U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2010, 09:49 PM

170 posts, read 346,456 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know where I could purchase Phenobarbital online? I have a dog who has epilepsy and I feel lie the Vet is ripping me off. I would very much prefer to purchase it online somewhere. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2010, 10:03 AM

1,975 posts, read 3,246,911 times
Check out Doctors Smith and Foster web site for a price comparison. You will need the prescription slip to submit. It might be Doctors Foster and Smith. I can't find my catalogue!

Old 12-03-2010, 10:16 AM

12,036 posts, read 6,875,260 times
1800petmeds.com sells Primidone for dogs. Primidone becomes phenobarb when ingested. It's expensive: 89 cents for one 250mg tablet. Petmeds requires a script or vet office phone confirmation for all prescription meds.

We buy all our dog's heartworm meds online because they are about 1/2 the price our vet charges and the shipping is free on orders over $39.

Old 12-03-2010, 03:22 PM

4,919 posts, read 19,783,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Petmeds requires a script or vet office phone confirmation for all prescription meds.
/\ /\ Great Comment /\ /\
If you are buying a prescription med that requires a prescription and they are no requiring a Rx for it, odds are its counterfeit.
The FTC has filed cases against a couple of online pet medication suppliers for selling counterfeit pet drugs. The FDA has sued several others. ICE is starting to embargo shipments from Australia because they were counterfeits. All these had one thing in common, they didn't require prescriptions for the medications although required by law. If anyplace you find tells you they don't need a prescription from the vet, I don;t care how sophisticated they look or how much PR they have on their websites about being legit, just look at what happened in Australia and you'll how sophisticated those counterfeiters have become. It is bad because as they start up they initially provide real medication, soon they start watering it down, next comes doctored medication and finally its nothing but crap being sold to you. By the time you realize, if you ever realize it, your pet has been harmed and suffuring so you can save a buck. Be very careful.

Old 12-04-2010, 09:19 PM

718 posts, read 1,798,642 times
How do you get your vet to right you a prescription for online meds? Most vets give some song and dance about how they don't do that so that you can pay 3 prices for your meds. I have never found one who would do that. "not their policy" is the excuse.

Old 12-04-2010, 09:30 PM

6,662 posts, read 26,208,561 times
Our vet writes a prescription and we take it to costco to get filled.
We have had to buy eye drops, insulin, needles.
They are limited by the same laws as human doctors and can not force you to buy from them.

Old 12-04-2010, 09:37 PM

4,127 posts, read 13,262,402 times
Ours charges $5 to write a prescription, sometimes they'll meet the price though

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnKK View Post
How do you get your vet to right you a prescription for online meds? Most vets give some song and dance about how they don't do that so that you can pay 3 prices for your meds. I have never found one who would do that. "not their policy" is the excuse.

Old 12-05-2010, 03:42 PM

8,191 posts, read 28,049,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeycrisp View Post
Ours charges $5 to write a prescription, sometimes they'll meet the price though
My vet also charges to write a script for a med they carry. My old vet used to price match, but my current vet does not.

Old 12-07-2010, 01:25 PM

1,300 posts, read 3,078,698 times
When I used to work at a vet's office petmeds/dr foster and smith ect would fax us stating what the patient was requesting and we would have the doctor sign off on it and fax it back. The reason some vets don't deal with online pharmacies is they are a pain! Especially petmeds. Petmeds would constantly forget to fax us and we would get "second request" faxes when we never received a first request! Sometimes they would tell the customer that we declined their Rx request when we never received a fax from them. It's a hassle and makes the customers get mad at the vet unnecessarily. Also a lot of the time the name that the pets are under at the vet and the name on the fax are different so there's a lot of possible confusion.

Check with your vet to see how they handle online pharmacies, sometimes you don't need a written Rx; they will confirm with the vet on their own. But if your pet hasn't been seen by the vet in over a year or if they're due for bloodwork (certain meds require bloodwork every so often), the vet may not approve it. Also most vets will make you sign a release of liability at their office basically stating that they are not distributing the medication to you so they don't know if the meds were kept at the appropriate temperature ect. From what I've heard from them if heartworm meds reach a certain temp, they can be ineffective. And diabetes meds need to be refrigerated. Not sure about the specifics for phenobarbital. But in the vet's eyes you're taking a chance buying meds from an outside vendor. That said, I've bought from petmeds and others and had no problems.

Old 12-08-2010, 05:38 AM

9,352 posts, read 16,768,849 times
bailey is on deramaxx as needed these days ..... twelve 75 MG tablets were $30 from the vet's office ..... she gets a half tablet to a full tablet each 24 hours as needed.....

i comparison shopped 1800petmeds and drs foster and smith and there REALLY wasn't that much difference in pricing.... ESPECIALLY when you factor in shipping......

phenobarb can be filled at a human pharmacy where it might be less expensive than the vet's office......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets