U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 01:08 AM

1,078 posts, read 3,494,174 times

Advertisements

Jason, most actual breeders of AKC recognized breeds, will do exactly what is needed for their animals regardless of cost and do not need an government bureaucracy telling them how to conduct business and care for their animals. Those who are puppy millers and those who have roaming unaltered cats will continue to do so, because those very people do not license their animals as it is. Those who will pay will be those who are already responsible! I cannot stand people who do not alter their pets, if they are not intending to breed. I have a neighbor who in fact has been reported more than once because she does not even license her animals or get their vaccinations...you think anything has been done?? Of course not! When they came to her hose about her can, she said she did not have one, yet she has two one that just had a litter and an unaltered male. Only those responsible will follow the law and pay...
MBG
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2007, 02:49 AM

14,505 posts, read 23,741,688 times
Smile yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by citybythebay View Post
Exactly. It should be done to prevent the thousands of homeless animals out there. But when the govt steps in and puts a fist down to say it's mandatory....that's where I have the problem.
I agree with that. They have bigger problems they need to fix!

Old 06-29-2007, 05:57 AM

504 posts, read 1,640,696 times
I am a huge advocate of spay and neuter and anyone with any degree of sense agrees with me. But I am also a huge advocate of individual rights.

The solution is simple all the imbeciles that choose not to spay or neuter because of some misguided hang onto your testicles theory get to pay for the privilege of letting thier darling pets over populate while all the dedicated animal lovers that work at shelters get to euthanize all these wonderful animals that you create out of your selfishness.
Huge fees for those that choose to non sterilize.

Old 06-29-2007, 06:29 AM

528 posts, read 2,227,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexander59 View Post
Huge fees for those that choose to non sterilize.
and how are those huge fees going to be enforced, and how do you propose that the enforcer's salaries be paid? Are you will to pay more in taxes for this monumental enforcement effort? Who does this benefit?

Show breeders will be forced to pay those "huge fees" if they want to breed. If they continue to breed (and that is a HUGE "if", as many will probably quit in disgust), how do you think they will recoup those fees? By upping the prices they will have to charge for a puppy. So, if your family wants a nice, well bred Golden Retriever from a local breeder for your family pet, you'll need to be willing to pay ridiculous prices to have one. Who does this benefit?

Or, you will have to drive out of state and buy from someone who is not bound by ridiculous mandatory spay/neuter laws like California's proposed legislation. Or, you can "order" a pet off the Internet, and have some puppy mill in Kansas ship it to you. Again - who does this benefit?

California's AB1634 is a very flawed piece of legislation, period.

Old 06-29-2007, 06:48 AM

The breeders could post a bond and yes paying huge amounts of money for a puppy okay with me, my dogs are priceless and they are mixed. I would even mortgage my house to be able to pay vet bills for these precious animals, as far as getting a pedigree, lots of those in shelters also, better yet lets spay/neuter irresponsible pet owners.
I am sure people will go out of state for a pedigree and when they go an licence thier pet they will then have to show sterilization certificate. Just goes to show what irresponsible people will do to evade the law, hide the pet and not keep up with shots and vet visits.

Old 06-29-2007, 08:10 AM

Quote:
The breeders could post a bond
they could post a bond for what, I don't understand what you are referring to?

Quote:
and yes paying huge amounts of money for a puppy okay with me
that's wonderful that you can afford that; however most American families cannot. So you would deprive them of a chance to have a pet at a reasonable price?

Quote:
as far as getting a pedigree, lots of those in shelters also
but there supposedly won't be lots of dogs in the shelters after these laws are enacted, so where would people find them?

Quote:
better yet lets spay/neuter irresponsible pet owners.

Quote:
Just goes to show what irresponsible people will do to evade the law, hide the pet and not keep up with shots and vet visits.

Old 06-29-2007, 11:50 AM

Bonding breeders would give people a chance to check out the breeders better, they would be licenced and inspected on a regular schedule and they would be held to a higher standard knowing they could lose the bond.
Nobody should be able to have a pet that can't afford to feed, shelter and take the pet for regular checkups and shots.
Pedigree dogs are luxuries for most people, yet a mixed breed dog is more often the better deal.
No I do not have a lot of money I have mixed breeds and yes they cost a lot to keep up. But I like so many,know the worth of these dogs.
My friend breeds puppies and before any of these puppies go she asks them how many kids? How old are the kids? Do you own your house if not I need to see the lease showing pets okay. How many other pets do you have and what kind. What will you do with the dog if you travel She also pays for the spay or neuter if they are pet quality and not show quality and that is written in the contract that they must be spayed or neutered unless they are for show.
I am willing to pay more for animals than I am for a lot of government programs and I am not by myself on this.

Old 06-29-2007, 12:04 PM

13,100 posts, read 24,839,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citybythebay View Post
Exactly. It should be done to prevent the thousands of homeless animals out there. But when the govt steps in and puts a fist down to say it's mandatory....that's where I have the problem.

Could not have said it better. We have big brother in enough of our personal business and if you give them an inch they will take a mile.
Sheesh you would think they have more pressing issues to deal with, the war, the homeless, global warming et al.

That said , unless you are a resposible breeder you should have your house pets spayed/neutered

Old 06-29-2007, 01:11 PM

1,078 posts, read 3,494,174 times
Quote:
Bonding breeders would give people a chance to check out the breeders better, they would be licenced and inspected on a regular schedule and they would be held to a higher standard knowing they could lose the bond.
Nobody should be able to have a pet that can't afford to feed, shelter and take the pet for regular checkups and shots.
Pedigree dogs are luxuries for most people, yet a mixed breed dog is more often the better deal.
No I do not have a lot of money I have mixed breeds and yes they cost a lot to keep up. But I like so many,know the worth of these dogs.
My friend breeds puppies and before any of these puppies go she asks them how many kids? How old are the kids? Do you own your house if not I need to see the lease showing pets okay. How many other pets do you have and what kind. What will you do with the dog if you travel She also pays for the spay or neuter if they are pet quality and not show quality and that is written in the contract that they must be spayed or neutered unless they are for show.
I am willing to pay more for animals than I am for a lot of government programs and I am not by myself on this.
If you read through the bill, you will see the the ONLY PEOPLE PENALIZED are those who ALREADY obey the laws!! Those who are irresponsible will continue to go about their business! Like I said here in LA we already have a similar law along with mandatory chipping, and I have neighbors, whom I have reported, that have animals that are not licenced, are not vaccinated, are not chipped and are not spayed/neutered. The cats roam and get pregnant or impregnate. It is those of us who license our pets who will pay. There will me more corruption, less freedom and more bureaucracy!
Lastly, PETA who is a major sponsor of this bill, does not want any of us to own any pets, no pets at all!
That is the goal here!
Where will pets come from if responsible breeders can no longer breed? They will come from backyard mills, and there will be less licensing of animals.
The animals, as well as loving families will suffer.
MBG

Old 06-29-2007, 01:27 PM

Quote:

but the proposed legislation WILL BE a government program....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or