U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 01:53 AM

29,041 posts, read 44,882,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1phwalls View Post
If someone "rehomes or downsizes" adult anything, they are unwanted. If it's babies, they are just straight out selling. And anyone who has to sell them on craigslist is not responsible and shouldn't be breeding them. I can agree with the push to have non wild imports, but if they aren't careful they will end up with the same problem as dogs n cats is all I'm saying. Some people breed animals with good intentions. And some breed just to make a quick buck.
That is true, but they quickly learn there's no "fast money" in breeding snakes - especially ball pythons, who take their sweet time in doing everything! As for myself, I just bred a clutch this year for the experience... and if it turns out to be a good experience, I will breed again (with higher-end morphs) next year. Not looking to make a quick buck, but actually having dreams of making this a side-business eventually. It can take many years to get to that point, so I'll be very knowledgeable and seasoned by the time I get there.

Btw, I already have a LIST of people waiting for these snakes, including a few local pet shops... don't think I'll have any problem selling them, but if I do they always have a home right here. And I actually went to the local shelter (PHS) today, to inquire about how often they get snakes & lizards - they had a few bearded dragons and a corn snake, but no pythons of any kind. The rep said they get them fairly often, but they're usually adopted very quickly. I do plan to keep checking, since I'd love to rescue a BP!

Quote:
But as far as euthanizing snakes, it will never be an issue because people can continue to just toss them into the backyard. It's not like the warden picks up stray snakes, they are just left in the wild. Which can cause ecosystem issues down the road. It's happening in FL now with the snakes that got to big to be pets, now they are in the wild competeing with the gators for food.
That's definitely a problem in certain regions (like FL & LA), and one that the "herp community" is currently dealing with... around here a snake wouldn't last long, and most people realize it would be a death sentence to release them. Not to mention, locals would be terrified and confused if they saw a Ball Python wandering the streets. Also remember you're referring to giant pythons, like Burmese and Reticulated, which are a far cry from a BP or Corn Snake.

Quote:
And the candling photo you posted is really freaking me out! I had no idea they have veins like that! And you cansee the baby laying on the bottom! Crazy! I can't wait to show my son this thread when he comes home in August, he loves animals and he will be so fascinated. He's the reason we have rescued toads, frogs and turtles stinking up my dining room!
If you really want to be freaked, I should get some video of the movement... they're jiggling and squirming around now, and you can see it really clearly when I candle. SOOOOO neato!! We're on day 30 as of today (Tuesday), so only about 22-30 days left.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2010, 02:00 AM

29,041 posts, read 44,882,463 times
P.S. Watch out for your son, as I bet he'll be asking for a pet snake soon enough! I started with tadpoles, worms, caterpillars and frogs as a child... especially when we lived in Maryland (until I was 6), where the slimy creatures were abundant. Eventually I convinced my mom to get me a pair of leopard geckos, and later a turtle - that was the beginning of my herp addiction, LOL.

Old 07-21-2010, 03:13 PM

753 posts, read 2,216,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
P.S. Watch out for your son, as I bet he'll be asking for a pet snake soon enough! I started with tadpoles, worms, caterpillars and frogs as a child... especially when we lived in Maryland (until I was 6), where the slimy creatures were abundant. Eventually I convinced my mom to get me a pair of leopard geckos, and later a turtle - that was the beginning of my herp addiction, LOL.

Oh he's already asked! LOL I can't afford any more pets though. So he'll have to wait until he's got a paycheck of his own!

Snakes are cool and all, but I can live without them. But I'm sure one day in the distant future they will become a roommate of mine too.

He also wants salamanders.

I told him the ark stocking is on hold!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets