U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 07:06 PM

3,748 posts, read 6,151,367 times

Advertisements

I'd say the most atypical pet was the rescued raccoon. It was fun to have but also a nusance. I never intended to keep it so when it got old enough I left the door open so it could come and go. It came home every night for about a month and then one day he never came home.
I have and have had several exotic pets; iguana, geckos, bearded dragon, African Grey parrot.
My dad was an entomologist so we have had many living insects; ants, butterflies & beetles.

We currently have a house chicken, Isis. She loves to cuddle

Have had lots of farm animals- goats, chickens, ducks, turkeys, rabbits. And the usual cats, dogs, rats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2013, 01:43 PM

3,583 posts, read 5,744,097 times
Pot bellied pig. She was very smart and could be quite naughty. Cute, cute,cute tho.
I would consider one again if I had fewer dogs but only if I still lived in a climate where he/she could use a doggy door year round. They are pretty damanding pets time and effort wise when kept strickly indoors.

Old 12-14-2013, 10:19 PM

4 posts, read 2,922 times
I have three male fancy rats and a half wild house mouse mother to be....

Old 12-14-2013, 10:37 PM

9,421 posts, read 17,398,135 times
It wasn't really unusual, but when I was a wee tot I had a pet pigeon. I think I'd climbed up in the rafters of the barn and stole it out of it's nest before it could fly, then raised it myself in a vacant chicken coop on the farm. After a few weeks it would sit on my shoulder everywhere I went, even in the house once, where it flew across the room and broke one of my mom's lamps. That was the last time it went in the house!

Pidge was my buddy all that summer, then took off to join the other pigeons in the fall. Every now and then, for the next couple years, he'd momentarily leave the flock of pigeons he was with and fly down and land on my shoulder for a few minutes, then take off again.

Old 12-15-2013, 01:06 AM

170 posts, read 264,869 times
I have had so many. The most unusual animals I had were duprasi, a type of gerbil that looks similar to a dwarf hamster with a fat tail. Neat little animals.

I have had hedgies, chinchillas, ferrets, all kinds of typical rodent pets, and a prairie dog.

Right now, I have a chinchilla who will be 16 in march, 2 flemish giant mix rabbits, some frogs and geckos and cockroaches (feeders). And dogs and cats.

Old 12-20-2013, 10:46 AM

4 posts, read 3,687 times
I caught a mole one time as a child but i let it go after a couple of days.

Old 12-21-2013, 07:03 AM

315 posts, read 483,810 times
Oddest pet my dad owned was definitely an Octopus... he also had tarantulas, scorpions, etc. I haven't owned anything too "odd" hence why I used my Dad as an example.

Old 12-21-2013, 07:07 AM

18,852 posts, read 31,722,131 times
We had a Mynah bird, it was a stupid, filthy creature. I am not even sure why we had it. It lived in a large cage in the living room, and would bite. Made these odd noises, the only word it could say, was the dog's name....over and over, it would call the dog, and he would run in the living room, looking for who called him...maybe that bird di it in purpose, to mess with the dog....

Old 12-26-2013, 05:28 PM

9,984 posts, read 6,765,324 times
i had a pet white-winged dove named Bobby, mended his broken wing as a child..
he healed up and i released him.

Old 12-30-2013, 08:55 AM

13,821 posts, read 18,794,708 times
I also have had my slew of parrots , you name it we had it in the way of birds ...ugh the nasty to have to clean up ...LOL then the box turtle who loved alpo meat balls yep the dog food . Everytime that turtle saw that red can he ran for the door on his cage and I would get the spoon and yep he would take it from the spoon it took me about an hour to feed him or her but that turtle was a hoot . He lived with me for about 15 yrs and then it died, I cried like a baby when we buried the little one .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or