U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 06:03 AM

3,340 posts, read 5,906,390 times

Advertisements

my responsible and financially secure friend didn't get a kitten from the shelter because it was "too expensive" (about $85 iirc) so instead she got one from a friend whose cat had kittens. ignoring the fact that to get that cat neutered and immunized cost more than $85 ("i told you so!"), she would have gone to a shelter if it was half price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2010, 06:22 AM

4,127 posts, read 13,262,402 times
Have heard of some groups who waive the fee for seniors to adopt seniors (10+) which sounds like a good idea as long as the adopter is aware seniors can have more health problems and can be costly too. The groups screen and do home visits and are happy to accept donations.

Old 09-09-2010, 06:33 AM

29,988 posts, read 37,095,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeycrisp View Post
Have heard of some groups who waive the fee for seniors to adopt seniors (10+) which sounds like a good idea as long as the adopter is aware seniors can have more health problems and can be costly too. The groups screen and do home visits and are happy to accept donations.
There are a number of animal rescue organizations that have a program of "seniors for seniors" in trying to adopt out the older animals to seniors at little to no cost to get those more difficult to adopt out older animals placed. I think it is a great way to give seniors who may be widowed/lonely something to love and live for.

As for the SPCA, I think they have likely done their homework as to the cost to maintain vs. lowering adoption prices and found what works best for them. We are in a depressed economy and if it helps get pets into good homes then good for them. It is better than these animals having to be destroyed, IMO.

Old 09-09-2010, 11:37 AM

1,300 posts, read 3,078,698 times
I have mixed feelings about this...personally I don't understand why cost is even a factor, it's more the cost of care that I would be concerned about - the long term. I think "sales" for pets in some ways provide a false sense of the cost of care. And in my mind a true animal lover isn't going to go adopt a pet because there's a sale. They adopt because they are ready (financially and emotionally) for a companion. "Sales" encourage impulsive decision-making. Someone who impulsively decides to adopt is most likely not going to provide a FOREVER home. Or worse, they adopt and then the animal ends up in a shelter again because of a newly developed behavior/health problem that they can't afford (or don't want to spend money or time fixing), I would rather they didn't adopt in the first place. It's so hard on the animal. A strict screening process may resolve this, but sometimes you never know.

Old 09-09-2010, 11:38 AM

2,890 posts, read 5,366,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
my responsible and financially secure friend didn't get a kitten from the shelter because it was "too expensive" (about $85 iirc) so instead she got one from a friend whose cat had kittens. ignoring the fact that to get that cat neutered and immunized cost more than $85 ("i told you so!"), she would have gone to a shelter if it was half price.
Our kittens came vet-checked, FLV negative, vaccinated, spayed/neutered, AND microchipped. I knew they were safe to introduce to the cats at home, didn't have to stress over them while they recovered from surgery, and didn't have to debate over the microchipping (which brand, cost, vet appt.).

I'd rather spend my time bonding with the little monsters than hauling them back and forth to the vet. "Time is money," and I didn't have to take time off work to coordinate all this. And there is no way that the vet bill would have come in less that the adoption fee.

Honestly, if people can't afford the adoption fees charged by most agencies - it's unlikely they can afford the inevitable emergency vet visit.

Old 09-09-2010, 11:48 AM

3,340 posts, read 5,906,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissNM View Post
Our kittens came vet-checked, FLV negative, vaccinated, spayed/neutered, AND microchipped. I knew they were safe to introduce to the cats at home, didn't have to stress over them while they recovered from surgery, and didn't have to debate over the microchipping (which brand, cost, vet appt.).

I'd rather spend my time bonding with the little monsters than hauling them back and forth to the vet. "Time is money," and I didn't have to take time off work to coordinate all this. And there is no way that the vet bill would have come in less that the adoption fee.

Honestly, if people can't afford the adoption fees charged by most agencies - it's unlikely they can afford the inevitable emergency vet visit.
i agree, the shelters are a very good deal. getting all that done at a vet (chip, neuter, etc.) would cost probably $200 or more.

i doubt that the shelter sale is attracting people who couldn't afford it otherwise. they are just using normal ways of increasing demand. if it means fewer kitties get euthanized, how can i argue with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets