U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 09:14 AM

408 posts, read 697,492 times

Advertisements

At one time I had 2 pet ferrets. One of them was 3 or 4 when we got him, he was really sweet (he used his litter box quite well and expected a treat after everytime, he even pretended to use it to get a treat!) the other ferret was younger about 1 yr. old and he was really mean, even though he had his distemper shot. They do smell if you don't scoop their cage often enough. They also had a thing for stealing/destroying my shoes. I lost 3 pairs because they would chew them up! In the end, we got rid of them they were too much for us to handle. I personally, will never own them again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2010, 03:26 PM

6,662 posts, read 26,233,666 times
The distemper shot is to protect from canine distemper, think of it as a deadly flu virus.
It does not control their temperment. Sounds as thou the one year old did not get enough playtime, they need 4 hours a day outside of the cage.

Old 07-30-2010, 02:20 PM

2,520 posts, read 5,347,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcody View Post
At one time I had 2 pet ferrets. One of them was 3 or 4 when we got him, he was really sweet (he used his litter box quite well and expected a treat after everytime, he even pretended to use it to get a treat!) the other ferret was younger about 1 yr. old and he was really mean, even though he had his distemper shot. They do smell if you don't scoop their cage often enough. They also had a thing for stealing/destroying my shoes. I lost 3 pairs because they would chew them up! In the end, we got rid of them they were too much for us to handle. I personally, will never own them again.
BBM - Puppies also destroy/chew shoes too, not just ferrets. Sounds like they weren't being supervised during playtime.

Old 07-30-2010, 02:24 PM

Quote:
BBM - Puppies also destroy/chew shoes too, not just ferrets. Sounds like they weren't being supervised during playtime

Actually they were out the whole time we were home, they were always in the same room as us. And I have 2 dogs, which haven't destroyed anything.

Old 07-30-2010, 02:26 PM

They didn't destroy each shoe, it was either one or the other. And I guess I shouldn't of said "destroyed" but they definitely chewed holes in them---the younger one was very aggressive and he used to hide my shoes as well. "ferret" means little thief in latin.

Old 07-30-2010, 03:18 PM

Something about foot odor attracts them, probably also why they love old dirty socks. I had one girl who loved to sleep at my feet at night. Shoes just amaze them, when we are in the bathroom they will climb all over our shoes.

Old 07-31-2010, 05:42 AM

5,065 posts, read 13,715,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcody View Post
we got rid of them they were too much for us to handle. I personally, will never own them again.
How did you "get rid of them"?

We used to have two ferrets, both were from shelters. Each of them had been turned loose in the wild to fend for themselves, which of course they can't do. They were a lot of fun, very playful. Neither would use a litterbox other than to play in, so we put newspaper in their cages, where they would back into corners to do their business. Also on the floors, we let them out to play several times a day. In the summers when it heated up and the humidity was high, they smelled really bad, I mean really bad. They also don't do well in hot temperatures, it's hard on them physically. In cooler, non-humid weather the smell was not bad, just musky. We had them 3-4 years before they each developed some kind of cancer/disease. Because of our humid summers and the smell that came with it, if our youngest child ever wants a ferret I would have to say no. Otherwise, they make great, mischievous pets for someone who has the time to regularly play with them and keep a watchful eye out for their safety, they will get into all sorts of places. I found them to be much more of a high maintenance pet than say a cat, or hamster/guinea pig etc.

On a side note, I love the smell of horses, it's one of my favorite smells. Mucking out stalls never bothered me at all, at least smell-wise.

Old 07-31-2010, 07:51 PM

Having researched other pets. I would get a skunk next time.
Skunks get a bit larger and they seem to be hardier for that. Skunks are as social as ferrets but are far more cuddly. They do need their diet closely watched to keep nutrition balanced. I understand skunks need to lie on the bed like a cat and sleep with us. Their lifespan is longer.

Old 08-10-2010, 09:29 PM

17,288 posts, read 21,145,307 times
I work the nite shift, and on my 3 nights off, I take my leash-trained ferret for 2-3 hour walks around the neighborhood at night, between midnite and 5am. For some reason, I just can't get my ferret to walk during the daytime.

But, even tho' he doesn't have a watch, it's uncanny that he knows when midnite is on my days off, as he'll start reminding me, as early as 11pm, that a long walk is forthcoming. And God forbid, I should not walk him any of those nights, as he'd pester me to no end until I did!

Normally, I just let him wander about outside and we, sometimes, will walk up to 2-3 miles from the house. He's fascinated with culverts, pipes of any kind, and must stick his head into any drainage pipe or eavespout coming from a house.

Being ferrets are heat-sensitive, I carry a spray bottle with me, so if it looks like he's going to overheat, I'll spray him down with cold water.

He loves to chase bugs and he'll, occasionally, eat some of them.

All the ferrets I've ever owned have loved bananas. I usually take a chunk of banana, mash it down with a fork, and they'll lap up every piece of it.

And mine loves whisky and club soda too, which I give him a couple sips of, now and then. If I allowed it, he'd probably drink the whole glass.

Old 08-11-2010, 12:10 PM

821 posts, read 742,276 times
I never personally owned a ferret. My 4th grade teacher used to have one as the class pet. It was mean and used to snip at us from the cage. Granted that might be because it was surrounded by fourth graders. :/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets