U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2010, 03:34 PM

3,460 posts, read 4,790,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
a friend of mine gave a comical answer.

He said he would give all of it to charity.

Everybody would think he was a fool since he was now broke.

However, when he filed income tax the next year, he woold get a sizeable tax refund and nobody would know.
Your friend is a genius!!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2010, 04:52 PM

64,576 posts, read 66,100,109 times
i would spend 90% on wild women, drinking and sporting events...the other 10% id probley just spend foolishly and squander

Last edited by mathjak107; 05-25-2010 at 05:31 PM..

Old 05-27-2010, 08:36 PM

12,671 posts, read 20,489,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mchelle View Post
Congratulations! You've just won 100 million dollars (after taxes) in your state lottery So, what are you going to do with it?
Buy Real Estate, Stocks, Big corporations, own small businesses.

Old 05-27-2010, 08:37 PM

5,530 posts, read 8,186,609 times
The first thing I would do is stop working. Anything after that is immaterial.

Old 05-27-2010, 09:29 PM

5,008 posts, read 10,454,074 times
I'd do a one-time bailout of my dad, who like many in his generation, built imaginary "wealth" through debt. Then I'd offer him to live with me in a new house I'd build as part of his retirement. Or build a house for him somewhere, and tell him to retire.

I'd also do a one-time bailout my mom, and tell her not to squander it like she did the inheritance she got from her parents. If she did, I'd cut her off. I wouldn't offer her retirement unless she could prove she wasn't a spendthrift.

I'd bailout my brothers and sisters college expenses.

Then I'd bailout my wife's college expenses so she can quit this job she's got just for the money.

Finally, after all that and about $2 million spent, I'd save the vast majority of it in safe investments with at least 5% annual ROI so I can live off the dividends, and seek out pre-IPO shares of promising companies in the engineering and technical fields, since I'm an engineer and scientist. I'd toy with the idea of founding my own company who specializes in flight software

I'd also travel to China, Ireland, England, Spain, France, Germany, Italy, and spend maybe a couple years in Japan, perhaps get some property there. The wife would like that very much, as she's from there.

Old 05-27-2010, 10:39 PM

1,167 posts, read 4,289,650 times
I would have time to go back and read all the answers on this thread!!

Old 05-28-2010, 05:28 AM

33 posts, read 94,063 times
i'll buy a good house, a gud car,, and gud invesment.

Old 05-28-2010, 01:06 PM

4,541 posts, read 3,522,552 times
Oh, to dream.....

I'd....

-Tell family I won, but downplay the amount by about 50%!
-Quit my job!!
-Pay off debt
-Set up trust funds for my 4 children
-Give about 30% (of the amount I told them!) to family
-Another 10% to various charities and my church
-Buy a $500K home (anything larger than that is too big for my taste. I like having neighbors and being apart of a community, so don't need a ton of land.)
-Buy a BMW
-TRAVEL, TRAVEL, TRAVEL. Even on our modest income, I love to travel. This would be SIGNIFICANTLY ramped up. Places to see would definitely include Fiji and South Africa
-Buy a vacation home in Bermuda, Georgia, New York & San Francisco. (and any other tropical destination that suited my fancy).
-Set up a nonprofit to benefit and provide support to teenage parents.

Old 05-28-2010, 02:53 PM

8,268 posts, read 10,374,989 times
There is a little TV/stereo store where the grumpy owner implied I might be shoplifting since I carried in a part to compare with what they had hanging on the shelves and didn't mention I had it on the way in.

I'd buy a spot in the same strip mall, preferably right next door, and sell the exact same things as him for half of his prices.

Old 05-29-2010, 03:06 AM

7 posts, read 13,553 times
Somehow or other I would like to take a trip around the world. I don't fly at all for medical reasons. So I would need to hire a private jet equipped with a great doctor,chef, & masseuse & body guard. The jet would need a bed so I can sleep when I am tired and a bathtub for a hot bath. I would go with my son and my dad. I want to go to Switzerland,Austria,Germany,England,Scotland, Leichtenstein,Belgium,Slovenia,Slovakia,Hungary,Po land,Croatia,Italy,Russia,Slovakia,Czech Republic,Romania,Sweden,Norway & Denmark.

After we finished that I would ask them to take us all over Canada & Alaska.

I would buy dad his own house and I would buy a property for my son. I would also prepay at a good university the entire education. I would invest for all of us.

I would give my local hospital and the childrens hospital donations for all the times they looked after us in the past. I would also set up a charity that delivers healthy meals to people who are too sick to cook for themselves. I have been in that situation many times.

This would have to be a substantial winning ofcourse to pay for all this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance