U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-11-2006, 01:35 PM
 
15 posts, read 35,272 times
Reputation: 12

Advertisements

Hi, Does anyone know how I would move my animals, 2 miniture ponies,2 mini donkeys,1 goat,1 lamb and a handful of chickens from Wi. to NC. I don't have a trailer and would not ever have a need to buy one since they are just pets, not for show or anything. But I am moving and want very badly to bring them with me. I have been looking at homes that would be perfect but I don't know how to get them there. Any idea's please??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-11-2006, 01:52 PM
 
Location: Cornelius
2,314 posts, read 2,007,664 times
Reputation: 287
Can you rent something?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2006, 01:58 PM
 
15 posts, read 35,272 times
Reputation: 12
Well that's what I'm kinda of thinking too. But I' don't know who I would call to rent something from for a one way trip. Or a person who might do that kind of thing. Haul animals? I'm confused where to look into it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2006, 02:05 PM
 
Location: Cornelius
2,314 posts, read 2,007,664 times
Reputation: 287
What part of the state are you moving to? You maybe able to find an Horse stable that may be willing to let you rent it. Obviously though you would have to ride down a get it. Kinda tricky situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2006, 02:10 PM
 
321 posts, read 1,397,857 times
Reputation: 138
There are companies that haul horses, that would be your best bet. With as many animals as you are bringing, you want to put them in the hands of a professional. Do an internet search for horse transport. Make sure they're insured and have references. However, your chickens and maybe even the lamb might do well in crates to ride along with you, if you have space. It might be pricey to bring them down, but it's one of the responsibilities of livestock ownership, and I know you'll be so much happier if they get to move with you. Where are you moving that you can have such a menagerie -- sounds wonderful to me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2006, 02:11 PM
 
Location: State of Bliss :-)
463 posts, read 1,493,588 times
Reputation: 164
Hi,

Be sure to check the local ordinances and make sure they are allowed. Zoning is a good place to start. You can call the zoning authorites in the area in which you are looking. There are a number of companies that ship horses and ponies ( probably donkies too) but you could probably buy a good used trailer that is much less expensive than hauling all those will cost you, especially with gas prices being what they are now.

Check around your local area ( especially with the horse people) and see if there is someone local you can pay to do it. Be sure to ask for references. You can also do an Internet search in your local area for horse message boards, forums, etc. that may be able to help you. Also the ponies will need a current Coggins test and a health certificate from a Vet before you bring them into the state. The health certificate needs to be within 30 days of the move. I don't know about the donkeys, lamb, goat or chickens so you might want to check into that.

Here is the URL for the NC Dept of Agriculture. I recommend calling them about any requirement you may need to know about re: the other animals.

http://www.ncagr.com/

Good luck!

Cassie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiccum
Hi, Does anyone know how I would move my animals, 2 miniture ponies,2 mini donkeys,1 goat,1 lamb and a handful of chickens from Wi. to NC. I don't have a trailer and would not ever have a need to buy one since they are just pets, not for show or anything. But I am moving and want very badly to bring them with me. I have been looking at homes that would be perfect but I don't know how to get them there. Any idea's please??

Last edited by Cassie; 08-11-2006 at 03:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2006, 02:14 PM
 
15 posts, read 35,272 times
Reputation: 12
I'm moving to the Western side but not 100% sure where yet. I love a home in Edneyville and I am also looking into a home in Rutherfortton. That would be one way I suppose but I could rent from here then too. It's just so many trips when I only need one way.Please, any other thoughts though, I sure apprecite it. I need to think of something.THANK YOU
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2006, 06:20 PM
 
Location: State of Bliss :-)
463 posts, read 1,493,588 times
Reputation: 164
P.S.

If you don't have a trailer and your animals aren't accustomed to trailering, I highly recommend that you pay someone who will come over and help you load them and take them for a few short hops and a few even longer ones. I don't know your situation, so pardon me if I'm assuming too much here but, IMHO about the last thing you need is a case of stress colic and possibly torsion while your ponies and donkeys are on the road.

Regards,

Cassie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassie
Hi,

Be sure to check the local ordinances and make sure they are allowed. Zoning is a good place to start. You can call the zoning authorites in the area in which you are looking. There are a number of companies that ship horses and ponies ( probably donkies too) but you could probably buy a good used trailer that is much less expensive than hauling all those will cost you, especially with gas prices being what they are now.

Check around your local area ( especially with the horse people) and see if there is someone local you can pay to do it. Be sure to ask for references. You can also do an Internet search in your local area for horse message boards, forums, etc. that may be able to help you. Also the ponies will need a current Coggins test and a health certificate from a Vet before you bring them into the state. The health certificate needs to be within 30 days of the move. I don't know about the donkeys, lamb, goat or chickens so you might want to check into that.

Here is the URL for the NC Dept of Agriculture. I recommend calling them about any requirement you may need to know about re: the other animals.

http://www.ncagr.com/

Good luck!

Cassie

Last edited by Cassie; 08-11-2006 at 07:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2006, 07:53 PM
 
15 posts, read 35,272 times
Reputation: 12
Some great advice. Thank you so much. My hobby farm is in a little town way North in Wis. It's small and fun to have. I am going to check into all these idea's. I will do a serch as suggested for a hauler. that would be the ticket. AND, I never even heard of torsion. I am looking it up to right away. I MUST have a safe trip for them. It may sound silly but they are like my babies.I know of the test and everything already so I'm good there. And They have been approved for the homes I'm looking into so far as far as deed ristrictions.Good there too.
I will be gone for the weekend but when I get back I will look into all advice.Any and all others is still welcomed.Thank you. Very nice place this forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2006, 08:05 PM
 
286 posts, read 1,507,054 times
Reputation: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiccum
Some great advice. Thank you so much. My hobby farm is in a little town way North in Wis. It's small and fun to have. I am going to check into all these idea's. I will do a serch as suggested for a hauler. that would be the ticket. AND, I never even heard of torsion. I am looking it up to right away. I MUST have a safe trip for them. It may sound silly but they are like my babies.I know of the test and everything already so I'm good there. And They have been approved for the homes I'm looking into so far as far as deed ristrictions.Good there too.
I will be gone for the weekend but when I get back I will look into all advice.Any and all others is still welcomed.Thank you. Very nice place this forum.
I found this site with a list of haulers:
[url=http://findahauler.com/directory/browse-pets_and_livestock_transport-8-1.html[URL]

Oh, and many of us don't think it's silly at all that you think of your critters as your "babies".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top