U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2016, 12:00 PM

26,160 posts, read 15,360,013 times

Advertisements

Welcome to the site....

Yes police will often dispatch a wounded animal and even though you might think its MEAN,it might be the best
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2016, 09:33 AM

3,508 posts, read 3,202,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
You Run Over An Animal While Driving--What to do? (legal, euthanize, wood)

What what you do? Run over it one more time to put it out of its misery?
Call the police? Or what?
Things may be different for those of you who live in the boondocks like Honey Boo Boo's family where you take home and eat whatever you "don run over", but here in the city where I live things are bit different.

If I were to run over a dog (be it wounded before or not), I'd treat it like I ran over a person. I'd IMMEDIATELY get out and render aid. If needed, I'd put it in my car and head to the nearest vets office I find on Yelp. I'd tell the vet I'd assume all charges on the bill, ask them to scan for micro-chip (any and every SMART pet owner WILL microchip their dog), and I'd contact the family to inform them of what happened. If no chip, I'd put fliers up in the neighborhood with hopes that owner/family will respond.

If its anything other than a dog, I'd just keep driving.

Old 06-01-2016, 06:08 AM

4 posts, read 2,073 times
I love animals so dont take this the wrong way, if you swerve to miss an animal and hit something else or roll your car, you are not covered by insurance.

I knew of a lady who swerved to miss a dog and hit a tree and was killed. also someone else who swerved to miss a kangaroo and rolled her car and her insurance company did not want to know about it.

Old 10-09-2016, 02:36 PM

2 posts, read 3,733 times
Default Ran over a cat

I was out driving for Lyft last night and a cat ran out into the street. Passed me and saw a car coming in the opposite direction and the cat turned around and ran toward my car. I ran the cat over. I tried to stop but it just happened too fast. The cat was bouncing around like a fish out of water but was bouncing a foot off the ground. It was 230 in the AM. I love animals, and I know some people are not going to like this but I ran it over 5 more times til it was dead. It was awful. I feel terrible, some kid is going to wake up and wonder where their cat is........running it over and finishing it off seemed like the humane thing to do. I had a gun with me but did not want to discharge a weapon and I did not think the police would respond or not respond fast enough for a animal that was run over and like I said it looked like it was in a lot of pain. At the time is seemed like the right thing to do but I still feel awful. I live about an hour away from where it happened and I dont know exactly where I was to even put up signs but think its better to think someone found the cat and took it home with them vs. knowing it was run over.............such a awful thing to watch.......has me really feeling down about the whole thing...........and hoping I made the right decision at the time and with what I saw.......

Old 10-10-2016, 09:59 AM

8,593 posts, read 2,471,411 times
Pets getting hit on the road should be a rare event. Sadly it happens far too often. Cats. Too many cat owners feel that it is acceptable to let their pets roam at will. If you really care about your pet you keep it under control. I have heard people complain that someone hit their cat and the driver didn't even stop. If you don't care enough about your pet to keep it safe, why do you expect a stranger to give a damn? The same goes for dog owners. I live in the country and I swear at least once a week I see a dead cat on the road and at least a couple dogs a year. I assume some are ferrel cats, but when it's in front of a house you have to assume they are someone's pet.
Wild animals like deer. Well usually you have to stop because of the damage. I have hit 3 deer in in 15 years. I stop and if the animal is alive I put it down. Hit by a truck the animal is messed up pretty bad.
Raccoons or opossums etc.? I just keep going.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets