U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 07:16 PM

3,684 posts, read 10,999,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Does a child count as a pet ? :P
Nope because if they misbehave you aren't allowed to crate them...so sad really.

I thought having racoons were unsual but you guys got me all beat!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2007, 05:38 AM

1,210 posts, read 1,106,430 times
Default Lizard

My cute little lizard

Last edited by junkman18; 09-03-2007 at 09:25 AM..

Old 06-22-2007, 05:46 AM

Location: Boonies of Georgia ~~~~ nuttier than a squirrel turd !
1,950 posts, read 4,733,798 times
My son has an Alligator Snapping Turtle. One we rescued off of a highway.
He once had a pet Gar. (Please no redneck jokes, I've heard them all!!! LOL)

Old 06-22-2007, 02:01 PM

1,210 posts, read 1,106,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theqbaby View Post
My son has an Alligator Snapping Turtle. One we rescued off of a highway.
He once had a pet Gar. (Please no redneck jokes, I've heard them all!!! LOL)
I am sure you know what those turtles can do to finger

Old 06-22-2007, 03:31 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,189,869 times
Paging STEVE-O! Paging STEVE-O!!

Too adorbale, guys!!
Saw a skunk in a pet shop but we had too many dogs, so I relentlessly hounded my grandmother & big sister (to push influence) to get this skunk until grnadma finally caved. He kept chewing her carpets and we ended up having to take him back, but it was sure cool to visit her for that month.
(This was the '70s, won't go near pet shops now:>)

Old 07-02-2007, 10:35 AM

5 posts, read 17,157 times
Default climbing turtle

As a kid I had a painted turtle that loved me to fed it flies. I would take my paraket plastic ladder and put it in the water at an angle and put the fly on top. Sam, would watch me and then slowly climb it to the top, grab it and fall back down. He also would come up on his back legs, sort of stand and reach for flies that I hubg in front of him. Havn't thought of that in YEARS!

Old 07-02-2007, 01:57 PM

16,482 posts, read 21,088,666 times
Default Most unusual pet

As a child we had a pet skunk (de-scented, although like ferrets etc. they still have a musky smell). It did not like my dad and everyday when he came home and took his shoes off to relax that thing came running out of nowhere to bite his toes.

Old 07-11-2007, 01:45 PM

3 posts, read 10,950 times
When I was younger, my grandmother had an American Alligator that was about 6 feet long and she kept it in a custom made bath tub type enclosure. She kept it for years in Seattle until she donated it to a local small family zoo. It scared the crap out of me as a child! I was able to feed it huge salmon and rabbits. It was sad at the time, but taught me alot at the same time. Never will I own one though. Way too dangerous!

Old 07-12-2007, 12:46 PM

2,949 posts, read 12,180,656 times
A gibbon, baby chimp, baby McCaws. This was many years ago.

The gibbon was such a sweet creature and was totally attached to my brother and even took on his mannerisms. Sadly, she strangled to death - it was heartbreaking.

The chimp was a baby whose mother had been killed by poachers. Oh, she was so sweet. My mom potty trained her - it was priceless. We arranged to have her shipped to the states during our home leave. We left her in excellent care, but she died of a broken heart (yes, it really does happen). She stopped eating. Even to this day it is overwhelmingly heartbreaking to retell this story.

The McCaws had a much happier ending. We kept a number of them and hand fed them until they could manage on their own. They were all such wonderful creatures. We did this for the zoo when we lived in Jamaica. Once they were old enough, they were turned back to the zoo.

Old 07-13-2007, 12:46 AM

797 posts, read 2,743,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canibeyou View Post
What's the most unusual animal you've had as a pet? I used to have a hedgehog, but she passed away last year. They only live for about 3 years. Great little pets, but heartbreaking they don't live longer.
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y164/canibeyou/hedgie.jpg (broken link)
Sorry about your loss, we had a hedgehog as well but he lived well beyond 3 years, in fact so long that after we got our first pug we ended up adopting our little "Bingo" out to a friend. They are very interesting pets, nobody could hold him except me and my DH, he was too pokey for everyone else. I loved giving him baths, he was so cute waddling in the water in the bathroom sink. I will try to dig up some pics to scan and share later, we had him before we went digital.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or