Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 07:38 AM

8,043 posts, read 10,634,161 times

Advertisements

What does "reaffirmed" your debt mean?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2010, 12:44 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,538,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTGirlNoMore View Post
Case #1 - Someone very close to me had to file Ch. 7, 6 years ago. To this day still cannot get even a mortgage loan even though they have been at their job for 20 years, pay bills on time, have no crdit cards since the filing, etc.

Case #2 - Another person I know, their brother has filed 2 or 3 times (Ch. 7), and has bought/sold/lost 4 houses before, during and after each filing (at different times, not 4 at once) and one house was even foreclosed on. Then he waited a few months and was able to get another one.

Figure that out????? I wish I could.
For Case #1 - Since he/she had no credit cards since filing bankruptcy - they've done nothing to rebuild their credit history. The only credit they have is BAD credit. Good credit is something that you develop (or re-develop) over time. Six years of carefully cultured credit could have qualified them for a pretty low mortgage.

Old 06-25-2010, 12:49 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,538,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamom View Post
What does "reaffirmed" your debt mean?
Reaffirming the debt is formalizing that the debt will be repaid. Basically you are giving up the protection offered under bankruptcy. The creditor is not required to report good credit, but will go out of their way to report bad credit.

If you don't reaffirm and you continue to pay for your home and vehicles, you can keep them. If you can't pay, you can give them back - no harm, no foul.

If you reaffrim and miss a payment, they can take them back AND sue you.

Don't reaffirm unless absolutely required by law.

Old 07-10-2010, 01:38 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,143,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokonmadness View Post
We went from 80K to unemployment... been unemployed now for 1 year. We had to file #7 and the only thing we didn't file on was our home and my old Harley. We had one car paid for and let the other go the other debts we let go were all credit cards. Our bankruptcy was discharged 4 -5 months ago. Our house is current and the Harley is current. Our credit rating has been mid 700's all our married life. Hard thing to go through. We should be rebuilding credit now with the house and bike but not sure what the numbers are. We would like to sell our home in a year and buy another across the State of Michigan. Do you think we will be able to get a mortgage?
Sorry to hear about your job loss. I am originally from Michigan myself. I have 4 family members that filed bankruptcy within the last 3 years. Some were irresponsible and some hit major hard times. I filed in 99. I survived and we bought 2 houses since then. My BIL filed 4 years ago. He just bought a house this past fall. The rule is you have to wait 3 yrs for FHA. BUt then I heard its now 4. Something to look into. You will be able to obtain credit again. Its a slow process and yes you will pay more in interest. My BIL got a good rate on his mortgage though. He went to several banks and there are rebuild credit programs. How the program worked for him is he would get a loan for 2 grand. But it wasnt really a loan. He put 2 grand in an account and then made payments on a fake 2 grand loan. When the loan period was up, he had 4 grand. He did this several times. Loans bring up your credit score a lot faster than a credit card. SO basically these loans he got were secured. Bankruptcy is not easy but its not a death sentence either.

Old 07-14-2010, 10:11 PM

3,727 posts, read 7,033,924 times
Does anyone here know how much a bankruptcy lawyer costs? (nyc area)

Old 07-14-2010, 10:22 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,143,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYChistorygal View Post
Does anyone here know how much a bankruptcy lawyer costs? (nyc area)
I had a family member file and it was a 1,000 dollars but that was in Michigan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance