Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2010, 11:43 AM

6,602 posts, read 8,957,292 times

Advertisements

placing-the-blame-as-students-are-buried-in-debt: Personal Finance News from Yahoo! Finance (http://finance.yahoo.com/college-education/article/109701/placing-the-blame-as-students-are-buried-in-debt?mod=edu-collegeprep - broken link)

Quote:
She recently received a raise and now makes $22 an hour working for a photographer. It's the highest salary she's earned since graduating with an interdisciplinary degree in religious and women's studies. After taxes, she takes home about $2,300 a month. Rent runs $750, and the full monthly payments on her student loans would be about $700 if they weren't being deferred, which would not leave a lot left over.
Religious and women's studies?

Anyway, Boo-freaking-hoo. You feel bad for her reading through that article, until you see she still has $850 a month left after rent and full student loan payments (which she isn't even making). I live off 1000 a month after my base rent and full student loan payments, and I have a newer car and can afford to go out and have some fun from time to time too.

I also refuse to feel sorry for her being job-locked to San Francisco. With a degree like Religious and Women's studies it doesn't really matter where you live, why not move someplace closer to her mom (upstate NY) and/or where the chost of living is lower?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2010, 11:59 AM

1,272 posts, read 2,368,013 times
Ferris gotta agree with you on this one. Read the article and could only get back to the thought that this woman did nothing in exploring where and how much she could make after graduation. Her mother only saw the prestige from a "good school" and didn't see the related costs. Now they are boo-hooing over the fact that they were not informed over the debt and how to pay it.
Honestly at times I feel that if you can't figure out how much college is costing (get a calculator, the dollar store sells them) well maybe you shouldn't be in college.

I went to college years ago and paid for it myself via loans and hard work. Surprise, surprise I'm not working now in the field I went to college for. So what can I go back now and complain that I didn't get the job they "promised".
I got a very good education and that's all they were supposed to do for me. The rest was up to me.

Old 06-02-2010, 12:21 PM

106,388 posts, read 108,418,411 times
This is the danger of following what we like vs what can earn us a living.....
its all well and good that everyone of us desires to work at something we love and enjoy and if we can great...

but reality is we need to do what assures us the highest chance of employment at the highest pay to cover those big student loans.......

Old 06-02-2010, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseykat View Post
Honestly at times I feel that if you can't figure out how much college is costing (get a calculator, the dollar store sells them) well maybe you shouldn't be in college.
That's great.

Quote:
I went to college years ago and paid for it myself via loans and hard work. Surprise, surprise I'm not working now in the field I went to college for. So what can I go back now and complain that I didn't get the job they "promised". I got a very good education and that's all they were supposed to do for me. The rest was up to me.
You wouldn't be the first! Alumna sues college because she hasn't found a job - CNN.com (I can't believe the girl in thie article thinks that her attendance makes her attractive to potential employers)

Old 06-02-2010, 07:05 PM

211 posts, read 402,080 times
"Trina Thompson, 27....
I am also suing them because of the stress I have been going through."

I copied the above from the link provided from "ferrarisnowday"....suing for stress...I hope she never invades my world.

Old 06-03-2010, 09:07 AM

The stress of three months of unemployment after graduating with a 2.7 GPA and perfect attendance **GASP**

Old 06-03-2010, 10:38 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,875,738 times
Maybe the situation is a good example why she isn't getting hired. Its called lack of foresight.

I'm also in the boat of "worked hard to pay my own way through college". I have ZERO sympathy to folks that 'need' to go to an exclusive school to get a degree that will be tough to find a good paying job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Personal Finance