Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2007, 12:24 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,210,888 times

Advertisements

So far there is only one case of botulism....still, better to be safe....

Natural Balance has announced that it is recalling it’s Natural
Balance Eatables for Dogs due to a supplier’s recall. The
affected formulas include 15oz cans of: Irish Stew, Hobo Chili,
Chinese Take-Out and Southern Style Dumplin’s with Gravy. The
supplier, Castleberry Foods, found one instance of botulism in
improperly sealed cans.

The recall information was only sent to subscribers to their
newsletters. This information is not yet available on the
Natural Balance website.

Full details at:
Natural Balance Recalls Food Due To Botulism Risk | Itchmo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2007, 12:40 PM

1,913 posts, read 8,890,476 times
Thanks for posting the info!

There is quite the list for consumer canned items as well that are
sold by Krogers and Meijers.
I'm going to check my pantry!

Old 07-22-2007, 02:04 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,268,801 times
one interesting thing about these recalls is you find out who makes what.. I'm VERY surprised to see the human food company uses the same products for their dog food.. This is actually kinda disgusting, but some of those human foods really look and smell like something I'd give my dogs..

BTW, I have never heard of those dog foods, but their names sound pretty tasty. Are they for the really spoiled dogs? not that mine aren't Very spoiled...

Old 07-22-2007, 02:10 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,210,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citybythebay View Post
Thanks for posting the info!

There is quite the list for consumer canned items as well that are
sold by Krogers and Meijers.
I'm going to check my pantry!
I was in Kroger's on Friday and noticed huge "holes" in the shelving with recall notices as well...scary, huh?

I'm not familiar with this particular brand of dog food since I feel primarily raw, but someone probaby uses it out there - and the names are a little much, aren't they? I've always told my husband I was going to pour white gravy over Fancy Feast Grilled Turkey cat food - I doubt he would know the difference as long as I left the "Fancy Feast" part off!

This from the company...please watch your pets if they've had any of this food!

The disease has only been seen occasionally in dogs and has not been reported in cats. Ferrets are highly susceptible to botulinum toxin. The incubation period can be 2 hours to 2 weeks; in most cases, the symptoms appear after 12 to 24 hours. Botulism is characterized by progressive motor paralysis. Typical clinical signs may include muscle paralysis, difficulty breathing, chewing and swallowing, visual disturbances and generalized weakness may also occur. Death usually results from paralysis of the respiratory or cardiac muscles. Pet owners who have used these products and whose pets have these symptoms should contact their veterinarian immediately. At this time we are not aware of pet illnesses associated with these products although we recommend that all these products should be discarded.

Natural Balance is also reimbursing folks for these foods - they've also recalled a dry formula and their venison. Best to stay away from the whole brand, I guess....

Old 07-22-2007, 02:43 PM

1,913 posts, read 8,890,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
I was in Kroger's on Friday and noticed huge "holes" in the shelving with recall notices as well...scary, huh?

I'm not familiar with this particular brand of dog food since I feel primarily raw, but someone probaby uses it out there - and the names are a little much, aren't they? I've always told my husband I was going to pour white gravy over Fancy Feast Grilled Turkey cat food - I doubt he would know the difference as long as I left the "Fancy Feast" part off!

This from the company...please watch your pets if they've had any of this food!

The disease has only been seen occasionally in dogs and has not been reported in cats. Ferrets are highly susceptible to botulinum toxin. The incubation period can be 2 hours to 2 weeks; in most cases, the symptoms appear after 12 to 24 hours. Botulism is characterized by progressive motor paralysis. Typical clinical signs may include muscle paralysis, difficulty breathing, chewing and swallowing, visual disturbances and generalized weakness may also occur. Death usually results from paralysis of the respiratory or cardiac muscles. Pet owners who have used these products and whose pets have these symptoms should contact their veterinarian immediately. At this time we are not aware of pet illnesses associated with these products although we recommend that all these products should be discarded.

Natural Balance is also reimbursing folks for these foods - they've also recalled a dry formula and their venison. Best to stay away from the whole brand, I guess....

You know come to think of it the last time I was in Krogers lots of shelving units were bare...I figured they were doing a remodel...now I think, not so much.
I never heard of the dog food but some of that other canned stuff I have noticed before.
I didn't have any of the canned consumer goods, so that's a good thing.
I freaked when I read the chili...I bought some stuff to make chili with and wasn't sure if that was the stuff or not...luckily, it's not...it was a different name/company.

Old 07-22-2007, 02:54 PM

1,930 posts, read 10,151,582 times
I got an e-mail from Natural Balance, I think it was yesterday, about this. We do feed our dogs Natural Balance, but we feed them the Natural Balance Potato and Duck dry formula so, hopefully we don't have anything to worry about. We just put our dogs on this food a few weeks back. We were feeding them Iams and then we started doing some serious research on dog foods, we used a kibble rating chart to rate the ingredients, etc and Natural Balance was one of the A+ foods, the Potato and Duck dry formula (which we feed our dogs, it's good for dogs with food allergies) scored a 144 out off 100! We know that it's a good quality food, the bag of food we have says it contains no artificial preservatives, flavors, colors, or bleached ingredients. It does not contain corn, soy, wheat, rice, eggs, dairy products or sunflower oil. They are doing better than ever on this food and we would hate to have to change them, but they recalled the foods with venison and now this so, we are thinking about switching our dogs to Canidae if anything else comes up! I'm not sure if you posted a link to the same letter I got, but this is part of what mine said..

"This voluntary recall is from one reported case of botulism in Castleberry's human edible Hot Dog Chili Sauce. Botulism is generally due to an improperly sealed can or a can that has become damaged, thus letting air inside.

Natural Balance checks all of its cans for any kind of leakage, puffiness or damage before they are shipped, and we have found none. However, to comply with our manufacturer, we are asking that you discontinue use and return Eatables for Dogs to your store for a full refund. We will give you more information as we get it."

It doesn't sound like too big of a deal from what that says, but if anything else comes up, whether it has to do with the dry potato and duck or not, we will be switching our pups! Oh and I have never seen or heard of the people food made by Natural Balance! I know that Natural Balance is a good food and they use good ingredients, but I don't know if I would want to eat that! lol!

Last edited by PitBullMommie1206; 07-22-2007 at 03:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets