Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2010, 01:00 PM

890 posts, read 2,785,348 times

Advertisements

So I registered to a "free" event by Dave Ramsey.

I know of his book, but I did not read it nor buy it.

I am interested in his plan and don't follow it fully.

What should I expect from such an event?

Is there some kind of sales pressure in this that I should be aware of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2010, 02:07 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,197,207 times
Anything you register for free is almost always a ploy to make a sales pitch on you.

Old 03-22-2010, 05:06 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,653,116 times
Of course it is high pressure. They give you tidbits of info that sound so good but what they really want is for you to buy their expensive useless program. Many times they stand at the door and stop you from leaving before a sales person has the chance to grab you.

Now for some reality. Have ya heard? We are in a deteriorating depression. How can the average American save 10% of everything they earns as Ramsey and others preach? The vast majority of Americans can't afford to feed their families, how they going to save and invest. These are times of survival.

Enough preaching. Don't bother going unless you are very strong and know how to say no to pressure you have never experienced. And in the end...why go if you ain't going to buy? You can buy his books on line cheaper then at the show.

Old 03-23-2010, 12:02 PM

162 posts, read 430,559 times
I've found his books at used book stores like half price books.. etc and on amazon or half.com for way less than they sell them for and they're like brand new. I've read his books and agree with most of what he says, but I guess my wife doesn't agree with his method so it takes 2 to tango. I don't know much about the events, but like someone else said above, if it's for free, it's most likely some sort of "sales pitch".
I think his method is the very best and fastest way to get out of debt, and he cuts through the BS (unlike Orman.)

Old 03-29-2010, 08:41 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,273,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Of course it is high pressure. They give you tidbits of info that sound so good but what they really want is for you to buy their expensive useless program. Many times they stand at the door and stop you from leaving before a sales person has the chance to grab you.

Now for some reality. Have ya heard? We are in a deteriorating depression. How can the average American save 10% of everything they earns as Ramsey and others preach? The vast majority of Americans can't afford to feed their families, how they going to save and invest. These are times of survival.

Two points:

1) Ramsey is not high pressure at all and I think the one time I attended, all he had for sale were some books. And his radio show is available free over the air and some hours are available FREE by steaming over the internet.

2) There are a lot of people who save 5-10-20% of their income. And many of the people who can't do it during the hard times, could not do it a few years back when the economy was in hyperdrive. It is only done when people put a priority on it.

3) Stop the hyperbole. The overwhelming majority of people are feeding their families. It may take some sacrifice (is that a permissible word in this era?) but they are getting it done.

Old 03-30-2010, 05:57 PM

890 posts, read 2,785,348 times
Well, my morning for the event if free so I will attend.

I read a blog by one person, but he took the entire course for some amount of money over a period of time.

This "free" course sounds like the introduction, and I'm interested in hearing more about it and ask questions face to face with people involved.

It also depends if the cost is reasonable for me.
And I walk away from sales-pitch that I am not comfortable with, no problem.

Old 03-30-2010, 08:00 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,653,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Two points:

1) Ramsey is not high pressure at all and I think the one time I attended, all he had for sale were some books. And his radio show is available free over the air and some hours are available FREE by steaming over the internet.

2) There are a lot of people who save 5-10-20% of their income. And many of the people who can't do it during the hard times, could not do it a few years back when the economy was in hyperdrive. It is only done when people put a priority on it.

3) Stop the hyperbole. The overwhelming majority of people are feeding their families. It may take some sacrifice (is that a permissible word in this era?) but they are getting it done.
All the unemployed, the under employed and those who lost their homes through no fault of their own in these depression times all congratulate you on your success in life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance