U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 12:52 PM

12,387 posts, read 31,337,219 times

Advertisements

Maybe all of you should get together & write the bill. 1 that hopefully eveyone else will agree on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2007, 01:22 PM

4,610 posts, read 10,187,947 times
I'm all for spaying and neutering your animals. All of mine have been. Mandatory? Who knows, I would have to look into it more. But we have so many homeless cats and dogs and animals in shelters from people not being responsible and taking care of their pets and letting them run around or they dump them somewhere. So sad. But to be honest, I would bet most responsible people already spay and neuter their pets. Sometimes we need laws for those that blow it for others or are not responsible.

Old 07-04-2007, 01:59 PM

4,210 posts, read 7,109,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roma View Post
I'm all for spaying and neutering your animals. All of mine have been. Mandatory? Who knows, I would have to look into it more. But we have so many homeless cats and dogs and animals in shelters from people not being responsible and taking care of their pets and letting them run around or they dump them somewhere. So sad. But to be honest, I would bet most responsible people already spay and neuter their pets. Sometimes we need laws for those that blow it for others or are not responsible.
What you say is the obvious truth: those of us who are responsible pet owners are already doing this. Those who aren't, won't.
Most legislators most of the time seem to have a faint grasp on reality but they do enjoy a firm grasp on power.
This reminds me of the misdrected gun laws. The laws essentiallly punish the responsible while the criminal element cares not a whit. The responsible are disarmed while the criminal element wreaks havoc.
All legislative bodies should spend over 50% of their session time weeding through bad laws and deep-sixing them. Instead they keep piling it on, and eventually every act known to mankind can be considered illegal.

Old 07-04-2007, 02:03 PM

7,541 posts, read 16,350,576 times
Legislaters all have their pet projects which are, in most cases the most rediculous law you can find. If PETA backs anything then im most likely going to not back it because of the underlying reasons PETA has for everything. I have a Staff that dosent get out of the yard so I see no need to neuter him as yet ( though I am considering it). If it became law to neuter them Id most likely do anything not to obey it just because .....

Old 07-04-2007, 02:22 PM
CBB

481 posts, read 2,038,402 times
I'm very critical about PETA as well. But I would definitely be glad if spaying/ neutering became mandatory (in Germany as well). Responsible pet owners shouldn't mind because they have their pets spayed/ neutered anyway. But a law would put more pressure on those who don't care about their pets.

We have a cat and love him dearly. I volunteer in our local pet shelter and although we have no kill shelters in Germany it is heartbreaking to see all these unwanted lovely cats and dogs.

Pets are so precious. They shouldn't suffer in shelters or be put down just because people don't like "just another law". But I also know that many Americans are kind of allergic against new laws, so this is probably just a very (Northern) European view on all this.

Hope I didn't step on anyone's toes.

Old 07-04-2007, 03:37 PM

7,541 posts, read 16,350,576 times
yeah. But the point being is that I dont let my dog roam so it cant get anyone pregnant. but a cat / dog that is allowed to roam (which roaming dogs is agaisnt the law, not sure bout cats) will get other animals pregnant. Which a law like this would punish the law abiding people.

Old 07-05-2007, 08:09 PM

12,387 posts, read 31,337,219 times
If you already s/n how would the law hurt you?

Old 07-05-2007, 08:30 PM

3,098 posts, read 8,336,121 times
Quote:
If you already s/n how would the law hurt you?
Slippery slope again. Get one foot in the door scenario. Don't want the government telling me I HAVE to do it. Liz

Old 07-06-2007, 07:37 AM

5,981 posts, read 16,283,020 times
I'm a little confused. Seat belts are a primary law in many states, and yet no one is going belly up about that - it's an obvious government effort to save our lives. And yet the government doesn't mandate helmet laws, which is even more ridiculous...so I can pay for the brain injury for the cyclist who is stupid? Yes, we pay taxes that pay the police to enforce this seatbelt law...so what's the difference in paying taxes to have animal control go around and ultimately destroy a large portion of the animal population that is roaming free? And that is what we are doing right now...paying for irresponsible breeding because there is no control. Whether you see your tax dollars trickling down THAT slippery slope or not, they are.

If PETA supports it, I can't - but we have a huge overpopulation problem in this country and until people see it as such it will stay that way. There's all this hollering and belly-aching about kill shelters, but the kill shelters don't even need to be in place if there's SOMETHING that will govern indiscriminate breeding.....and that goes for puppy mills, who breed "AKC" dogs with so much in-breeding it's scary, then turn around and sell Cujo-dog to the closest pet store and that's the end of that.

I can't back the PETA version, but yes - mandatory S/N unless you are a breeder that is licensed as such and subject to some form of inspection. I agree that the government interferes a wee bit too much already, but good grief - it is the government running the kill shelters. Six of one, half dozen of the other.

Old 07-07-2007, 02:33 PM

1,078 posts, read 3,492,551 times
SAM, it will only hurt those who are already obeying the laws, responsible breeders and pet owners. It will cost us more, and put unnecessary restrictions on us. Those who already ignore current law will continue to do so. Again, the goal here is to remove freedoms, and cancel out pet ownership all together, while collecting monies and restricting those who already obey the law. It is all about more bureaucracy.
I live in LA where dogs must be chipped, and registered, but my neighbor has a cat that keeps getting PG another cat that roams and is not neutered, and two dogs that are not fixed. And none of her pets are chipped...tell me who is going to make her do it?
Tell me how are cats going to be controlled even with this law?

BTW most puppy mills do not breed AKC dogs it is not that easy to get registered with AKC.

MBG
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or