U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Veterinary: pets, medication, driving distance, pet food, university, college.

Old 06-21-2007, 10:53 PM

4,948 posts, read 16,472,424 times

Advertisements

what do you do when a vet is a person who is out for money. she works hardly ever, and killed my dog, why, she on a week day no back up vet.

oh yes, pay for a dog, sick, old, the puppy died at 6:00 in my arms, thank Dr Vet and a bill, for ? the dog did die it my arms, trying to breath?l
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2007, 03:46 AM

5,981 posts, read 16,276,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiekate View Post
what do you do when a vet is a person who is out for money. she works hardly ever, and killed my dog, why, she on a week day no back up vet.

oh yes, pay for a dog, sick, old, the puppy died at 6:00 in my arms, thank Dr Vet and a bill, for ? the dog did die it my arms, trying to breath?l
Maggie - what did your dog die OF? It could have been something like parvo, which many, many dogs don't pull out of. We need a little more info...and where do you live that there isn't an emergency vet clinic within driving distance?

I understand your grief over your dog, but I'm not sure your dog dying indicates the vet is only in it for the money.

Old 06-25-2007, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
Maggie - what did your dog die OF? It could have been something like parvo, which many, many dogs don't pull out of. We need a little more info...and where do you live that there isn't an emergency vet clinic within driving distance?

I understand your grief over your dog, but I'm not sure your dog dying indicates the vet is only in it for the money.
know what, I have no idea. I brought the dog there because she did not want to eat. I called the office 3 times and was told they would call me.
at 20 minutes of 6 i said I am coming down there since my dog was the next one the vet was seeing. When i got there the vet gave me a bill for 299.00
without even asking me if i wanted to have whatever she claims she did done.

then she calls on the cell phone and tells me to come get medicine and she said she had no idea why the dog is sick and to be sure the dogs eats even if i had to force feed the dog. I think the vet should have talked to me first and asked me why i brought the dog in and what the dog was doing so different. I never would have agreeded to 299.00 unless i knew why and what. as she also wished to do teeth cleaning and i said no way for a dog over age 14. last year the dog did get her teeth done.

Old 06-25-2007, 01:53 PM

110 posts, read 576,293 times
Maggie - Again, I am so sorry for your loss. Thank goodness you were with you beloved pet when it died. From what you have said, it sounds like your vet did not communicate well with you and was not responding appropriately to what was an emergency situation. There are so many things here that send off red flags - telling you she had no idea what was wrong with your bichon, and then telling you to pick up medications??? What was she treating it for? And telling you to "force" a sick dog to eat is absurd. Did she ever ask you what pet food the dog was eating? Certainly, with all of the contamination of pet food, that should have been brought up.

You might want to call your state's legal referral service. Explain that you think you may have a case of vet malpractice, and they will put you in touch with a lawyer who deals with such claims. It costs nothing to chat with them over the phone, and they can tell you if you have a case.

I would strongly encourage you to contact your state's veterinary medical association website and find out how to lodge a complaint. You could also contact the university in your state that has a college of veterinary science and ask them how to go about doing this. (We use Kansas State's school of vet science - they're great.)

Also, for you and any other pet lovers who may read this, it is possible to research a vet's history of malpractice or complaints lodged against him/her before you decide on a vet. That's what we did when we got our bichon babies 7 years ago. Our vet is excellent, and in 25 years of service never had a complaint filed against him.

I know you're grieving, but don't beat yourself up with thinking that you might have done something differently. You did everything you could. Take care.

Old 06-25-2007, 06:55 PM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 8,683,349 times
Quote:

I am so sorry for your loss....it's so terrible!
I am VERY, VERY picky with my vets.....and had 2 bad ones so far. (but, I figured that out just after 1 visit....so, no harm done!)
I have a VERY simple way on telling, if a vet is worth it.....or not.
I have 2 large dogs (95 and 85 lbs.), and they CAN'T be lifted on a table....and WON'T go on ANY table. The exam NEEDS to take place ....on the floor.
If a vet I would be going to, insisted of getting them on a table, when he/ she knew they won't....I WILL walk out (did that once!)
A vet doesn't pass in my book, when they are trying to do something, which is conveniant to THEM...but not for the animal.
I need somebody working WITH my pups, and not trying to go against them, causing anxiaty and stress.
Both of the vets I have now (one in Palm City/ FL and one in Bloomsburg/ PA) WILL go down on the FLOOR, to interact, exam, and treat my dogs.....and THAT alone wins me over.
They are certainly NOT afraid, to get themselves dirty, that's for sure.
Also, my vet in FL does housecalls as well!!!!

Old 06-26-2007, 09:05 AM

hi, 2 yrs ago she said the dog had kidney desease I asked for a urine test, she said, that will make no difference. 6 months later the dog was real queit and would not eat there was a vet from India who looked at her blood work with a sad look. he then did a complete blood panel, came in and said with a big smile every test came back perfect. the dog was on a kidney diet per the vet who said kidney illness. When she called me and left a message on the cell phone it said something is making her liver and body not well. I think I had the cure all for liver. also she then stated I have no clue what is wrong.
I also have never heard of making a person or pet eat when they do not wish to.the dog was drinking her water and resting here with me, and showed no sign of pain at all.

Old 06-26-2007, 01:33 PM

31 posts, read 169,528 times
Default does sound like the case was mismanaged at best

Quote:
know what, I have no idea. I brought the dog there because she did not want to eat. I called the office 3 times and was told they would call me.
at 20 minutes of 6 i said I am coming down there since my dog was the next one the vet was seeing. When i got there the vet gave me a bill for 299.00
without even asking me if i wanted to have whatever she claims she did done.

then she calls on the cell phone and tells me to come get medicine and she said she had no idea why the dog is sick and to be sure the dogs eats even if i had to force feed the dog. I think the vet should have talked to me first and asked me why i brought the dog in and what the dog was doing so different. I never would have agreeded to 299.00 unless i knew why and what. as she also wished to do teeth cleaning and i said no way for a dog over age 14. last year the dog did get her teeth done.

Sorry about what happened to her. It does sound like the case may not have been handled properly. I used to work at a vet clinic where stuff like this went on b/c of incompetence. Very sorry. have you filed a complaint w/ the AVMA yet? Try this site: Toasty's Veterinary Malpractice FAQ

Lahoma
Home

Old 06-26-2007, 02:20 PM

no, I have done nothing yet. First, I do want to get the ashes back,
then the records for the Australian terrier, however her records are the basic shots all dogs get. Also what does upset me when, and she did say call, if I had a problem, and holding a dead dog, in my arms at 6:a.m? her reply we can do an do an autopsy for you, and do the burial. I said do I need to decide now, YES. i went and said I will be back for the ashes, and copy of my 299.00? I do wonder if it was really done? I did learn and I do hope we all do becareful who you do chose to care for you, a child, parent, and beloved pet. And ask questions, before what did happen to me, when you are in shock.

Old 06-28-2007, 06:59 PM

hi, just a follow-up per my orignal post: Today Thursday, 6-28-07 I pick the mail up, get the magazine for the dogs needing heartworm, Rabies etc.,?
Hello, they had a 3 year rabbies etc. Then around 4 p.m. I get a called asking from this vet., would I like to bring the dogs in for their wellness visit fecal exam and kennel shot? Hello, this dog I have, is inside, out for maybe 20 minutes per day? never gets boarded, and is not ill. I just did reply for what? To collect 150.00 more? no I did not say this, however did think it.

Old 06-29-2007, 04:12 AM

5,981 posts, read 16,276,896 times
First of all, find a new vet if you aren't pleased with the care your pet is receiving.

Secondly - I don't know where you are at - although there IS a 2 or 3 year rabies, it is not honored by every state...many manufacturers now make the longer lasting rabies, but many states, such as ours, require the shot yearly for licensing purposes. Find out about the law in your state. It sound to me like there may be a paperwork issue on that, but at any rate.....

It doesn't matter if your dog is out 20 minutes or 20 hours per day. The fecal is to check for intestinal parasites, which most dogs will have from time to time. Hooks, tapes, whips can all cause your dog to have issues with keeping weight on and/or being anemic. It's a good test to have, regardless of anything else.

The bordatella....it CAN be waived, but know that if you had an emergency and had to board your dog, this is something that will be required. It is a respiratory disease - and a dog that has been ill can shed the organism for MONTHS after being ill. So even if your dog breathes the air of another dog next door it could become ill. This is high season for the spread of such since many people are boarding their dogs while on vacation.

I think it's worth the money, as there is a period of time for it to take effect...you could HAVE to board your dog and it is at risk if the injection is given at the time of boarding.

If you feel you aren't receiving adequate medical care for your pet, by all means gather your vet records and go somewhere else - but it is very possible your first pet died of bordetella, or pneumonia as a secondary complication.

Some vets, as regular physicians, just have no bedside manner.....but you deserve an explanation and an opportunity to approve treatment. If it is an emergency, I am sure you would WANT the vet to do whatever is necessary, but you should have a vet who is willing to sit down and explain what is being done and why.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or