U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 06:51 PM

5,826 posts, read 8,648,873 times

Advertisements

I can't believe I am the first to admit this - - - I had a pet rock. I didn't have any money when the pet rock craze came out, but my dad brought one home when I asked if I could have a pet rock. He told me he picked it up from a private breeder just for me. And it was a purebred.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2008, 07:00 PM

1,836 posts, read 4,457,256 times
I raised and trained animals to work in the movies, so I've had them all in my house (as babies). My own personal unique "pets" were a capuchin monkey, flying squirrel and prairie dogs.

Old 04-04-2008, 03:29 AM

5,981 posts, read 16,317,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceT View Post
I can't believe I am the first to admit this - - - I had a pet rock. I didn't have any money when the pet rock craze came out, but my dad brought one home when I asked if I could have a pet rock. He told me he picked it up from a private breeder just for me. And it was a purebred.
I think you may be the only one to ever admit that, Alice! But next time find a rescue rock - they are so grateful for a new home! I have a whole yard full, by the way, and would be ever so happy to consider you for adoption. There's only a 13 page questionnaire to fill out. No adoption fee, but you pay shipping....

Old 04-04-2008, 03:58 AM

5,826 posts, read 8,648,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
I think you may be the only one to ever admit that, Alice! But next time find a rescue rock - they are so grateful for a new home! I have a whole yard full, by the way, and would be ever so happy to consider you for adoption. There's only a 13 page questionnaire to fill out. No adoption fee, but you pay shipping....
Yes well, now that I am older and wiser - and have not one, but two gravel driveways, I seem to be swamped with my own pet rock rescue. I have many to care for, but you know, the true pet rock lovers always have room for one more, no matter what. And way back in the day, my dad would never have paid for any old rock. I suspect he caught it from the side of the road, bruched it off and gave his daughter a tale to remember. Just a suspicion I have always held.

Old 04-08-2008, 11:53 AM

5,081 posts, read 12,967,345 times
Our friend's mother used to have a pet catfish named Blackie.

Some kids caught it out of the river but it was too small to eat so they gave it to her and she put it in her backyard fountain pond.

She dug worms from the garden for him, and when she fed him, he would come up to the edge of the pond and wrap one of his whiskers around her finger and "vibrate".

I don't exactly know what she meant by "vibrate" but she believed that they were communicating.

She kept him for about seven years and when she got too old to care for him, she was afraid the raccoons would come and eat him so she gave him to a friend who put him in her pond and he lived another two or three years.

Old 05-20-2008, 10:27 AM

11,435 posts, read 17,143,009 times
I have a sparrow named big bird, I had another sparrow for 7 years named Goofy Bird

Old 05-21-2008, 08:05 AM

2,358 posts, read 5,469,370 times
When I lived in Africa, an African friend knew I missed my pets at home in the U.S. (staying with my parents) so he brought me a mongoose. My best friend there (another Peace Corps Volunteer in my town) and I named her Elsie Jean after her mom and my mom. Elsie Jean LOVED us. She'd crawl on our shoulders and eat from our hands and made sounds very similar to a guinea pig. She had her own room in my house and I'd go to the market daily to buy her raw fish to eat. She'd kill any lizard or snake that got on the grounds of my house and she chased dogs away. I loved that little creature. Unfortunately, I couldn't take her home with me. I left her with an African friend, but I don't know what happened to her . I don't condone keeping a wild animal as a pet, but she sure made me happy while I was there.

Old 05-21-2008, 11:38 AM

5,077 posts, read 13,060,219 times
I had a tarantula when i was a kid, it's name was Herby LOL - My mother was not happy about this and my Dad and I thought it was the coolest thing. Now I have two horses and three cats. They are not unusual animals - although they are strange from time to time. HAHA

Old 05-30-2008, 01:33 AM

423 posts, read 1,330,087 times
What a great thread! I love the pics, the hedgehog is too cute!

I haven't had any really unusual pets (well, my cat can be a bit strange...) but I've always wanted a pet ring-tailed lemur. They are soooo adorable.

http://www.naturalphotos.com/sekercioglu/madagascar/images/MG8-TnZoo-RTLE.jpg (broken link)

Or maybe one of those tame silver foxes from Russia.

Tame Silver Fox - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I had a neighbor in college with a chinchilla, they are pretty neat. And when my mom was a kid, back in the 50's, she had a pet rooster that would follow her to school.

Old 05-30-2008, 08:55 PM

5,244 posts, read 14,016,817 times
I had a prairie dog in the mid 90s.

Currently I have 2 land tortoises, sulcatas, the third largest land tortoise species in the world. They've got dog personalities. And my female is best friends with the pet chickens. If we aren't out there, they stay right by her, like she's their personal armored body guard. I even have one that hops on her back for a ride.

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r246/MRS1885/Pets/Chickens/Pensandcritters132.jpg (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or