U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Unread 05-23-2010, 03:22 PM
 
Location: Wisconsin
677 posts, read 793,077 times
Reputation: 606
Talking Just for fun: What would you do if you won the lottery?

Congratulations! You've just won 100 million dollars (after taxes) in your state lottery So, what are you going to do with it?

Last edited by mchelle; 05-23-2010 at 04:26 PM..
Quick reply to this message

 
Unread 05-23-2010, 03:33 PM
 
Location: Wisconsin
677 posts, read 793,077 times
Reputation: 606
I would:
  • Pay off my and my parents' debt.
  • Support my mom, dad and brother financially for the rest of their lives, as long as they aren't living too extravagently.
  • Travel to Japan, Egypt, Germany, France, the Netherlands, Chile, Fiji, New Zealand, Greece, and anywhere else I can think of.
  • Buy homes for myself, mom, dad, and brother.
  • Adopt a couple dogs, turtles, hedgehogs and birds.
  • Build a doggy playground in the huge backyard.
  • Build a huge cage-type thing for the birds to fly around in. Maybe something that's indoor and outdoor.
  • Find out more about hedgehogs and turtles, build the coolest environment for them that I can.
  • Start a charitable organization that provides food, clothing and education to people in need. Not sure if this would be in the U.S. or another country.
  • Buy my brother any car he wants.
  • Pay for my brother's education.
  • Take some online college courses.
  • Build an in-home movie theatre! (Stolen from Joey2000 )
That's all I've got for now.

Last edited by mchelle; 05-23-2010 at 04:26 PM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 05-23-2010, 03:36 PM
 
25,889 posts, read 20,212,489 times
Reputation: 13120
wow ,a dollar a year for a million years... not sure what id do......
Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 05-23-2010, 03:42 PM
 
Location: Wisconsin
677 posts, read 793,077 times
Reputation: 606
It's 100 million so if you chose to go that route it would be 1 dollar per year for 100 million years

Perhaps a lump sum would be better
Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 05-23-2010, 03:55 PM
 
Location: Connecticut
2,728 posts, read 2,311,937 times
Reputation: 1829
Would I still have to pay txes on it? Cuz if so then I auitomatically think I've got about $50 million (give or take) to work with

Anyhow, I would (in no particular order):

~buy each of my parents a house/condo/whatever
~pay off my car
~buy myself a house/condo.
~put money aside for my nephew's education, plus a little extra
~a dream of mine - buy a large piece of land, with appropriate housing, for all of the "unwanted" animals; have housing for them (separate for each type of animal if need be); have staff to help care for them; and vet staff for the medical care - no animal turned away
Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 05-23-2010, 04:09 PM
 
3,651 posts, read 4,928,616 times
Reputation: 2563
aw CT beat me to it. The animal shelter is a dream of mine too. I would also lobby HARD for MUCH tougher laws for animal abuse. If it was up to me, Vick would never see the light of day again. Anyway -

Who hasn't dreamed about this at one time or other It could be an exercise in fiscal responsibility, but with that much you could be pretty frivolous and still have no worries.

- First I would give half to my family and various charities (the bulk of it to charities, actually, but still quite a bit to the family). Sort of a promise I made to myself about such a thing. I would NOT, however, just throw money at my family any time they asked for it. In fact, I would give each a sizable lump sum up front to do with as they want and - short of a medical emergency - they would not see another dime. Hell if I'm going to breed laziness and a self-entitlement, gimme-something-for-nothing mentality - more than enough of that going around. If the situation were reversed, I know I wouldn't expect anything and be very grateful for anything I did get. I expect the same from others. That aside -

- Like many (most?), I'd buy a very nice house, and mine would be sure to have plenty of acreage attached to it for privacy/quiet.

- Also the typical nice things that go w/a house, eg nice furniture etc. I'd also have a "movie room" which would be a miniature movie house.

- A nice luxury car and 4W truck for utility type stuff or "fun" drives.

- Travel a lot, and in style

The rest I would spread around various banks, buy a sizable chunk of gold as backup, and keep the investments very conservative.
Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 05-23-2010, 04:25 PM
 
Location: SC
1,926 posts, read 3,967,517 times
Reputation: 772
pay off debts, set up retirement fund, and give the rest away without telling a soul. money does not buy happiness.
Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 05-23-2010, 04:30 PM
 
Location: Wisconsin
677 posts, read 793,077 times
Reputation: 606
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTGirlNoMore View Post
Would I still have to pay txes on it? Cuz if so then I auitomatically think I've got about $50 million (give or take) to work with

Anyhow, I would (in no particular order):

~buy each of my parents a house/condo/whatever
~pay off my car
~buy myself a house/condo.
~put money aside for my nephew's education, plus a little extra
~a dream of mine - buy a large piece of land, with appropriate housing, for all of the "unwanted" animals; have housing for them (separate for each type of animal if need be); have staff to help care for them; and vet staff for the medical care - no animal turned away
Hehe, great point I went back and added in that it's after taxes. If we're daydreaming, why not go all out?

What a fantastic idea! A shelter sounds wonderful

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post
aw CT beat me to it. The animal shelter is a dream of mine too. I would also lobby HARD for MUCH tougher laws for animal abuse. If it was up to me, Vick would never see the light of day again. Anyway -

Who hasn't dreamed about this at one time or other It could be an exercise in fiscal responsibility, but with that much you could be pretty frivolous and still have no worries.

- First I would give half to my family and various charities (the bulk of it to charities, actually, but still quite a bit to the family). Sort of a promise I made to myself about such a thing. I would NOT, however, just throw money at my family any time they asked for it. In fact, I would give each a sizable lump sum up front to do with as they want and - short of a medical emergency - they would not see another dime. Hell if I'm going to breed laziness and a self-entitlement, gimme-something-for-nothing mentality - more than enough of that going around. If the situation were reversed, I know I wouldn't expect anything and be very grateful for anything I did get. I expect the same from others. That aside -

- Like many (most?), I'd buy a very nice house, and mine would be sure to have plenty of acreage attached to it for privacy/quiet.

- Also the typical nice things that go w/a house, eg nice furniture etc. I'd also have a "movie room" which would be a miniature movie house.

- A nice luxury car and 4W truck for utility type stuff or "fun" drives.

- Travel a lot, and in style

The rest I would spread around various banks, buy a sizable chunk of gold as backup, and keep the investments very conservative.
I'm glad that there are so many animal lovers on this forum

Definitely a good idea not to turn into a bank for family. That's about the only downside I can see to winning the lottery - having spoiled family members/friends try to guilt you into giving them more more more.

I absolutely copied the movie room idea! How awesome would that be?

Ooh, are we talking gold bricks here? Or jewelry? Sounds pretty awesome. And don't forget about the panic room/bank vault-esque place to store them all.
Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 05-23-2010, 04:31 PM
 
Location: Connecticut
2,728 posts, read 2,311,937 times
Reputation: 1829
JOEY - I would do the same for animal abuse. It sickens me what people get away with.
Quick reply to this message
 
Unread 05-23-2010, 04:32 PM
 
Location: Wisconsin
677 posts, read 793,077 times
Reputation: 606
Quote:
Originally Posted by froggin4colorado View Post
pay off debts, set up retirement fund, and give the rest away without telling a soul. money does not buy happiness.
Very selfless of you You're quite right that money can't buy happiness, but in some cases it can make it easier to find.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top