U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 10:20 PM

5,114 posts, read 10,020,358 times

Advertisements

"If people would be responsible, this wouldn't have to happen."

BINGO. Idiots refuse to spay and neuter their animals and then dump off the offspring at shelters expecting these people to clean up their mess. It doesn't work that way. The shelters only have so much room. What are they supposed to do once they are full and there is no space left?

forum rules, please read them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2010, 08:02 PM

947 posts, read 2,907,829 times

someone I know, that is a groomer... will Not spay her Pit...

she says... I want her to have at least one litter...

I cry because I have work as a volunteer in a humane society
I worked with pits that were -
abused, negelated, fighting pits...

some I couldn't work with... as a volunteer...
some were awaiting their "owners" having to go thru court/legal process.

I at least got to take them out of their concrete, fenced kennel... aka cage... which might have well been Much better than they had before getting to shelter...
took them out and walked them and a few run, large area where they were able to run and chase a ball.. if they wanted... or just hang out with me...

anyway, there are too many pets... cat dogs...
"bullly breeds" suffer lots but they all do...

too many are dying... not enough people that want to be loving parents to 4 legged creatures.

HSUS does much Good!

Old 08-19-2010, 08:39 PM

Center for Consumer Freedom

disturbing to me.

HSUS does a lot of good for animals.

they are harsh... why?!?! i don't know why they are wasting their energy

Old 08-19-2010, 11:09 PM

11,798 posts, read 21,313,803 times
It isn't just stores and irresponsible breeders. I think most of it is numbskulls who won't have their cats neutered or spayed. There is a guy down the street who thinks his tomcats would be unfulfilled if they didn't get to go out and make as many litters as possible.

Old 08-19-2010, 11:18 PM

8,680 posts, read 12,816,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
It isn't just stores and irresponsible breeders. I think most of it is numbskulls who won't have their cats neutered or spayed. There is a guy down the street who thinks his tomcats would be unfulfilled if they didn't get to go out and make as many litters as possible.
I feel bad for his wife.

Seriously, though, that kind of thinking is just so ignorant. Never has anyone in my family had a cat or dog who wasn't fixed. It was just a gimme.

Unreal.

Old 08-20-2010, 02:02 AM

yeah and ... really do "we" think that a dog and/or cat Wants to be pregnant and get malnourished. lose energy, and have to deal with being in labor...nursing babies... etc...

I think not.

kinda painful and taxing on the body, even if it is instinctual, (too bad most pets are not eating a diet that is more instinctual) doesn't mean they want to, is it for the pets sake? no it is for the humans sake.

Old 08-20-2010, 12:05 PM

6,108 posts, read 6,188,055 times
Quote by Wayne Pacelle...

We have no ethical obligation to preserve the different breeds of livestock produced through selective breeding ...One generation and out. We have no problems with the extinction of domestic animals. They are creations of human selective breeding.
- Animal People News (May 1, 1993)

If people enjoy their pets and would like to continue to have the right to have pets, they might want to think twice before supporting such animal rights groups as HSUS and PETA.

Old 08-20-2010, 02:32 PM

2,890 posts, read 5,141,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogwalker425 View Post
If people enjoy their pets and would like to continue to have the right to have pets, they might want to think twice before supporting such animal rights groups as HSUS and PETA.
HSUS is a political, educational, and coordinating organization. I agree that the money they raise could be put to better use. But their goal is to be more humane to the animals that exist on earth here and now. To prevent abuse and unnecessary pain and trauma to farm animals. They aren't trying to take our pets or our meat away from us.

PETA is a misguided terrorist group. They think all animals should run "free." PETA doesn't understand humans role in stewardship. The reality is that we screwed up this planet for the animals and they now rely on us.

Old 08-20-2010, 03:54 PM

9,282 posts, read 16,088,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogwalker425 View Post
Quote by Wayne Pacelle...

We have no ethical obligation to preserve the different breeds of livestock produced through selective breeding ...One generation and out. We have no problems with the extinction of domestic animals. They are creations of human selective breeding.
- Animal People News (May 1, 1993)

this quote seems taken out of context.... is it from an interview?? where is the rest of the story or interview??

Old 08-20-2010, 07:17 PM

753 posts, read 2,161,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by need4Trees View Post

someone I know, that is a groomer... will Not spay her Pit...

she says... I want her to have at least one litter...

I know someone who had a lab they weren't going to neuter. He was outside one day, and didn't come back for a few days. When he finally came home - he had been neutered! LMAO!!! No one knows who did it, and that was about 10 years ago. And no it wasn't me, I was like 20 and could have cared less about her dog.

But if that isn't an option, ask her what people are going to take her dogs 8 puppies? I'm sure she knows 8 wonderful, responsible pet owners. So, the more important follow up question, is she going to feel bad if one of those puppies ends up as a bait dog after it runs out the front door past the kids or grandpa? And show her a picture of a ripped apart pit, like the 2 that are linked.

http://www.tibbles.co.za/wp-content/...s-bait-dog.jpg

People For The Ethical Treatment Of Pit Bulls
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or