U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 11:05 AM

2,321 posts, read 4,596,854 times

Advertisements

Any herpetologists out there? These are not the greatest pics, but my neighbor killed the snake on her front porch, afraid it was poisonous. She said it crawled "sideways" when trying to escape, and the back of its neck turned red when it was cornered. It was about 7" long. We live in coastal SC and there are a number of snakes common to the area, but I didn't recognize this one as one of the usual suspects. Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks.

http://i867.photobucket.com/albums/ab233/PawleysDude/snake01.jpg (broken link)

http://i867.photobucket.com/albums/ab233/PawleysDude/snake02.jpg (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2010, 12:19 PM

1,280 posts, read 6,126,605 times
His little face makes me think he may be a hognose of some kind...? They seem to come in a variety of patterns.

Old 08-24-2010, 12:39 PM

51,643 posts, read 41,606,703 times
Look at this picture....I think we have a match at least in pattern if not coloration but that's variable. (Especially note the pattern on the heads)

File:Autumn milksnake.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

They don't tend to get as long as 7 feet so I will write that up as perhaps a slight distortion. Whatever it is, it's not venemous and as such was likely preying upon mice and potentially hazardous snakes on the property.

Old 08-24-2010, 12:41 PM

Quote:
His little face makes me think he may be a hognose of some kind...
Thanks, I think you're right! The eastern hognose is common around here, but usually in the black phase. We've had a large one in and out of our yard all summer. The coloration is totally different and I would have never made the connection, but the "nose" is definitely there, and supposedly, the pattern on the back of the head is another good marker for this phase of the hognose. I appreciate your help.

Thanks, mathguy, but after doing some searchin' on hognoses, it was almost a dead ringer for this picture of a juvenile southern hognose BTW, it was 7 inches, not 7 feet. We'd been burying out neighbor today if it had been 7 feet! They ain't her favorite things. Thanks for your help.

Last edited by PawleysDude; 08-24-2010 at 12:51 PM..

Old 08-24-2010, 05:22 PM

2,520 posts, read 5,343,262 times
Yes, it was a juvenile hognose. It's not venomous and not dangerous and really didn't need to be killed. The saliva is toxic to their prey only.

Google Image Result for http://www.uga.edu/srelherp/snakes/pics/hetpla7.jpg

Old 08-24-2010, 07:27 PM

29,041 posts, read 44,910,327 times
That's sad... especially since my Hognose is one of my favorite snakes.

Old 08-24-2010, 10:51 PM

1,688 posts, read 6,882,509 times
A trick for identifying venomous vs. harmless - well two tricks actually:

a) shape of head... all venomous snakes have a triangular shaped head. Harmless snake are more round or oval. Once you know that it's really obvious... which is good if you have to decide really fast.

b) pupils - vertical pupils (like cats' eyes) are venomous, round pupils (like human ones) are harmless. While you might think it's hard to see the pupils, it isn't. You can even tell from the photos posted here.

I used to be scared to death of the critters since we live in an area with a number of venomous species and we moved her from somewhere that's literally snake-free. But since learning these two tricks, I'm a lot more confident and harmless ones get left alone. I do have to admit though that I still tend to yelp rather loudly when I meet one.

Old 08-24-2010, 11:21 PM

29,041 posts, read 44,910,327 times
Just keep in mind, many non-venomous snakes will imitate venomous snakes... i.e. some corn snakes rattle their tails and "hood" their necks into a triangle shape, like my Miami phase girl who's a real crank. So don't let those impersonations fool you, since occasionally they come from a harmless snake! Also remember they're more afraid of you than you are of them, and snakes will hardly ever chase a large predator - too much energy expended, and they wouldn't even get a meal out of it.

Old 08-25-2010, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
That's sad... especially since my Hognose is one of my favorite snakes.
It is sad, and I had second thoughts about posting this thread, fearing the flames that might follow. In her defense, our neighbor has two young children who play on the porch, and the snake's coloration was not one we see around here very often. Still, a little education can go a long way.

We've had a black-phase hognose (below) adopt us this summer, spending quite a bit of time in our back yard. It hasn't "played dead" yet for us, but it's a hoot to watch it flare out its neck. Still, prefer to know it's there, rather than wandering up on it.

Old 12-10-2010, 07:06 PM

651 posts, read 1,784,786 times
Get some King Snake activity going around your property and you won't have to fear the venomous snakes b/c the King Snakes will eat the Venomous snakes. See Watch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRpGC4MXFKE

No more Rattlesnake!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets