U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 01:35 PM

29,041 posts, read 44,910,327 times

Advertisements

Btw, as I was typing the above post, Charlotte started asking to come out... she's slithering around my lap now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2011, 02:20 PM

4,756 posts, read 6,072,924 times
I have a cat that falls down, shows his belly and asks to be scratched and petted. I've never seen another cat do that. He also has to drink from the faucet and it must be dripping, not running. He's a big baby so he usually gets what he wants.

Old 01-19-2011, 02:37 PM

1,034 posts, read 3,856,436 times
My dog is VERY high strung (Border Collie/Whippet mix) and my Siamese cat is VERY needy (I leave the room, he follows; I eat, he begs for a bite; I sit, he is trying to climb on me). The love each other and they love to hate each other. They'll fight like...well...cats and dogs, but then I catch them snuggling together when it is cold or cleaning each others ears and faces.

Last March, I had to put my other cat down. She was my male cat's litter-mate. I came home from the vet and tried to be strong. My male cat walked into the kitchen where I was standing. I took one look at him and just lost it. He'd never known life without her, 14 years. I was heartbroken for him and missed her myself. So I sat down on the floor and just let it all out. Within 20 seconds, my cat was sitting in my lap trying to lick my face; my dog was at my side resting her chin on my shoulder (which I've trained her is "hug"). They knew. It was the most incredible moment I've ever shared with them, and one I've never told anyone about.

I thought it was just a chance thing...like maybe they were just hungry or lonely and needed attention rather than knowing I was sad. But a few months later, I miscarried a pregnancy. Coming home from the doctor's office, knowing my baby had died, I walked in and did the same thing. Sat on the floor and sobbed awhile. My pets had the exact same reaction to comfort me.

It was a rough 2010 and they helped me through every day.

Old 01-19-2011, 02:45 PM

167 posts, read 312,502 times
My cocker spaniel totally taught herself about a year ago to sit up on her hind legs when I'm at the computer so then I'll either pet her or pick her up and work with her on my lap lol.

Old 01-20-2011, 10:18 AM

10,732 posts, read 31,719,329 times
Back in the early 90s, I had a pair of cats, one was white and one was black, their names being Basil and Nigel. They were only a year apart in age. Nigel was the second cat I got. I got him right after I had been in a car accident, I had one arm in a cast so I put him in the pocket of my rob or stuck him to my shoulder when I moved about the house.
He became so attached and in tune with me that when ever I would sniffle either from a cold or crying he would come running, no matter where he was in the house. He would head butt me, purr and love on me. He comforted me like he knew exactly what I was going through.

I also recall at one point, my OB/GYN thought I had cervical cancer. This was before I had my daughter. I was terrified, I had no one to lean on. I came home after the second biopsy to find Nigel laying back on a pillow and Basil (who was a big fat fellow) sort of laying partially on top of him, Nigel had his arms around Basil and was bathing Basil's head and face.
In spite of how upset I was, I had to chuckle.
I went to bed, because I was just overwhelmed by it all and they came along with me and comforted me with their attentions.

Old 01-21-2011, 04:19 PM

6,023 posts, read 11,869,550 times
Cool Posing For Photos ~♥~

It warms my heart when our little parrot co-operates with the photo shoot crew instead of acting like a spoiled supermodel.

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_9a8nDInPVGE/TToPSp_5GsI/AAAAAAAAJaI/FP2r5MU5ujU/s512/IMG_2378-1.JPG (broken link)

Old 01-23-2011, 02:31 AM

455 posts, read 1,007,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
It warms my heart when our little parrot co-operates with the photo shoot crew instead of acting like a spoiled supermodel.
This post has warmed my heart

With my own pets its everytime I walk into the house they are all there to greet me with a warm welcome.

Old 01-24-2011, 07:39 AM

386 posts, read 1,166,482 times
Thanks everyone - I love reading all these stories.

Old 01-29-2011, 12:09 AM

8,680 posts, read 13,257,116 times
My Green Cheek conure (looks a lot like Rickers' bird, above) LOVES "Never Stop," by Chilly Gonzales. It's the music from the iPad commercials. It came on the TV earlier this evening (couldn't pass up Something's Gotta Give), and when I looked in my little guy's house, he was dancing on his perch in the dark.

Here's the music:

[youtube]Lpo__xhTSv8[/youtube]
[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lpo__xhTSv8[/url]

Old 01-29-2011, 12:39 AM

15,564 posts, read 36,469,748 times
I have parrots, but one of them is the "Samba Queen". It warms my heart when she breaks into dance mode when she wants my attention or when I greet her first thing in the morning. I always tell her she's the "best dancer in the world". I think she believes me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets