Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 09:56 AM

4,486 posts, read 5,223,738 times

Advertisements

Almost daily there is news story about children or pets being left in a vehicle,alone,with the windows rolled up. Too often with tragic results. So, what happens to the parents /caregivers/pet owners that do this? Not enough in most cases. Perhaps the legal system should be a little more 'creative' at times. Why can't we make the punishment fit the crime? Make them spend some quality time in the same dangerous situation they put their child or pet in? Sometimes drastic measures are called for. Would it violate their righs? Sure, but what about the hell the child or pet was put through? If you think this too harsh, sorry. Perhaps if you experinced it from the victims point of view,you might see things differently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2010, 08:00 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,930,375 times
In my city it is illegal to leave an animal in a car if the outside temp exceeds 70 degrees.

Old 07-05-2010, 02:56 AM

1,587 posts, read 7,526,217 times
It is illegal and some still do it as ignorant. I almost smashed a window out 2 years ago as dog locked in car told chief deputy he called animal control and man got there at same time all he got is a little animal abuse charge and dog took away. I wish like said in begining do same as they did to the kid or animal.

Old 07-05-2010, 08:43 AM

751 posts, read 2,480,999 times
People are stupid, and you can't fix stupid!

Laws are not "harsh" for pet owners because pets are still considered property.

Laws are not "harsh" for parents of the kids because the courts think the parents have suffered enough just losing their child that way.

We can not lock these people in their cars because it would be considered cruel and unusual puishment. But maybe the cops should stop for a donut on their way to jail and "forget" about them for 30 minutes or so while they share war stories. I mean hey, if the kids parents can forget about their own offspring, I'm sur a cop can forget about the worthless baby killer in the back of the cruiser.

Old 07-05-2010, 08:59 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,654,429 times
We had a guy out here, the owner of a well-known group of theatres, accused of leaving his dog in the car while he went in one of his theatres, to watch a movie perhaps? Who knows? They ticketed him, but don't remember what else happened after. And, last year a mother was arrested for leaving her kid in car while it was hot--she forgot about her being in the car or something. There are no words to define such behavior--are there??

Old 07-05-2010, 09:09 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,930,375 times
Last summer I verbally confronted a woman who I watched leave her toddler in the car (she parked next to me) when it was 80 degrees. Had I not been able to locate her quickly in the grocery store she entered I was going to call LE. She was very defensive and verbally abusive to me remarking how the windows were cracked and unlocked. Unlocked? How is a toddler buckled into a child seat going to get out if they get too hot? Next time I see this happen with a child or animal I will just call LE, no "nice" efforts to appeal to common sense.

It hasn't happened yet but usually a child or two dies every summer in my city because someone "forgets them" in the hot car. The animals, who knows, those rarely make the news unless they are discovered by LE and the person is charged.

Old 07-05-2010, 09:13 AM

751 posts, read 2,480,999 times
What is LE?

Old 07-05-2010, 09:19 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,083,908 times
LE - law enforcement .

Old 07-05-2010, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix lady View Post
We had a guy out here, the owner of a well-known group of theatres, accused of leaving his dog in the car while he went in one of his theatres, to watch a movie perhaps? Who knows? They ticketed him, but don't remember what else happened after. And, last year a mother was arrested for leaving her kid in car while it was hot--she forgot about her being in the car or something. There are no words to define such behavior--are there??
Yes, there are words to describe these 'people'. All of which should not be used in polite company

Old 07-05-2010, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1phwalls View Post
People are stupid, and you can't fix stupid!

Laws are not "harsh" for pet owners because pets are still considered property.

Laws are not "harsh" for parents of the kids because the courts think the parents have suffered enough just losing their child that way.

We can not lock these people in their cars because it would be considered cruel and unusual puishment. But maybe the cops should stop for a donut on their way to jail and "forget" about them for 30 minutes or so while they share war stories. I mean hey, if the kids parents can forget about their own offspring, I'm sur a cop can forget about the worthless baby killer in the back of the cruiser.
Very good idea! Maybe 2 donuts. In all honesty though, the legal system needs to revise how these cases are handled. I live in Colorado, about 2 weeks ago we had incident where the parents left their infant in the car while they had lunch. The police were called and after being questioned the parents were allowed to take the baby home. They claimed to have forgotten that she was with them. WTF are these people doing out in public anyway? It's scary!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets