Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 03:06 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times

Advertisements

I'm not looking for agreement. I don't really care if people agree with me or not. I was looking for information. You know, to expand my horizons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2010, 09:12 AM

511 posts, read 2,199,509 times
I am 27 years old, and I just brought home my new pet rat a few weeks ago, as well as a second rat for my 5 year old daughter. And yes... I can see where you post is comming from. I felt a little silly bringing home a pet rat for myself (I do typically think of rodents as kid pets). However, I love my little rat and she has been so much fun to watch! And I have known several other adults who have pet rats. So it's not all that odd or uncommon. They are also great pets for people who cannot have dogs/cats.

Old 09-16-2010, 09:24 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
I'm in my 40s and I have a rat! Never thought in a million years I'd have a rat. Never crossed my mind.

Why do I have a rat? My son's friend was moving and couldn't keep the rat. I agreed to take care of it for him.

For the first few weeks, it freaked me out. I didnt want to hold it. But it turns out that it's super affectionate and sweet. I've become a rat lover.

I've since met a woman who has rats because her husband is allergic to dogs and cats. He's not allergic to rats so rats are the only pet she can have.

I realize now that a rat would be a good pet for an older person. I have two dogs and I can see how it might be too difficult for me to care for dogs when I'm elderly.

I've decided that I just might considering rats when I'm older, especially if I live in a rental that doesn't permit cats.

Old 09-16-2010, 01:31 PM

2,857 posts, read 6,725,297 times
Rodents have relatively short lifespans, which in my mind, makes them a poor choice as pets. I wouldn't want to become too attached to a pet that won't be around in a year or two.

Old 09-16-2010, 03:55 PM

1,300 posts, read 3,603,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino View Post
Rodents have relatively short lifespans, which in my mind, makes them a poor choice as pets. I wouldn't want to become too attached to a pet that won't be around in a year or two.
I think you're specifically talking about mice, rats and hamsters...ferrets live 9+ years and rabbits live 10-12 years, which is comparable to a large dog.

Old 09-16-2010, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino View Post
A year or two at at time would probably be a good decision for an elderly person since the ower's lifespan is uncertain too.

Old 09-16-2010, 05:52 PM

50,367 posts, read 63,964,084 times
My grandkids have had a succession of gerbils, guiney pigs, etc., but my granddaughter has had a rat named Mckensie for quite awhile now, and she is a very cute and charming rat. I wouldn't mind having one sometime. The rat is just so sweet and cuddly.

Old 09-16-2010, 08:22 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Sounds like rats have quite the fan club. I didn't realize how affectionate they are.
Do they ever bite?

Old 09-16-2010, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Sounds like rats have quite the fan club. I didn't realize how affectionate they are.
They are amazingly affectionate. I was so shocked. Not what I expected. Mine likes to cuddle. He likes to groom me. He's always excited to see me----runs to the edge of the cage when he sees me hoping I'll take him out and give him affection, which he returns with great appreciation and love. He's super smart too. Oh, and the MOST AMAZING part, he gets along with my dogs! He loves interacting with them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Do they ever bite?
If you get a rat as a baby, hold and play with it everyday, it will not bite you. Mine never bites. I even had to give him a bath, which rats HATE, and he didn't bit me. Instead, he climbed up my arm faster than could be and then dove off me onto the floor. When you consider his size compared to my height, that's like my jumping off a 30 story building!

The lady who does our local rat rescue gets rats that bite. They bite because they were ignored----never held or anything. They're afraid of humans if you don't spend time with them when they are young. It takes her months to tame them and even then she can only place them with experienced rat owners.

Get one as a baby and you'll never have a problem with it biting if you hold, pet and play with it when young.

Old 09-16-2010, 09:52 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,814,317 times
I have 2 rats I got from my neighbor, and they don't like being handled much. So they've bitten me. My guess is my neighbor didn't handle them much, and her son (who she got them for, didn't either). I've only gotten them to the point where they won't bite while I have my hands in the cage, but sometimes will if I handle them. So, I just let them come to me to sniff, lick, nibble, but I don't make a move to pick them up unless I need to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets