "trade firm's capital". Then they want you to put up a deposit. You are now captive to their software, their trading vehicles and most painfully their trading commissions.

Old 05-30-2012, 04:18 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,669,291 times
To be clear what kind of trading is everyone talking about? Equities, futures, or everything? Day Trading?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance