U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 07:27 PM

2,382 posts, read 1,917,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
SPCA kills 25 million pets every year.
The current estimate is that in this country we now euthanize about 3 to 4 million adoptable dogs and cats. That number is down from about 25 million in the late 70's.

Which SPCA are you referring to? Each organization that uses the words Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals is an independent group - thus the Roanoke Valley SPCA is separate from the Houston SPCA which is separate from the New York SPCA (known as the A(merican) SPCA, et cetera, et cetera...

Same thing applies to groups that have the words Humane Society in their name. My group, the Floyd (VA) Co. Humane Society has no connection to the HSUS - Humane Society of the United States, nor to any other organization in the country that is known as a humane society.

So when you give your money to those well known groups you are NOT supporting your local rescue organization (which most likely is an all volunteer group that operates on a shoe string budget of donations.) Twenty to twenty five percent of what you give to HSUS or ASPCA will be spent on their fund raising efforts, not on helping animals.

What I really find unacceptable is how they insert themselves in to situations such as the Hillsville Puppy Mill rescue

Shelters Step Up for Rescued Pups | The Humane Society of the United States (http://www.hsus.org/pets/pets_related_news_and_events/puppy_mill_investigation_110807.html - broken link)

and the article on their website sounds like they did all the work and gives no credit to the many volunteers who came from around the state and from as far away as FL and NY to precess all those dogs. Yes, HSUS was there with a big trailer and gave a number of TV interviews but I can't say that I saw any of the suits do any real work and most of the vets were volunteers from the surrounding communities and they were the ones who took the dogs with the greatest need for extensive medical care. Dr. Kelly Farrell and her staff from Angels of Assisi in Roanoke took about 100 dogs who needed surgeries, mostly to remove infected eyes and rotten teeth or pregnant dogs and nursing moms. HSUS could have given them and other groups some funding to cover costs of care but they received not 1 penny of help from HSUS. HSUS however used that puppy mill raid to fund raise for themselves.

So I urge you to check out your local groups, whatever name they go by and give them your support - all little money and/or time from you can make a great difference in your community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2010, 09:25 PM

5,052 posts, read 2,910,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
this quote seems taken out of context.... is it from an interview?? where is the rest of the story or interview??
Honestly, I don't know. It's the most common quote I see.

Believe what you want, but in my opinion, HSUS is scarier than PETA. At least everyone knows PETA is a bunch of whackjobs.

I will not support either organization.

Old 08-25-2010, 09:05 AM

12,765 posts, read 11,375,653 times
I've been questioning them on my own, after watching they're many TV commercials. I know how much money it costs to make just one TV advertisement? And it just makes me wonder, where are they getting all this money....I mean, they are supposed to be a non-rofit organization that completely functions on nothing but donations? However, are they getting that much money in donations to make TV commercials....plus, there are thousands of rescue shelters out there who do a lot more dirty work then the Humain Society....believe me....

I dunno, I don't trust them....they could be as bad as the animal horders or dog farms....I just don't trust them....

Old 08-26-2010, 06:41 AM

2,305 posts, read 2,102,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogwalker425 View Post
Quote by Wayne Pacelle...

We have no ethical obligation to preserve the different breeds of livestock produced through selective breeding ...One generation and out. We have no problems with the extinction of domestic animals. They are creations of human selective breeding.
- Animal People News (May 1, 1993)

If people enjoy their pets and would like to continue to have the right to have pets, they might want to think twice before supporting such animal rights groups as HSUS and PETA.

This quote was made BEFORE Wayne Pacelle was a staff-member at the HSUS:

Quote:
Here’s what happened with this supposed iteration. Several years before I joined the staff of The HSUS, in 1992 or 1993, I appeared at an agricultural forum to address the issue of animal welfare in American agriculture. In the question and answer session, an attendee asked whether there should be an attempt to preserve all breeds of exotic livestock. I was specifically queried about so-called “heirloom breeds” (older breed variations that are often not used any longer for a commercial purpose and whose continued survival as a breed may be in jeopardy) and their value to agriculture.
At the time, I did not consider the fate of such breeds an ethically significant dilemma (my views have become more nuanced on that topic through the years). At the time, I replied by saying that I did not believe we had a moral obligation to the animals to preserve such breeds; in short, I said we did not need an endangered species act for rare livestock breeds.
A representative of an extreme and now defunct organization called Putting People First, present at this forum, took this passing comment about rare breeds of livestock and morphed it into a comment about all domesticated animals—devoid of its essential and undeniably clear context.
Desperate Distortion - Wayne Pacelle: A Humane Nation

Old 09-02-2010, 11:51 AM

25 posts, read 21,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissNM View Post
SPCA doesn't kill 25 million pets each year. It is forced to kill 25 million homeless, neglected, and abused animals that worthless people could have prevented, if only they would by spay or neuter. If people would stop buying pets from stores and irresponsible breeders, this pattern could be broken. If people would stop thinking that a labradoodle is a breed, then backyard breeders would stop breeding mutts.

If people would be responsible, this wouldn't have to happen.
I applaud you. Well said.

Old 09-02-2010, 06:57 PM

5,100 posts, read 8,151,298 times
Keep in mind HSUS local shelters are local. They are not affiliated with the national HSUS. Anyone can start a shelter and call it HSUS. I've got two by me that are a nightmare. They make HSUS look bad.

Also, like any group that starts small and gets large you'll have people involved that may not represent the group in the way it was originally intended. I think there are great people in HSUS just like in ASPCA, but there are also those with their own agenda. Overall they are both doing the best they can to help solve a problem that humans continue to create. Unfortunately when trying to correct animal problems you've still got to deal with humans, and that's the true problem.

Old 09-03-2010, 10:00 PM

2,382 posts, read 1,917,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post

Keep in mind HSUS local shelters are local. Yes, they are local but they are NOT HSUS, they are just the Humane Society of East Podunk HSEP.

They are not affiliated with the national HSUS.

Anyone can start a shelter and call it HSUS. NO, THEY CAN NOT. HSUS IS ONLY THE NATIONAL GROUP HEADQUARTERED IN WASHINGTON, DC.

If you or I were to start a group called the Humane Society of the Upper South and tried to use the HSUS title the lawyers would be all over us.
If you're referring to an independent, local group in your area as HSUS I don't think you're doing them any favors.

Old 09-05-2010, 11:54 AM

5,100 posts, read 8,151,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
If you're referring to an independent, local group in your area as HSUS I don't think you're doing them any favors.
I didn't give them they name, they gave it to themselves. Tons of them around here call themselves Humane Society of *** County. Not my decision. But based on the way they run things, I don't think being tied to any agency that anyone thinks is 'bad' could hurt them more than that crap they pull themselves. There's a lot of unethical and possibly illegal activity going on in both of them near me.

Old 09-13-2010, 07:29 PM

14,322 posts, read 12,926,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
I didn't give them they name, they gave it to themselves. Tons of them around here call themselves Humane Society of *** County. Not my decision. But based on the way they run things, I don't think being tied to any agency that anyone thinks is 'bad' could hurt them more than that crap they pull themselves. There's a lot of unethical and possibly illegal activity going on in both of them near me.
The local "humane societies" generally have no connection to the HSUS. The HSUS came much later than the first local "humane societies" and is an animal rights, political activist group, named the "humane society" to confuse people and make them sound more credible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets