U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does the pricing of an ER vet keep you from using them?
Yes, I've been to the emergency vet, but would use them more often if the price was lower 4 19.05%
Yes, I use the emergency vet, but I wouldn't use them more if the prices were lower 12 57.14%
No, I don't use the emergency vet, but I would use them if the prices were lower 3 14.29%
No, I don't use the emergency vet, but I wouldn't use them more if the prices were lower 2 9.52%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 10:25 PM

2,375 posts, read 5,359,120 times

Advertisements

Writing a paper for a financial presentations class and wanted to take a poll of some animal owners.

The paper is on the dilemma of cost pet owners face when using the emergency vet.

Specifically this poll is to get results about whether they could increase their customers by charging a little less. Any other comments would be welcome as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2011, 12:23 AM

5,240 posts, read 13,980,891 times
Choices are worded very strangely, but I voted. Prices won't stop me from using them. And emergency is an emergency, period. That said, I think it's easier for me because I get discounted rates through our vet and he is the on call vet at night if we have an emergency.

Old 01-30-2011, 12:33 AM

19,814 posts, read 55,781,243 times
I don't think our members should be "harvested" for your gain.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 01-30-2011, 01:13 AM

15,121 posts, read 13,358,419 times
Emergency vets have you by the short hairs, don't they?

If you love your pets and have the money.......you use them.....what other choice is there?

I feel sorry for the people who don't have the money and their pets die because they cannot afford the outrageous prices they charge. And if you don't have cash up front or a credit card, you are sh** out of luck.

I hate it when I have to use them......and it isn't because of the money. I hate turning my loved one over to a vet I know absolutely nothing about.......are they good? are they bad? It is a crapshoot.

Whenever I have a sick pet, I pray they don't take a turn for the worse when my vet is closed.

In the old days, you used your own vet clinic in an emergency, the Drs. took turns being on call.

Now, where I live, all of the vets in the area signed a non compete clause when the emergency clinic opened. Plus, the emergency clinic is centrally located and it takes me twice as long to get there.........yes, I have timed it.......to the minute.

Old 01-30-2011, 02:51 AM

554 posts, read 1,347,648 times
I'm not going to vote on this poll simply because the questions are odd (or strangely worded as mrs1885 said) and not realistic. If you want real life answers, you need better poll questions.

The first choice on this poll is an oxymoron. *Yes, I've been to the emergency vet, but would use them more often if the price was lower. Doesn't that defeat the purpose of being an emergency vet? If they cost as much as your regular vet, than why would it be called an "emergency vet"?

First of all, you hope you would never need or want to use the EV at all, right? Because that basically means your animal is on the verge of death or in a great amount of pain and it simply can't wait until your normal vet opens the next day.

If it's an absolute emergency and your regular vet is closed, what are your options? Let's see...possible death or life saving treatment...hmmm. I've never been "well off" by any means whatsoever, but just being broke wouldn't stop me from getting my fur babies needs met. If you have animals, you need to be prepared to pay anywhere between $500-$1K for that emergency visit. That is my reason for having one "emergency" credit card.

Old 01-30-2011, 04:30 AM

7,330 posts, read 13,170,630 times
I agree with the above. If you're considering taking a pet to the e-vet it's because there's something so wrong it can't wait until your own vet is open. If there was an option of waiting, your own vet is probably better anyway.

Old 01-31-2011, 01:44 PM

1,280 posts, read 6,127,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by molochai2580 View Post
Writing a paper for a financial presentations class and wanted to take a poll of some animal owners.

The paper is on the dilemma of cost pet owners face when using the emergency vet.

Specifically this poll is to get results about whether they could increase their customers by charging a little less. Any other comments would be welcome as well.
You didn't ask this. But I know several people who work at emergency vet clinics. They've reduced their hours, pay, inventory and staff. It is expensive to keep a hospital running on nights, holidays and weekends on the chance that their services will be needed. "Charging a little less" is typically not a viable option if they want their doors to remain open.

Old 01-31-2011, 01:58 PM

4,919 posts, read 19,789,169 times
if the situation requires and emergency vet visit, it requires an emergency vet visit. Its the reason and not the price that I use to make a decission.

Old 01-31-2011, 04:58 PM

8,039 posts, read 3,956,620 times
I had to read it twice to make sure I was answering the way I wanted to. I have used our emergency vet once wow I very nearly had to mortgage the house to pay for it. Fortunately I have my vets cell# and can call anytime. My vet has been known to meet me at the office after hrs.

Old 01-31-2011, 05:02 PM

8,191 posts, read 28,054,388 times
When I choose a vet I will always choose one that is available for emergencies for their regular clients without additional fees for providing after hours service. My current vet has 5 hours out of each week that they are not available, midnight to 5:00 am Sunday morning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or