Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 03:38 PM

8,307 posts, read 38,680,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierce2011 View Post
I was at a Petsmart the other day and the entire place stunk so bad! Somebody's pet had been sprayed by a skunk and instead of washing it themselves, they dropped it off at the Petsmart grooming service.

It was so bad that it was burning our eyes and it was hard to breathe. Even though the grooming service is behind glass and in a separate room it didn't do any good. The place was unbearable to be in. We left empty handed and went somewhere else. My personal thought was, why would somebody subject the public to that kind of torture? But it is understandable to have this option if you lived in an apartment or something.

Having dogs where I live, it's just a given that they're going to get sprayed at least once a summer. We have a baby pool to wash our own dogs outside when that happens. We know the drill. So my question is, what do other people do when their pets get sprayed?
Nature's miracle seems to work fairly well but it isn't as though the unmistakeable eau de skunk magically disappears and everything is like new immediately. There are all sorts of recipes that have varying levels of effectiveness, but the only thing that really cures a skunk spray is time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2011, 11:32 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,128,096 times
When our Nanuk got sprayed, it was a nightmare. Took her to the groomer three times, and the smell still didn't go away. Tomato juice was wholly ineffective. It was a nightmare, but I think she learned her lesson The above poster is right, I think it's something only time can cure.

Old 02-24-2011, 02:00 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,380,397 times
None of my dogs have evere gotten sprayed, lucky i guess. feel so bad for your pets who have. However i do understand that once they get sprayed, do not let the skunk oil sit on the pet. Wash immediately. I do understand, that it is a smell that has to go away on its own.

Old 02-24-2011, 10:28 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,464,450 times
Oh man, I am dreading having our dog get sprayed. I know there is a family of skunks hiding out in the overgrowth a little ways down the end of the street. There are a couple stray cats in our neighborhood that only walk around at night, and I think they must scare the skunks and they end up spraying.

This happens every couple nights, and it's so bad and strong that we both wake up nauseated, and one time vomiting. It happened last night, it just wakes you right out of your sleep. Our neighbors are also complaining about the smell.

But thanks to the tips I've read in this thread, if he does get sprayed I'll know how to take care of it. But for now, the dread still lingers over my head.

Old 02-24-2011, 10:32 AM

2,186 posts, read 7,916,958 times
Thanks for posting this! I haven't seen or smelled a skunk in years but it is always good to know what to do. It looks like I will have to encounter them in NOVA!

Old 02-24-2011, 12:44 PM

9,352 posts, read 19,955,417 times
came thisclose to hitting one with my car last night.....

not sure if the nature's miracle skunk deodorizer would work on a bumper and tire.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets