U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 02:28 AM

2,267 posts, read 2,516,385 times

Advertisements

All of my cats were adopted as adults who needed homes...I could'nt love them more if I had purchased them as babies and they were purebreds.

Having said that I have in the past purchased dogs from a breeder...the kind of dog I really like is pretty unusual, not so much now as it was in the 90s but I never see them on Petfinder.com: Adopt a pet and help an animal shelter rescue a puppy or kitten..

The breed is Cavalier King Charles Spaniel.

I believe in giving adult pets a home...its alot easier in the long run...no worrying about what the new child will do while its growing up. You just have to work at getting the group to adjust to the new member.

When I have the money someday, I am going to buy a purebred British shorthair cat...I used to have one that I had adopted as an adult, he had been abused and the owner realized she had to give him away so he came to live with me...we had many happy years together my little British man and I and I would love another cat that looks like him...they have such wonderful FAT faces and FAT paws...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2007, 05:35 AM

5,981 posts, read 16,283,020 times
I think the debate may be more why buy from a BACK YARD BREEDER...the posters above have talked about Code of Ethics breeders who provide tons of info on their dogs and stand behind that dog for it's lifetime. A back yard breeder produces a litter of pups from any two dogs it can get together without checking the history of either. I have a blind dog with congenital glaucoma that no doubt was the result of the pairing of two physically unsound Rottweilers.

I do not subscribe to the theory that a rescue mutt's temperament is a crap shoot any more than a purebred IF the purebred is from a back yard breeder. And therein lies the difference....The COE breeders are there for a purpose - to perpetuate the line in a positive manner, and reputable breeders will have their pairings certified before the breeding time even starts to make sure there isn't a clash in genetics....BYBs just get everyone together and hope for the best. And they are the ones sitting on the Wal Mart parking lot on Saturday morning - a COE breeder's dogs that have a good line will be spoken for LONG before they hit the ground and you will be inspected as a home as much as if you were adopting a child. And that's the way it should be...the reason my preferred breed, the Rottweiler, is under such fire is because indiscriminate breeders didn't check things out and produced dogs that were of unsound temperament, and media hype about the Rottie and the pitties got everything going the wrong direction. Given the proper breeding and training, these are wonderful companions - in the wrong hands or with the wrong genetics, they are loose cannons.

Unless you are knowledgeable about your breed and intend to perpetuate the line for all the right reasons and not just to put a dollar in your pocket, are willing to do the research necessary and get the sanctions to produce a beneficial line, and are willing to stand behind that litter every day of it's life and take back any dog for any reason if it is deemed no longer desirable by
the family who initially took it - then in my eyes, you are a back yard breeder and have no business doing what you do....I guess I feel very strongly about this because I'm in rescue, and I'm the one taking care of your senior dog with hip dysplasia, the one that came from the fighting pit, the one used as a breeding machine, the one that is scared of her own shadow, and the one that is blind....all castoffs as the result of bad breeding or human apathy.

Old 06-30-2007, 10:00 AM

7,541 posts, read 16,350,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clawson26 View Post
This is not a question to tweek anyone off! I am genuinely curious why anyone would BUY a pet that was bred for sale when there are so many homeless animals that die in shelters (or worse) every year. It seems to me that buying from breeders contributes to the overpopulation problem when you could have your pick of wonderful dogs and cats for free at a shelter. Don't purebreed pets in general have more health problems? And why would you care if your pet was a "purebreed"? I'm certainly not, (Irish & Scottish and who knows what else.) I'm not trying to offend the breeders or purebreed owners but I really don't get it?
Mix breed dogs arent for me. They are for alot of people. When I buy a pup I need to know the breeds history, temprement etc etc. I took a compatibility test on Animal Planet and the Staff was a 98% match for me hehe.

Old 06-30-2007, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Mix breed dogs arent for me. They are for alot of people. When I buy a pup I need to know the breeds history, temprement etc etc. I took a compatibility test on Animal Planet and the Staff was a 98% match for me hehe.
So you're compatible with the AmStaff....great, we need more Staffy owners!....but unless you bought from a COE breeder, you basically don't know what you have. Those recessive genes are killers in a literal sense. You may know the BREED history and their historical temperament....but you don't know a THING about that one particular dog without the COE breeder's code behind it. AKC would license my truck if I dummied up the papers...that does no good whatsoever. I'm not a huge fan of the AKC.

Old 06-30-2007, 10:09 AM

7,541 posts, read 16,350,576 times
COE = Code of Ethisc Breeder ? ??????? I think thats what youre on about.

I talked and emailed alot from the breeder. Got a family tree. No inbreeding. Infact, i think she asked me more questions about my history than I asked her. Same with the guy im contemplating getting another dog from.

BTW, the AmStaff didnt show up, the Staff (Staffordshire Bull Terrier) did. Dakota is my second in a number of years.

Last edited by BrianH; 06-30-2007 at 10:19 AM..

Old 06-30-2007, 10:10 AM

6,047 posts, read 21,606,110 times
My cousin bought a beautiful Siberian Huskie from an out of state breeder who they checked out and believed to have a good reputation. She and her husband wanted to buy from a breeder to try to ensure the dog's health would be good. Now, three years later, the dog has a weird form of cancer in its mouth, and they are struggling with the decision of whether they should do chemo as the vet is recommending. Maybe the breeder wasn't as bona fide as they thought, or maybe they were just unlucky. To each his own, but if I were to get another pet, I would go through a shelter. I'm not overly picky, just want an animal to love.

Old 06-30-2007, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
COE = Code of Ethisc Breeder ? ??????? I think thats what youre on about.

I talked and emailed alot from the breeder. Got a family tree. No inbreeding. Infact, i think she asked me more questions about my history than I asked her. Same with the guy im contemplating getting another dog from.

BTW, the AmStaff didnt show up, the Staff (Staffordshire Bull Terrier) did. Dakota is my second in a number of years.
People take it wrong, but I'm always glad to hear that breeders are asking about the homes their dogs go to and not just taking a check and running. Sounds like you have a reputable breeder on your hands, or at least one who cares for the litters. Best of luck to you and your bull terrier! Adorable, by the way! And yes, COE - code of ethics - too long in the world of rescue shorthand!

Old 06-30-2007, 12:50 PM

12,387 posts, read 31,337,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
My cousin bought a beautiful Siberian Huskie from an out of state breeder who they checked out and believed to have a good reputation. She and her husband wanted to buy from a breeder to try to ensure the dog's health would be good. Now, three years later, the dog has a weird form of cancer in its mouth, and they are struggling with the decision of whether they should do chemo as the vet is recommending. Maybe the breeder wasn't as bona fide as they thought, or maybe they were just unlucky. To each his own, but if I were to get another pet, I would go through a shelter. I'm not overly picky, just want an animal to love.
A friend of mine went thru the same thing, BUT her & her husband smoked! Now her youngest child has cancer! Second hand smoke killed the dog not bloodlines!

Old 06-30-2007, 05:10 PM

13,382 posts, read 40,850,925 times
Great post, Sam I Am.
Lisa, I love Cavaliers. They were quite popular in Denver.
I've had my share of pound puppies over many years.
I'll never forget the Irish setter mix that turned out to be a Vizsla. We had her for 14 years.
I enjoy a bit of predictablity now and we have been buying mastiffs from *very* reputable breeders who care about soundness, temperament, and where their puppies go.
I think I know what Sam means about the AKC.
The show world is not why I have enjoyed having a purebred.
We buy for companionship, so always spay or neuter, but I like finding a pup that comes from a sound, caring, tested background. This is not to say that I'd never take in a rescue. But as I said, we've had our share of pound puppies and do not feel guilty about looking for a bit more assuredness during a pet search.

Old 06-30-2007, 08:58 PM

1,078 posts, read 3,492,551 times
Sam, just for the record, I was speaking of COE breeders, I woud never buy from a backyard breeder, that would be fool hardy...if you are going to go that way, you are better of going to the pound. Purebred dogs often have problems because of backyard breeders.
MBG
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or