Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 10:18 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
We used to date and she knows a lot about my financial situation
Who the funk is "she"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2010, 10:34 AM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,006,074 times
Just checked and I do earn cash back when using my Amex Card

Old 04-10-2010, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Who the funk is "she"?
MATheBanker

Old 04-10-2010, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Who the funk is "she"?
Ok Charles I just found out that I do get cash back when paying my household bills with my Amex Card.

So for the month of May I will pay with the AMex Card and just pay it off when I get paid in May.

Thanks Charles for your help

Old 04-10-2010, 10:50 AM

2,638 posts, read 6,019,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
But why Credit? That balance is still in existence correct?
You're essentially asking, "Why do you rob Peter to pay Paul?" and your question would be valid - it's foolhardy to do, IMO. Most won't understand the problem. Unless you're earning like 50% rewards (which nobody is), it's not practical.

HOWEVER...I use my MasterCard debit card to pay it. That way it's coming out of money I would have used to pay them anyway, but I also get points on the purchase. Smartest thing to do. Full-on credit card is just asking for additional debt and trouble.

Old 04-10-2010, 01:13 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,713,551 times
It's only foolhardy if you carry a balance, which in itself is kind of foolhardy.

Old 04-10-2010, 01:37 PM

1,858 posts, read 3,103,476 times
Like others, I pay as many bills as possible via credit card. I never carry a balance. Have taken many trips with the air miles I earn. There is also additional security with cc purchases/transactions versus personal checks.

Old 04-10-2010, 03:42 PM

2,638 posts, read 6,019,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
It's only foolhardy if you carry a balance, which in itself is kind of foolhardy.
Deeper than that.

Suppose you pay utility bills today on a credit card. Something happens - you become disabled, lose your job, etc. You now have a debt to pay. Maybe you have some nest egg stored, that's fine. But you're still effectively robbing Peter to pay Paul.

Whereas if you use a Visa/Mastercard debit card that happens to have rewards, you're paying with money you have already - money that you have a chance to budget against. If something were to happen, you don't care, because you have no debt.

Just my opinion - the better way of handling it. I've never paid a bill with a credit card and never will. It's essentially financing debt.

Old 04-10-2010, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
Deeper than that.

Suppose you pay utility bills today on a credit card. Something happens - you become disabled, lose your job, etc. You now have a debt to pay. Maybe you have some nest egg stored, that's fine. But you're still effectively robbing Peter to pay Paul.

Whereas if you use a Visa/Mastercard debit card that happens to have rewards, you're paying with money you have already - money that you have a chance to budget against. If something were to happen, you don't care, because you have no debt.

Just my opinion - the better way of handling it. I've never paid a bill with a credit card and never will. It's essentially financing debt.
I was thinking of having my smallet two bills paid by my AMex which totals to about $60 and just pay the bigger bills like cable and phone with my Visa Debit

Old 04-10-2010, 03:54 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revelated View Post
Deeper than that.

I don't get it. If a person pays their credit card off monthly, then what is the harm in using a credit card? What's the advantage of a debit card?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance