U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2010, 09:56 PM

6,307 posts, read 7,426,741 times

Advertisements

As this year comes to an end (mercifully, as far as I am concerned), I have been thinking about all that I have to be thankful for. This has been a particularly hard time for me and those close to me, and being positive has been quite the challenge.

I'm not starting this thread for anything else but to share one of the things that I'm MOST thankful for. I've had some very good things happen this year, but the one thing that sticks out most in my mind is meeting Kizzy. (Kizmet, officially...changed from the traditional "Kismet" because I wanted to use the nickname.) I believe that it was truly fate that brought us together that day.

Had I not decided to go where I did during my lunch that day, and had I not stood outside speaking with my mom on the phone, I never would have heard him barking at the little bulldog that walked by. Maybe someone else would have gone to him, and decided to cut through the twine that tied him to the tree. Probably. But, there was something that called me to him that day. And, this "little" (60 pound) guy is what has kept me going of late. Sure, I rescued him...but he's more than repaid the favor.

I can't help but think, as I reflect on this year that I'd truly like to forget, that it really was "meant to be". I've read some stories on here, particularly in the Rainbow Bridge section, which speak about people being in their darkest times, and their animals just being there, loving as always. I can say, with my Kiz, that I *get* it.

He's laying here next to me on the couch now, ready to jump up and start barking when I get up. He's giving me that look, that he's "ready to go" when I am. I'm sure that he knows that tomorrow is "Canada day". When I get home from work and *don't* take off my coat before letting him out of his crate, he knows it's travel time. Oh, that's a good day for him. He sprawls out snoozing in the back seat until we're about 10 minutes away from my bf's house, at which point, I can barely drive with this crazed pointer/lab mix going nuts. He LOVES being there. Drives my bf's maltipoo absolutely crazy. But, at the end of the weekend, he's at my heels, making sure that he goes when I do.

To have this adoration, when I don't deserve it a lot of the time? What a gift.

So, if you've read this far, thank you for indulging me. I chose to put this in the general "pets" section, because I know that dogs are not the only creatures that can have this effect on people.

This is an homage, not only to Kizzy, but to all of the other animals that give us more than we could ever give them.

Happy New Year to all of you two-legged CD'ers, and especially to the four (six or eight or no) leggers that keep us humans grounded, and give us more than we can ever give to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2011, 07:21 AM

9,352 posts, read 16,774,074 times
what a lovely post..... and so true....

i am another who is GLAD to see 2010 in the rearview mirror.... my furfaces have been true sanity-savers for me.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or