U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-06-2010, 11:00 PM
 
2,520 posts, read 5,359,724 times
Reputation: 3502

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1phwalls View Post
I don't really get the reptile thing. You can't really play with them, and if you let them out, then you have to worry about them hiding somewhere that you can't get them back out of. But it just so happens that when I moved into my last apartment, the neighbor lady was into lizards. She had several different kinds. So she told my then 8 year old son about the Cleveland reptile show. So we went one month, and all the people were talking about all the different reptile pets they have. And it was just like you said, once they brought one home they needed many more. But I can see that, I have a dog (boxer) and I want more - I just can't get more cause I live in an apartment. And now my son has toads, frogs and turtles. Even before we met her, he had always wanted the fire belly toads, well since he was 5 anyway.
I didn't get it at first either. We started w/ chameleons (veileds, panthers, jacksons) and then got a bearded dragon. From there, I wanted a leopard gecko and then fell for a uromastyx. My daughter has 3 tortoises and a crested gecko. I researched everything before purchasing. My dh always wanted to get into snakes and finally did. I didn't share his enthusiasm, but soon started appreciating their beauty and peacefulness in their movement.

We now have several, along w/ furbabies and feather babies

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
P.S. To satisfy your curiosity (and to make me drool), this is what you'd get if you mixed those two morphs... a mojave-pastel, aka "pastave" ball python. I do plan to make this combo in 2-3 years, once I raise up a female pastel or mojave from this season. It's basically a blushed-out (lighter) mojave, and can be quite stunning!

Here's the pastave: http://photos.imageevent.com/royalpy...ce_Pastave.jpg
http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/c...s/DSCF6015.jpg
http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/c...G/IMG_2037.jpg
Thanks for this info. I'll pass it onto my dh and make him drool.

Last edited by kahncss; 07-06-2010 at 11:00 PM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-09-2010, 08:45 PM
 
Location: Bay Area, CA
29,041 posts, read 45,020,548 times
Reputation: 20425
Quote:
Originally Posted by kahskye View Post
I didn't get it at first either. We started w/ chameleons (veileds, panthers, jacksons) and then got a bearded dragon. From there, I wanted a leopard gecko and then fell for a uromastyx. My daughter has 3 tortoises and a crested gecko. I researched everything before purchasing. My dh always wanted to get into snakes and finally did. I didn't share his enthusiasm, but soon started appreciating their beauty and peacefulness in their movement.

We now have several, along w/ furbabies and feather babies
They are addictive little creatures, aren't they?? I think the appeal is a combination of how easy they are to keep, combined with the HUGE variety of species/colors/morphs/sizes/etc. It's like diamonds or potato chips - you can't have just one!

I started with one Ball Python (Delilah), thinking that was all I'd want or need. A few months later I picked up a little pastel boy at the reptile show, decided he needed a girlfriend, then of course Delilah needed a future boyfriend, oh and couldn't just have pythons so now I need a corn... and thus it began. My collection is now at 9 Ball Pythons, 8 Corn Snakes, 2 Stimson's Pythons, a Jungle Carpet Python and a little Western Hognose. And I'm sure that won't be the end of it, especially now that I'm breeding. Damn!!

Quote:
Thanks for this info. I'll pass it onto my dh and make him drool.
Well, if you really want to drool, here are some of my favorite all-time morphs... see why I love these snakes??
Killer Clown: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_LAXgMorMCE...erclown_lg.jpg
Killer Bee: http://www.kingsnake.com/scr/kbee.jpg
Soul Suckers: http://www.vpi.com/sites/vpi.com/files/imagecache/gallery_preview/sites/vpi.com/files/AAAAA%20CM%20UPDATE.JPG (broken link)
Blue-Eyed Leucistic: http://www.newenglandreptile.com/forumpics/vivid1.jpg
Caramel Glow: http://kategale.files.wordpress.com/...glow_j-peg.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2010, 05:08 PM
 
Location: Cleveland, OH
753 posts, read 2,222,000 times
Reputation: 767
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
All I can say is, how many Ball Pythons are being euthanized in shelters every year? For that matter, how many snakes in general do you see in rescues? There are some, but most are Iguanas, Burmese Pythons, and other reptiles that get too big for people - who apparently didn't research before purchasing them. You'd be hard-pressed to find a Mojave Ball Python in any rescue nationwide, and if you did it'd be snatched up in 5 minutes! So it's hardly an issue of overpopulation, which is the case with dogs and cats (and the reason my four-legged pets are ALL fixed asap).
And that thought process is actually part of the problem. There wasn't always a dog and cat overpopulation problem. But now we have people that get one and think, hey I can make some money if it has babies. Just check out the craigslist pet section. People are always "rehoming" their snakes. And it is usually more than one kind. Their favorite line is, "I am downsizing".

But yeah, the snake colorations are pretty. I like mona's best. And I must be stupid, because I looked at the links you posted more than once and just realized that in the one the snakes are coming out of their eggs! At first I thought it was in a bag.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2010, 04:35 PM
 
Location: Mountains of middle TN
5,244 posts, read 14,020,439 times
Reputation: 6063
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1phwalls View Post
And that thought process is actually part of the problem. There wasn't always a dog and cat overpopulation problem. But now we have people that get one and think, hey I can make some money if it has babies. Just check out the craigslist pet section. People are always "rehoming" their snakes. And it is usually more than one kind. Their favorite line is, "I am downsizing".

But yeah, the snake colorations are pretty. I like mona's best. And I must be stupid, because I looked at the links you posted more than once and just realized that in the one the snakes are coming out of their eggs! At first I thought it was in a bag.
Are you kidding me? In the 70s we had about 12 million a year being euth'd. We're killing about 4 million a year now. So yeh, we did have a problem, but it was something few people cared about. Now people care and are doing something, and the numbers alone show up we're going in the right direction.

And if you're talking a hundred years ago, people weren't vaccinating their pets. They were dying of disease like crazy. That's how it's always been and why mother nature produces large litters in animals. Very few of each litter survive.

And yes, the back yard breeders are as much a nightmare as the puppy mills and the irresponsible pet owners.

To the OP............

They are gorgeous. A kid I went to school with had a snake he brought in once. A Rainbow something or other. When you rolled it over the underside of his belly looked like it was pearl colored. I've been fascinated with them ever since, but can't bring myself to feed one animal to another, so I'd make a lousy snake mommy. Even frozen mice / rats make me sad. I'm a wimp.

And thank you for spaying / neutering your four legged kids!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2010, 05:15 PM
 
Location: at work!
1,603 posts, read 3,153,702 times
Reputation: 8527
Can't wait to see!! How are the eggs doing?? Did you candle them??? I will try to be patient.


I said I would try!! That's the best I can do!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2010, 12:01 AM
 
Location: Bay Area, CA
29,041 posts, read 45,020,548 times
Reputation: 20425
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1phwalls View Post
And that thought process is actually part of the problem. There wasn't always a dog and cat overpopulation problem. But now we have people that get one and think, hey I can make some money if it has babies. Just check out the craigslist pet section. People are always "rehoming" their snakes. And it is usually more than one kind. Their favorite line is, "I am downsizing".
Here's a tip, from somebody in the "herp world" - the words rehoming and downsizing are usually code for "I am selling snakes," since Craigslist doesn't allow pet sales. So it's not a matter of unwanted snakes or overpopulation, just a clever way to phrase your intended business. Sometimes you'll see adult normals on there, and they probably are actually being rehomed... but those are still few in number, especially compared to dogs & cats needing adoption.

And how many snakes are euthanized every year, due to being unwanted or unadoptable? Probably none, since whenever I see a snake on PHS (Peninsula Humane Society) or SFSPCA's website, they are already adopted by the time I call. Also keep in mind that I'm breeding morphs, which are quite easy to sell if they look nice... and due to the beautiful snakes I've chosen, there's already a waiting list for my next 2-3 clutches. There's also a push to increase breeding within the US, since it cuts back on imports from the wild (who often arrive with parasites and behavioral issues).

Quote:
But yeah, the snake colorations are pretty. I like mona's best. And I must be stupid, because I looked at the links you posted more than once and just realized that in the one the snakes are coming out of their eggs! At first I thought it was in a bag.
LOL... the eggs do look a bit weird, huh? I was surprised when I first held them, because they feel like mushy dumplings - nothing like a chicken egg!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2010, 12:12 AM
 
Location: Bay Area, CA
29,041 posts, read 45,020,548 times
Reputation: 20425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blutime View Post
Can't wait to see!! How are the eggs doing?? Did you candle them??? I will try to be patient.


I said I would try!! That's the best I can do!
I have been having some humidity issues (long story), but aside from a little dimpling they're doing great! I candled them a few days ago, and saw good veins all around... couldn't get to one that's buried in the heap, but hopefully it's just like the others. Here's a candling photo:



P.S. If you're feeling impatient, imagine how I'm doing! Literally counting down the days.........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2010, 12:34 AM
 
Location: Bay Area, CA
29,041 posts, read 45,020,548 times
Reputation: 20425
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
And yes, the back yard breeders are as much a nightmare as the puppy mills and the irresponsible pet owners.
Absolutely... but just to reiterate, snakes and cats/dogs are in completely different situations. Irresponsible ownership, on the other hand, is unacceptable no matter what species you're talking about.

Quote:
To the OP............

They are gorgeous. A kid I went to school with had a snake he brought in once. A Rainbow something or other. When you rolled it over the underside of his belly looked like it was pearl colored.
Thanks! And I bet your classmate's snake was a Rainbow Boa - probably Brazilian. Definitely on my "want list," and I actually almost got one earlier this year (ended up choosing a Jungle Carpet Python instead). Is this what it looked like? http://www.reptilesweb.com/images/st...ainbow-boa.jpg

Quote:
I've been fascinated with them ever since, but can't bring myself to feed one animal to another, so I'd make a lousy snake mommy. Even frozen mice / rats make me sad. I'm a wimp.
I thought it would be a problem for me too, but I got over it real quick - now when I see a rodent, all I think is "Mmmmmm, the snakes would love that!" I also remind myself that I'm not a vegetarian, so it would be kinda hypocritical to have a problem with feeding off animals.

Quote:
And thank you for spaying / neutering your four legged kids!!
It's the responsible thing to do! I have a dog and 3 cats, who were all fixed before sexual maturity... most of my pets have been rescues, so it would defeat the purpose if I let them breed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2010, 04:13 AM
 
Location: Bay Area, CA
29,041 posts, read 45,020,548 times
Reputation: 20425
Bad news... one of the eggs is definitely infertile, and starting to mold & collapse. I thought it looked weird the first time I candled, so it wasn't surprising when I saw the mold developing - and it's still candling as empty and bright yellow. Unfortunately I can't remove the egg, since it's attached pretty well to 3 others, so I'll just leave it alone for now. People on my snake forum have suggested anti-fungal powder, in order to keep the mold from spreading. Any thoughts on that?

But on a GOOD note, the rest of the clutch is still candling nicely... and I saw my first movement!! The little snakie was thumping and squirming about, and OMG I felt like an expecting mother seeing her baby's heartbeat. Soooo cool. I'll keep updating, as they're about halfway through incubation now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2010, 05:40 PM
 
Location: Cleveland, OH
753 posts, read 2,222,000 times
Reputation: 767
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
Are you kidding me? In the 70s we had about 12 million a year being euth'd. We're killing about 4 million a year now. So yeh, we did have a problem, but it was something few people cared about. Now people care and are doing something, and the numbers alone show up we're going in the right direction.

And if you're talking a hundred years ago, people weren't vaccinating their pets. They were dying of disease like crazy. That's how it's always been and why mother nature produces large litters in animals. Very few of each litter survive.
I never said anything about the 70's, so don't get so defensive. I said it wasn't always a problem, and that it is a problem due to peoples greediness. But I should have added ignorance too because some people really don't know. I know when I was a kid I thought every dog having puppies was great too. And if I wouldn't have done my research before getting my dog, I might not have known to this day. But not everyone is going to be neurotic like me and research first when they can just go to the corner pet store and get what's cute and available. We need more public education.

And vaccinations have nothing to do with anything, but ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Here's a tip, from somebody in the "herp world" - the words rehoming and downsizing are usually code for "I am selling snakes," since Craigslist doesn't allow pet sales. So it's not a matter of unwanted snakes or overpopulation, just a clever way to phrase your intended business. Sometimes you'll see adult normals on there, and they probably are actually being rehomed... but those are still few in number, especially compared to dogs & cats needing adoption.

And how many snakes are euthanized every year, due to being unwanted or unadoptable? Probably none, since whenever I see a snake on PHS (Peninsula Humane Society) or SFSPCA's website, they are already adopted by the time I call. Also keep in mind that I'm breeding morphs, which are quite easy to sell if they look nice... and due to the beautiful snakes I've chosen, there's already a waiting list for my next 2-3 clutches. There's also a push to increase breeding within the US, since it cuts back on imports from the wild (who often arrive with parasites and behavioral issues).
If someone "rehomes or downsizes" adult anything, they are unwanted. If it's babies, they are just straight out selling. And anyone who has to sell them on craigslist is not responsible and shouldn't be breeding them. I can agree with the push to have non wild imports, but if they aren't careful they will end up with the same problem as dogs n cats is all I'm saying. Some people breed animals with good intentions. And some breed just to make a quick buck.

But as far as euthanizing snakes, it will never be an issue because people can continue to just toss them into the backyard. It's not like the warden picks up stray snakes, they are just left in the wild. Which can cause ecosystem issues down the road. It's happening in FL now with the snakes that got to big to be pets, now they are in the wild competeing with the gators for food.

And the candling photo you posted is really freaking me out! I had no idea they have veins like that! And you cansee the baby laying on the bottom! Crazy! I can't wait to show my son this thread when he comes home in August, he loves animals and he will be so fascinated. He's the reason we have rescued toads, frogs and turtles stinking up my dining room!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top