U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2007, 01:47 PM

4 posts, read 15,514 times

Advertisements

I'm sorry for your loss. I love all my pets (birds, turttle, dogs, cats and many others through the years) but I would have to say that my greyhound (kat) and my African Grey (Gabby) are my favorites.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2007, 01:10 PM

1,229 posts, read 2,944,842 times
is of course my shish tzu puppy! Sweet personality and loving and literally throws himself at you, over and over again!

Old 07-11-2007, 01:23 PM

2,932 posts, read 11,268,246 times
Best pet ever? My Whippet, of course. :-) Our greyhounds were great, too - my special guys.

Old 02-06-2008, 04:17 PM

34 posts, read 168,462 times
Daschunds all the way. Our mini is like a kid. She is always with us and involved in everything!

Old 02-07-2008, 09:47 AM

215 posts, read 149,477 times
Tarantulas....awesome pets, beautiful creatures. Especislly when they molt. Yeah I know y'all think I am weird. Im a big time hobbiest. To me Cats make the perfect pet too.

Old 02-13-2008, 03:08 PM

20,019 posts, read 64,031,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskarain View Post
Tarantulas....awesome pets, beautiful creatures. Especislly when they molt. Yeah I know y'all think I am weird. Im a big time hobbiest. To me Cats make the perfect pet too.
Awesome!!! I agree 100%!!! Many people shun those wonderful creatures just because theyre spiders. Lets look at some things that make me agree with you. 1) most tarantulas are more docile than any dog or cat and many take to handling w/o issue 2) you can get them dirt cheap as babies (spiderlings) and raise them for 20+ years in some cases. 3) Theyre far more colorful than most pets out there 4) Theyre incredibly cheap to feed, and can be left alone while youre on vacation w/o any problems 5) They make for very interesting conversations! 6) Theyve never killed anyone and their bites are far less painful/dangerous than any dog/cat bite.

I keep tarantulas, scorpions, even giant centipedes and tailless whipscorpions. Tarantulas are WONDERFUL pets. Its a shame they get such a undeserved bad reputation. Here are some of my pets.

Here is a Grammostola aureostriata, at a 1.5" leg span. THe most docile spider I ever owned. This one would sit on my hand for hours and not move a single "muscle". It will have a 8" leg span when full grown and will live around 20 years if all goes well.

Hows this for a colorful pet? This is a Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens, commonly known as a "greenbottle blue". This one is a bit nervous, so I wont handle it. Its never even tried to bite me, rather run and hide first. It has kicked hairs on a few occasions though.

This one I will NEVER handle. LOL This is a Scolopendra subspinipes de haani centipede from Vietnam. I love the chocolate body and orange legs. This one is very aggressive, as most pedes are/can be. Just a display animal. The dollar bill is for size reference.

Here is a juvenile Aphonopelma hentzi tarantula I found in Missouri. This little fella now resides in my closet with the rest of my critters. Docile as docile can be. I pulled this one out from under a rock, put it on my hand, had my brother take a picture. Didnt move once. Such "terrible beasties", eh? Sad thing is, if this little guy got into someones home, it would be squashed w/o question because of fear/stupidity/lack of knowledge.

Here is another sweetheart of mine, a Avicularia versicolor (from French Guyana) tarantula. Sweet as sweet can be. Has no problem sitting on me for hours.

My Arizona desert hairy scorpion (Hadrurus arizonensis). A bit nervous, but not bad at all. Ive handled it several times w/o nary a tail flick. DONT TRY THIS AT HOME, KIDS!!!!!!!!!

Here is my big girl, the lovable emperor scorpion (Pandinus imperator). She wouldnt hurt a fly, unless she was hungry of course. lol

Here is my alien bug, a tailless whipscorpion (harmless). This is a Damon variegatus.

This is a potent species, from South America (Tityus falconensis). Needless to say, I dont handle this one.
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j292/Illinoisboy/T-1.jpg (broken link)

Here is a baby Asian forest scorpion,(Heterometrus spinifer), calm as can be:

One of my late African mantids (Pseudocreobotra wahlbergii). Do they come any cuter??? lol

The "golden boy". Not a tarantula, surprisingly.

Another one of my 'pedes that died of old age. Had her 6 years.

And the most docile pet of all? Our California kingsnake (Lampropeltis getula californiae). The most loving snake we've ever seen.

Here he is again, resting his little head on my hand for a photoshoot. lol Lets hear it everyone: "Awwwwwww".

Me and my nervous desert kingsnake. He is very twitchy and doesnt like to be handled too often. Bummer.

Old 02-23-2008, 12:57 PM

253 posts, read 896,461 times
WOW SteveO what a collection you've got. I guess there's a pet for everyone. The important thing is you love them.

Old 02-23-2008, 03:25 PM

1,021 posts, read 2,444,864 times
I have always loved rats as pets. I first got into them as a pet store employee who had snakes to feed. I eventually got to where I had more fun playing with the rats than feeding them to the snakes. At one point I had seven very friendly, social and playful rats in a three story cat cage condo, complete with hanging toys, hammocks and snugglies. I think they make much better pets than hamsters, gerbils and the like. Much more personality, and they enjoy being handled.

Old 02-25-2008, 08:25 PM

157 posts, read 448,501 times
All my dogs..but..a beagle/border mix was my special girl. She developed diabetes, then went blind from cataracts. She got along great blind but was a good candidate for surgery. We took her to RI for surgery and she would just sit calmly and let the vet do anything. The afternoon of her surgery, still groggy from anesthesia, she spotted a McDonalds bag down the hall. Off she took still wobbly wearing her e collar. I have never seen a dog so happy as her when she woke up. She was happy every day for the 3 years she lived after that. She always stood still for her daily insulin shot ,never whimpering, knowing her food was coming.

Last edited by casey; 02-25-2008 at 08:32 PM.. Reason: lousy typist

Old 02-26-2008, 02:55 PM

20,019 posts, read 64,031,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanwalt3 View Post
WOW SteveO what a collection you've got. I guess there's a pet for everyone. The important thing is you love them.
Indeed. I take as much care of them as much as I do my dog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets