Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 09:26 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,483,779 times

Advertisements

I have been banking with three banks total here in the USA. Washington Mutual, US Bank and now USAA.
To me, USAA Federal Savings Bank is by far the best bank. I have had problems with US bank and they do not seam very knowledgeable or efficient or customer service oriented.
What banks do you think are the worst vs the best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2010, 09:35 PM

3,849 posts, read 9,423,400 times
Credit Unions are the best, by far

Old 03-30-2010, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAtheBanker View Post
Credit Unions are the best, by far

Thats what I heard. But not everybody can be members of USAA. It is kind of like a CU that way.

Old 03-30-2010, 10:42 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,322,556 times
I closed two Washington Mutual checking accounts right before Chase took over. Nothing but problems. I have an account at US Bank ONLY for the the fact that it's directly across the street from where I live, and they have a branch in a grocery store a few miles away that's open on Sunday. I consider it an emergency convenience account, and use it enough to keep it open. But every time I go into the bank, there's a line, and only one teller. I had a yard sale a few weeks ago, and went into the bank for change. I specifically told the teller what I wanted, and when I got home, she had shorted me out $16.00.

My main bank is a credit union, and it's wonderful! There's never a line, and if one starts to form, another teller or the branch manager will open a window.

Anyone can join USAA and have a checking or savings account nowadays, but just can't use all their services, I'm waiting for my deposit envelopes to come so that I can start a savings account with them.

Old 03-30-2010, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post

Anyone can join USAA and have a checking or savings account nowadays, but just can't use all their services, I'm waiting for my deposit envelopes to come so that I can start a savings account with them.
I did not know that anybody could join. I have been with them for a few years and it used to be different.
Also,
You can make check deposits from home with a scanner. You just scan the check image and send it directly to your account. It takes like 1 minute. it is listed under their "deposit at home" link

Old 03-30-2010, 11:45 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,322,556 times
You can only make check deposits from home with a scanner if you qualify for their credit card or a loan. If you don't qualify, you have to mail in your deposits.

Old 03-31-2010, 08:42 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
I have never had any problems with any bank really.

Old 03-31-2010, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
You can only make check deposits from home with a scanner if you qualify for their credit card or a loan. If you don't qualify, you have to mail in your deposits.

No, not with USAA. I have done many deposits into my checking account with them using my scanner. Has nothing to do with credit cards or loans?

Old 03-31-2010, 12:17 PM

823 posts, read 2,215,805 times
According to their website, you can only do the check scanning thing if you qualify for the insurance products and their credit card. You don't actually need to use those products, just qualify for them.

The insurance requirement rules out anyone without a military relationship from using it. To me that makes USAA much less attractive and a notch below other bank by mail services like Schwab or Fidelity.

Old 03-31-2010, 12:44 PM

2,987 posts, read 5,249,921 times
I can't think of a horror story at a bank, I have been with BofA, US Bank, and various pre-cursors of these two banks. I rarely visit an actual bank. Most of the crazy bank stories I have are due tot he people that visit the bank...homeless, crazies, etc.

One annoying thing with Citibank (and probably every bank in the world) is that the international locations can't be linked. I had a Citi account in the US, and was not able to open and easily transfer funds to a foreign account...except through International banking transfers (Like the accounts weren't at the same bank). This would be great as, if all goes well, I plan to live part-time in another country and having a single bank that could handle my dough would be cool, but I assume there are international banking (i.e. government) issues that prevent this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance