U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-11-2007, 12:16 PM

527 posts, read 1,529,469 times
Default CA mandatory spay/neuter bill pulled from Committee

CA AB 1634 was pulled today from the California Senate Local Government Committee by the bill sponsor Assemblymember Lloyd Levine. The bill would have required owners to spay or neuter all dogs and cats six months of age, with few practical exceptions. Because of this development, AB 1634 will not be considered for the remainder of this legislative session. The earliest the bill could be up for consideration will be next January.

American Kennel Club - CA Spay/Neuter Action Center
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2007, 12:48 PM

6,924 posts, read 10,543,250 times
Wow, a victory for the sane people! People 1 PETA 0

Old 07-11-2007, 01:25 PM

10,231 posts, read 10,431,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
Wow, a victory for the sane people! People 1 PETA 0
You're right, BrianH. People1, PETA 0...for now, at least.

The bill is not dead... It's been "passed over" until January. This has been the "strategy" all along to keep it from being "killed". Every time Assemblyman Member LeVine knows he hasn't got the votes to pass it, he allows it to be "passed over" until such time as he feels he has *done whatever* to secure the votes he needs.... He's in this fight for the long haul, along with all of the AR "big guns" -- PETA, HSUS, etc.

They're just counting on the "little guy" opposition to tire out while they do their politicking...... And they KNOW they far outweigh us in the wallet. This is typically how all of the more local ordinances get passed "when nobody's looking.”

TORIA, do you know what the "The Continuing Lassie Effort" is?

Last edited by southward bound; 07-11-2007 at 01:27 PM.. Reason: add question

Old 07-12-2007, 08:48 AM

5,982 posts, read 10,772,645 times
Disagree - just because PETA backs it doesn't make it a bad bill.....if you want an intact dog and you can't find a loophole in that bill, you need to read it again. Something has to be done about overpopulation - you can't legislate responsibility, but you CAN legislate accountability....oh wait, Toria - you and I are debating this on another thread, aren't we? LOL!

Old 07-12-2007, 08:59 AM

1,587 posts, read 4,256,300 times
Hope falls right out..If they want spay/neuter charge more on license fees for unspayed/neuter animals and try to enforce that..Hunting organizations will keep helping to fight against this bill also.

Old 07-12-2007, 09:26 AM

You dont think its the first step in PETA's plan to stop people having pets altogether ?

Old 07-12-2007, 02:41 PM

Read the bill....there's NOTHING in there to keep you from having a pet. Nothing.

I think a lot of folks got twisted when PETA came out in support of it because they are wacky crackers, but no - I do not think that will ever happen. The AKC came out against the bill, but I suspect their motive is money.

Old 07-12-2007, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH View Post
You dont think its the first step in PETA's plan to stop people having pets altogether ?
Not trying to be a PITA, but read the bold. First step. PETA wants to dictate to people what they can and cant eat, can and cant have as a pet. They will try and accomplish this with steps, not all at once.

Old 07-12-2007, 05:07 PM

Not trying to be a PITA but I think too much emphasis is on the PETA endorsement...I think the AKC won this round and will continue to do so - no one despises AKC.....everyone other than PETA members wonder about PETA. It's been defeated right out of the chute. Granted, it will raise it's head again....but I don't believe we will see elimination of household pets, not in your lifetime or mine.

Old 07-12-2007, 06:42 PM

I dont think so either, but it will always be on PETA's agenda though. I prefer the AKC's opinion cause they dont wanna take my steak away from me either :d
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets