U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 08:39 AM

29,988 posts, read 37,029,827 times

Advertisements

As far as grocery stores, the only dog's I've ever seen are assistance or therapy dogs in training. Only once or twice have I ever seen a blind person with their actual assistance dog in a store. In my state there are signs at the front door prohibiting animals other than assistance dogs; therefore, probably laws against it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2010, 12:18 PM

2,519 posts, read 5,332,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deckdoc View Post
As a person allergic to pet dander~including dogs~ I feel that idiots bringing thier pets into stores against the ruiles are not only rude, but they are putting my health at risk. Please leave your pets out of stores. As much as I dislike rude children they do not pose as much a threat yo me as your innocent loveable pets. I don't hate them ~ I'm just not ready for another round of hives!!
That's a bit harsh to call a person an idiot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
I've actually seen the exact opposite. I know someone who insists upon bringing his small dog into places where it's explicitly not welcome. Why? Because he's "well-behaved". Never mind that there are many people who really don't want his dog around in these places. And, he's not the only one, by a long shot.

To me, there are appropriate places to bring dogs, and there are places where it's inappropriate. When I see someone with a dog in a store that is not explicitly a pet store or somewhere else where pets are welcome, I roll my eyes at the selfishness of it.

There's no reason to bring your dog into these places, and they should not be there.
I guess it's just the area I live that is so pet friendly. We have this outdoor shopping park where it's very common to see dogs either being held or on leash. Even some of the restaurants have an outdoor patio to accommodate pets and owners. There are also a few pet boutiques that are a big hit here. The concerts in the park also allow dogs, as does a certain section of the beach. Dogs are well behaved and people clean up after them.

Sure, there's no reason so bring a dog into a place that's inappropriate, just likes there's no reason to bring a small child into a movie for adults or a fine dining restaurant and letting them run around.

Old 08-18-2010, 05:18 PM

1,587 posts, read 6,664,480 times
I have signed letter from my police chief stating train bloodhounds for SAR work so can get into some businesses but would not think of taking into a supermarket unless a true trail took me there. I have seen assistance dogs being trained in Wal-mart super stores but never just a normal purse pooch and such.

Old 08-19-2010, 01:16 AM

19,196 posts, read 17,342,393 times
I think its largely to get attention. LOL, I was shopping in a big box pet store when my foot slipped in a pool of liquid. Yep, a dog had relieved itself on the floor. Luckily dog beds were on the shelf right there so I wiped the sole of my shoe on one. I'll bet the dog that got that bed gave it a good sniffing and maybe wouldn't use it.

Old 08-19-2010, 11:04 AM

2,519 posts, read 5,332,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
I think its largely to get attention. LOL, I was shopping in a big box pet store when my foot slipped in a pool of liquid. Yep, a dog had relieved itself on the floor. Luckily dog beds were on the shelf right there so I wiped the sole of my shoe on one. I'll bet the dog that got that bed gave it a good sniffing and maybe wouldn't use it.
That's pretty inconsiderate to the potential buyer of the dog bed. How would you like to purchase clothing or bedding that someone wiped body fluid on? Maybe next time, alerting an employee and asking for assistance might be a better choice.

FWIW, I've never taken one of my dogs w/ me for attention. Sometimes I can't resist taking one when they start wagging their tail to the sound of my car keys.

Old 08-20-2010, 04:57 AM

29,041 posts, read 44,837,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deckdoc View Post
As a person allergic to pet dander~including dogs~ I feel that idiots bringing thier pets into stores against the ruiles are not only rude, but they are putting my health at risk. Please leave your pets out of stores. As much as I dislike rude children they do not pose as much a threat yo me as your innocent loveable pets. I don't hate them ~ I'm just not ready for another round of hives!!
I'm allergic to perfume, and most detergents & hand soaps, so I'd appreciate if you all could wipe off any fragrances before entering a store. I do understand having allergies, without a doubt, but I think you can't complain if the business owner allows dogs - as there are many who don't, and ultimately it's up to the manager (unless we're talking about a public/govt building).

I don't think bringing pets into a grocery store or restaurant is cool, since that really does become a health issue for everyone... but around here (San Francisco), many non-food retailers are happy to allow leashed/well-behaved dogs into their shops. I've taken Rudy into Best Buy, Barnes & Noble, lots of independent stores, and my roommate even took him to a bar once. As long as your dog is well-behaved, potty trained and under your control, I think it should be fine if the business owner allows. Living in a big city it's sometimes my only option, when you can't safely tie a dog outside - and I don't always use my car to get around.

Old 08-20-2010, 05:07 AM

29,041 posts, read 44,837,065 times
Btw, I had a related argument with a clerk recently, over the double-standard they have with dogs. It's a small grocery store across the street, and I personally never bring Rudy in (since as I said, pets shouldn't be in food-related businesses). But I always see people bringing in little "pocket dogs," even when they're not actually in a pocket/purse, and the clerks never say a word.

Then this guy brought in a BIG lovable dog, and was told they didn't allow dogs... he replied "then why do I always see little ones in here?" and I jumped in to take his side. I'm sorry, but just because a dog is small enough to carry, that doesn't make it any less a dog! Rules are rules, and I don't agree with having different standards for different sized animals. Or different species, for that matter, as I should be able to bring my snakes into a "pet friendly" establishment - even if you think pets only have fur & feathers.

Old 08-20-2010, 05:42 AM

3,758 posts, read 10,573,231 times
While I have no problem with dogs (or cats) at sidewalk cafes, or in small businesses with pet friendly policies (actually new an independent book store that allowed pets, and an independent luggage store).. Big Box stores that *techincally* don't allow pets are really asking for it by allowing all manner of animals into the building.

Hubby is in Retail Home Improvement (large store, large national chain) and all the time people are in the store with animals -- small ones and sometimes larger ones (40-60 lbs) - riding in the basket or on a leash.

He's asked for clarification over the matter, but their national policy is "no animals except service animals" but no one enforces it at the local level.

Some day, a very friendly dog is going to push a child down (to lick its face of course) and the child is going to hit its head on a pipe-rack and the store is going to be LIABLE.

By the way - we are super friendly dog people (have 4) and we love to see dogs when we're out..

but a place with fork-lifts and high racks of dangerous stacked goods, not a place for an animal.

Old 08-20-2010, 08:46 AM

718 posts, read 1,795,921 times
Not a dog problem, a people problem. Face it people, no one likes your dog as much as you like your dog. They do not belong in stores. I have had the same "slippery urine" problem and believe me it was not great. I have never slipped in "baby urine"....keep the dogs out of the stores, I don't care if the dog fits in your pocket, your shopping cart, or on top of your head.

Old 08-20-2010, 09:11 AM

830 posts, read 2,353,421 times
I've got mixed feelings about it. On one hand, I think sometimes it's truly just silly and/or attention-seeking. On the other hand, having had a dog with severe separation anxiety (her, not me) and having had to take her a lot of places with me, I appreciated the pet-friendly businesses where I could run in quickly with her in my arms. The car was not an option when it was warm out. She's now capable of being left at home without a meltdown (it used to get to the level of diarrhea sprayed on the walls, etc) so it's not an issue anymore, and the only store she goes into now is Petsmart, and only when I'm specifically there to get her groomed.

Interestingly, one time the grocery store lady in town specifically encouraged me (I hadn't asked first), you can bring her in as long as you hold her.

I don't think service dogs carry fewer microbes than garden variety dogs. And I'm far less fearful of any microbes a dog is carrying than the ones any of the hundreds of people in a store are carrying. A much higher portion of those human germs are capable of infecting me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or