U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 10:38 PM

9 posts, read 23,132 times

Advertisements

Ok guys, I getting really annoyed at the pet store that i work at, from people bringing in wild animals and wanting to take care of them. I believe it was in kindergarden that we were taught not to touch wild animals, but a lot of people dont seem to remember this. They are wild animals, you dont know what type of dieses they might have.
Many times especially with "baby" rabbits, and "baby" birds, either mom has gone out for a while, or they are fledging which is learning to fly. I say "baby" becuse most of the times the rabbits are already weened, and are just hanging out with mom untill they leave, and with birds they just need the practice learning to fly.

Please leave them out there! I'm sure you wouldnt want your children picked up and taken care of by a stranger. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2007, 11:35 PM

2,267 posts, read 336,065 times
I have raised two orphan raccoons...mothers had been killed and these babies were small enough they would NEVER have survived on their own.

In both cases I raised them to a point and then they were taken to a summer camp where a Nature Director continued with the babies teaching them to live on their own...they eventually went into the wild.

I couldn't leave a baby alone to die...its not right to me.

I also would NEVER keep one as a pet, they are meant to be in the wild, that is their right.

Old 07-01-2007, 03:54 AM

8,195 posts, read 17,009,806 times
A friend of mine has a wild baby. he just spent thousands of dollars saving its life. No you can not get any thing from a rabbit.
I have friends that bottle raised deer, most wander away when the are older. But one that was born blind still lives with her, she is 10+ years old.
The big birds that you are selling were born wild...are you gonig to set them free?? How can you say what you did & sell puppies from puppy mills...wild animals smuggled in from other countries...

Old 07-01-2007, 08:10 AM

394 posts, read 1,509,550 times
I actually believe it is illegal in most states to have wildlife/raise them without a license....

and you can get something from rabbits...ringworm, E. Coli, and tularemia to start off with...

Old 07-01-2007, 08:17 AM

3,075 posts, read 7,113,563 times
Well, I can tell you from my recent experience.....

We just had a bat encounter that caused all of the family to have to go and get rabies shots.

In my discussions on the phone with animal control, the CDC in Atlanta and the county health department......they say that 80% of rabies they find in my area is from raccoons!

Even baby raccoons can carry rabies. And if they are out in the daytime or seem exceptionally friendly, there is even a higher liklihood that they are indeed infected with rabies.

In the last 12-18 months the CDC has gotten even more concerned as rabies has been more on the rise. It is always deadly! Once you get it, you are a gonner.

PLEASE be careful!

Dawn

Old 07-01-2007, 08:36 AM

407 posts, read 1,216,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa_from_Debary View Post
I have raised two orphan raccoons...mothers had been killed and these babies were small enough they would NEVER have survived on their own.

In both cases I raised them to a point and then they were taken to a summer camp where a Nature Director continued with the babies teaching them to live on their own...they eventually went into the wild.

I couldn't leave a baby alone to die...its not right to me.

I also would NEVER keep one as a pet, they are meant to be in the wild, that is their right.

I agree with Lisa...I never bother anything that is ok but if the mama is gone or if they are injured I will do what I can to help. Sorry I just can't watch anything suffer and die just so I don't get a cootie or whatever.

Old 07-01-2007, 01:12 PM

But you can get that from any animal wild or tame...duh

Old 07-01-2007, 11:41 PM

9 posts, read 23,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
A friend of mine has a wild baby. he just spent thousands of dollars saving its life. No you can not get any thing from a rabbit.
I have friends that bottle raised deer, most wander away when the are older. But one that was born blind still lives with her, she is 10+ years old.
The big birds that you are selling were born wild...are you gonig to set them free?? How can you say what you did & sell puppies from puppy mills...wild animals smuggled in from other countries...
For one, all of our birds born are from breeders. Two i dont think that many pet store sell dogs or cats and more ( except breeders ) because there are already so many that can be adopted from shelters. They usually have adoption programs at the stores. And three i think its illegal to sell smuggled animals. Just a hunch The only wild caught animals in our stores are the lizards you always see in florida, called Anoles.

All i'm saying is that the animals mother is usually near by and you shouldn't pick them up. If they are injured take them to a rehab center, or a nature center

Old 07-02-2007, 02:21 AM

Sure it is illegal /but I have seen the big macaws,etc sold in pet shops.

You can not rehb for release a blind deer. As I said the healthy ones go off on thier own any way. The baby rabbit will never be released either, he has no legs as the neighbors lawn mower got them.

Old 07-02-2007, 06:10 AM

394 posts, read 1,509,550 times
If you have a wild animal, you are supposed to turn it over to a certified rehabber.

If you think nothing of keeping it, then just picture everyone thinking it is their right to have a (tame) wild animal in their yard, blind or not. And if you "save" it then release it, and don't do it properly, it will probably be killed early in life b/c of being too used to humans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets