Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2011, 02:48 AM

5,500 posts, read 10,517,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
That's true to an extent. Like a lot of things of a social nature, he's probably helping those people at the margins...you know the ones who know they're not on a good financial path, but who need that little extra something, whether it be education, motivation, or a clear plan. Just having a clear set of steps can help a fair number of people who wouldn't otherwise have the motivation.

So maybe, he's only helping a small portion of the population...but 1% to 2% of people is a lot of people. And when those people start changing their behavior, they set an example for others and the ideas spread.
Agree. His advice is targeted at those that have failed many times in trying to get out of debt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2011, 05:37 AM

106,579 posts, read 108,713,667 times
dave ramsey and susie ormann cater to mostley those who have or are on the verge of committing financial suicide. many times the info isnt even correct but if it prevents someone from doing harm to themselves then it works as advice.

as an example how many times have you heard susie say dont take a 401k loan as your taxed 2x.. thats in correct, only the interest you pay on it is taxed 2x but if the advice works even in its incorrect form then its good for that group of people.

Old 03-06-2011, 05:47 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,943,271 times
Quote:
That's true to an extent. Like a lot of things of a social nature, he's probably helping those people at the margins...you know the ones who know they're not on a good financial path, but who need that little extra something, whether it be education, motivation, or a clear plan. Just having a clear set of steps can help a fair number of people who wouldn't otherwise have the motivation.

So maybe, he's only helping a small portion of the population...but 1% to 2% of people is a lot of people. And when those people start changing their behavior, they set an example for others and the ideas spread.
Unfortunately, it's a lot more than 1-2% of the population that is completely irresponsible financially. Creditaholics are his target audience, and they're a significant part of the population in the US today.

Old 03-06-2011, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
dave ramsey and susie ormann cater to mostley those who have or are on the verge of committing financial suicide. many times the info isnt even correct but if it prevents someone from doing harm to themselves then it works as advice.

as an example how many times have you heard susie say dont take a 401k loan as your taxed 2x.. thats in correct, only the interest you pay on it is taxed 2x but if the advice works even in its incorrect form then its good for that group of people.
For some reason, I like to watch Suze Orman and I liked to watch Dave Ramsey when his show was on. I actually miss his show. Some of the stuff that Suze says is incorrect, but it's geared toward the lowest common denominator. As I've said before, I think in general that those two are performing a public service, since our inability to manage our finances and live within our means have become a national security threat at this point.

Old 03-06-2011, 06:10 AM

106,579 posts, read 108,713,667 times
i watch the can i afford it segment on susie then delete the rest

Old 03-06-2011, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i watch the can i afford it segment on susie then delete the rest
I like the new "How Am I Doing?" segment also.

The "Can I Afford It?" segment is sometimes laughable. People with thousands in credit card debt and virtually no savings asking if they can buy some frivolous thing they don't need. It's so hard to have any respect for people like that. They're the same people that want my money to bail them out of their stupidity, and blame everybody else for all their financial problems.

Old 03-06-2011, 08:02 AM

8,091 posts, read 15,427,067 times
Quote:

I always saw it as Dave Ramsey helping himself.

Old 03-06-2011, 08:03 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
I like the new "How Am I Doing?" segment also.

The "Can I Afford It?" segment is sometimes laughable. People with thousands in credit card debt and virtually no savings asking if they can buy some frivolous thing they don't need. It's so hard to have any respect for people like that. They're the same people that want my money to bail them out of their stupidity, and blame everybody else for all their financial problems.
Either that or someone who makes $40,000 a month asks,

"Can I buy these gold-plated nail cutters?"

Btw, my friend had her checking account wiped out bc it was still linked to her parents' accounts...her parents were cleaned out when they used their debit card.

There is no way in heck I would ever use a debit card.

The CC company (who does give me 1 to 5% cash back) gives me a layer of protection AND a 30 day free loan. Beans.

Old 03-06-2011, 08:04 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
I always saw it as Dave Ramsey helping himself.
Sorry. I know too many people who have benefited from DR...he has turned their financial lives around. For a couple of them, it has saved their marriage.

So no matter what kind of weirdo he is, there are people out there who can thank him for helping them substantially.

Old 03-06-2011, 08:12 AM

8,091 posts, read 15,427,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Sorry. I know too many people who have benefited from DR...he has turned their financial lives around. For a couple of them, it has saved their marriage.

So no matter what kind of weirdo he is, there are people out there who can thank him for helping them substantially.
Yes, I know he's helped some people.

I was actually complimenting him - he found a need - a business niche - and successfully made a recession-proof business out of it.

I, for one, never needed him since my parents taught me well. And I thank my lucky stars for that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance