Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2010, 07:30 PM

584 posts, read 2,149,535 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know how lenders know what your debt to income ratio is? Do they know when you pay something off and no longer have that monthly debt?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2010, 07:40 PM

835 posts, read 3,978,397 times
For mortgages I have lenders that will go as high as 55% with AUS approval.

Old 03-19-2010, 10:04 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,259,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgmv90 View Post
Does anyone know how lenders know what your debt to income ratio is? Do they know when you pay something off and no longer have that monthly debt?

Thanks.
They run a credit check. All your debt (just about) is on there. You state your income and back it up with paystubs. Then they do some fancy math (I don't remember the formula -- seems it was divide your total debt by the income?) and there's your ratio.

Old 03-20-2010, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad2jules View Post
For mortgages I have lenders that will go as high as 55% with AUS approval.

This answer of mine makes no sense I misread the OP question.

Your debt ratio is calculated by dividing your your gross income by liabilities on your credit report. Only items on your credit report go towards debt ratio. Things that are not normally on a credit report unless a collection account: medical bills, utitlies, cell phone, gym memberships, insurance, HOA dues.

Old 03-20-2010, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad2jules View Post
This answer of mine makes no sense I misread the OP question.

Your debt ratio is calculated by dividing your your gross income by liabilities on your credit report. Only items on your credit report go towards debt ratio. Things that are not normally on a credit report unless a collection account: medical bills, utitlies, cell phone, gym memberships, insurance, HOA dues.
I had it backwards! Math is one of those things I can't explain, but I can usually do..... when I was in banking I had to hand calculate tons of things.... but I can't explain them....

Old 03-21-2010, 03:55 PM

Ok. Thanks for clearing that up. Makes sense now.

Old 03-21-2010, 04:02 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,950,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I had it backwards! Math is one of those things I can't explain, but I can usually do..... when I was in banking I had to hand calculate tons of things.... but I can't explain them....
Don't the lenders look at ratio of debt payments to income, as opposed to total debt amount to income?

I know that when buying a house, the 'gold standard' is that no more than 28% of your gross income goes to pay mortgage, taxes and insurance. Of course, during the bubble, lenders went a lot higher, and we see the results. They also looked at total debt payments including mortgage, taxes and insurance (as well as other debts like car loans, credit cards, etc), and the gold standard there was less than 36% of gross monthly income.

I don't know what the criteria is for auto loans and other types of loans. Clearly, it's too loose.

Old 03-21-2010, 05:42 PM

let's use an example to show the details.

Groos Monthly Income: $5000
Mortgage including taxes and insurance: $1200
Car Payment: $400
Student Loan: $200
Credit card minimum payments: $200

Total debts: $2000

$5000/ $2000= 40% debt ratio.

No problem getting this mortgage.

Old 03-21-2010, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
Don't the lenders look at ratio of debt payments to income, as opposed to total debt amount to income?

I know that when buying a house, the 'gold standard' is that no more than 28% of your gross income goes to pay mortgage, taxes and insurance. Of course, during the bubble, lenders went a lot higher, and we see the results. They also looked at total debt payments including mortgage, taxes and insurance (as well as other debts like car loans, credit cards, etc), and the gold standard there was less than 36% of gross monthly income.

I don't know what the criteria is for auto loans and other types of loans. Clearly, it's too loose.
It's been a very long time since I was in banking -- and I worked for a small local bank who didn't go into the crazy lending. We were strict. We didn't handle mortgages, only HELOCs. Our mortgage brokerage was a seperate entity from us. HELOCs were at a 70% loan to value ratio -- far stricter than B of A which at one point offered a 125% LTV. Yeppers -- you could actually borrow more than your property was worth.

And this included your first mortgage. So if you had a house that appraised for 500K with a 200K mortgage on it, we would lend you 150K. (500K x 70% = 350K - 200K = 150K) And only if you had low debt ratio. IF -- and I do remember it happening a few times -- you had your cards charged up the rafters, one of the conditions was that WE paid off your cards with the loan proceeds and you closed them. I do believe that was when we were handling some SBA loans, which frequently used homes as collateral for small business loans.

As a small bank we tended to keep a watchful eye on our customers, and in reality only dealt with the cream of the crop as much as possible. During the first real estate meltdown that I saw as a bank employee, my small bank only had ONE commercial property almost go belly up... and none of our construction loans. The commercial property owner was worked with extensively and ended up selling the property with a small loss.... and we kept the loan in house. Far better than a 4 million dollar write off.

That's the one thing that irks be about people screaming that banks are evil. The big banks? Yeah -- they don't care about us.... but the small banks have our backs. As a small business owner, my bank is committed to help me succeed. Because as I grow, so do they.

Old 03-21-2010, 07:48 PM

The detailed example really helped. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance