U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2014, 12:23 PM

2 posts, read 2,808 times

Advertisements

This is somewhat of a confession. I ran over a black cat in urban Memphis today. It darted out in front of my car and stopped directly under the front left tire in a busy traffic area. Going the speed limit, I did not have time to stop. It made audible "crunching" sound so I'm pretty sure it did not make it. Given my surroundings, there was more than a 75% chance the cat was feral. Getting out the car and wandering around traffic to check on a potentially feral animal seemed like an obviously bad idea. It was a split second decision. I did look in the rear view mirror so see if he was moving but I just kept going. I would certainly never throw it in reverse like the OP suggested. Didn't mean to hurt the little fella. I'm sorry and hope you go to kitty heaven.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2014, 12:25 PM

2 posts, read 2,808 times
Unhappy Confession - I ran over a cat.

This is somewhat of a confession. I ran over a black cat in urban Memphis today. It darted out in front of my car and stopped directly under the front left tire in a busy traffic area. Going the speed limit, I did not have time to stop. It made audible "crunching" sound so I'm pretty sure it did not make it. Given my surroundings, there was more than a 75% chance the cat was feral. Getting out the car and wandering around traffic to check on a potentially feral animal seemed like an obviously bad idea. It was a split second decision. I did look in the rear view mirror so see if he was moving but I just kept going. I would certainly never throw it in reverse like the OP suggested. Didn't mean to hurt the little fella. I'm sorry and hope you go to kitty heaven.

Old 04-18-2015, 12:26 AM

3 posts, read 3,522 times
I hit somthing tonight I didnt see it at all until right before my car hit it I seen its white face and there wasnt time to stop, I turned around but nothing was there I hope it was a opossum and not someones cat that couldve got injured becuase I was driving so fast on a dark street!!

Old 04-18-2015, 12:28 AM

I failed to mention I seen a black cat just minutes from this happening. Im freaked!

Old 04-18-2015, 12:29 AM

God bless

Old 05-06-2015, 09:08 PM

102 posts, read 171,991 times
About a year ago I hit a cat by accident. It was kind of dark and I was going 40mph. I got out to see if it was ok and it was bleeding from the head. It spun around a couple times but immediately died. I felt really bad but there was nothing to do...I would have probably taken it to the vet if I could but it was too late.

Old 05-31-2015, 04:48 AM

5 posts, read 3,220 times
don't touch the dog you may hurt it worse call 911 and another reason not to touch it is because the dog is in pain and it may snap or bite my dog was hit by a car no one could touch him till I got home and he is alive and well not perfect in the legs but he is perfect for me

Old 05-31-2015, 08:09 AM

13,258 posts, read 36,417,671 times
Once I hit a possum by mistake - I saw it, it saw me, it was very late, it stopped to stare at my headlights (as possums often do). I slowed down and turned off my headlights so it could scurry away. I saw it move away from the car so I turned the lights back on and accelerated to get back to the speed limit, and it abruptly turned around and BANG right into my rear tire (I had passed the point where it was when I saw it). I looked behind me and saw it scurrying off into the woods again, though at a lumbering pace. I felt HORRIBLE about it. I mean I absolutely loathe opossums, they look to me like oversized bloated city rats and they give me the creeps just knowing that they might actually be lurking somewhere.

But I still don't like the idea of injuring them.

Ants - I choose to ignore the fact that they probably suffer tremendously when I spray citrus oil on the crack at the junction where my outer wall meets the floor. I also choose to ignore the fact that earwigs probably suffer horribly when I drown them down the drain in the sink.

But even flies - if I kill a fly, I swat it again to make sure it's dead and not just dying a slow agonizing death.

I'm okay with dead animals. I just don't like the idea of suffering animals.

If I were in the situation the OP described, without resources to get help within a few minutes, I'd probably run over it again to end its suffering. If I were the type of person to carry a rifle or gun, I'd drive a safe distance away and shoot it instead. And then I'd probably break down sobbing for a few hours.

Old 06-01-2015, 10:47 AM

4,760 posts, read 3,192,317 times
One night, my husband & I were coming home from an auction. There was a bunny crossing the street. He was half way across and we thought that he was just going to keep going. Instead, he turned and hopped right into us. There really was nothing we could do. We didn't stop because it wouldn't have been safe to do so because was dark and another car or truck (it was a truck route) wouldn't have seen us before it was too late.

Cat

Old 11-02-2015, 11:02 PM

1 posts, read 784 times
If you find a sick or injured wild animal is it legal to dispatch if nessasary with gun
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets