U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-14-2011, 10:42 PM

5,070 posts, read 4,137,777 times

Advertisements

PLEASE READ.

Hand sanitizers (they're composed of propylene glycol) are lethal to animals. Don't take a chance; get it out of your home. I can't post a link because it would be to another forum, but I just read of a dog who was near death and still not out of the woods. He's still on an IV.

I think it's within the TOS to give you the address if you send me a PM. Mod, please let me know if it's not.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2011, 03:03 PM

29,990 posts, read 20,952,792 times
Propylene glycol is a food grade additive. Ever read the labels on your canned goods? There are hand sanitizers out there without proylene glycol as an ingredient.

Is propelyne glycol alone a toxin to pets? I have not been able to find any such link? Does the OP have one? I suspect the quantity involved of hand sanitizer as well as other ingredients may have played a role.

It is always a good idea to keep out of reach anything that is not for the dog, especially those who counter-surf their way into trouble.

Old 03-16-2011, 03:25 PM

7,339 posts, read 7,723,841 times
yes hand sanitizers can be dangerous to both pets and humans. Rule of thumb is that whatever is strong enough to help you is strong enough to hurt you. However this is true about probably 70% of all products in your house. I cant see how removing hand sanitizer from your house will help you or your pet when either of you could be harmed by any number of things in your house unless you want to live in a bubble.

Old 03-17-2011, 09:10 AM

5,854 posts, read 6,598,261 times
Propylene glycol is an additive in human food and in dog food. It probably has more to do with the quantity consumed and the alcohol in the sanitizer.

If you wanted to get everything containing propylene glycol out of your house, you'd have to get rid of your deodorant, shampoos, cake mixes and flavorings, some medications, soaps, cosmetics, etc...

Old 03-17-2011, 05:58 PM

1,696 posts, read 2,310,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Propylene glycol is an additive in human food and in dog food. It probably has more to do with the quantity consumed and the alcohol in the sanitizer.

If you wanted to get everything containing propylene glycol out of your house, you'd have to get rid of your deodorant, shampoos, cake mixes and flavorings, some medications, soaps, cosmetics, etc...
yeah. just like with little kids, put stuff away in a locked cabinet if you're worried about it

Old 03-18-2011, 07:13 PM

29,990 posts, read 20,952,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post

I've been trying to find Veterinary based articles discussing the danger and instead I see where is is suggested to use propylene glycol for anti-freeze instead of ethel gylcol just to be safe around pets!

Please OP, if you have a link from a reputable source discussing the danger to pets, post it for us.

Old 03-18-2011, 07:21 PM

5,854 posts, read 6,598,261 times
Propylene glycol is toxic to dogs at high dosages, according to wikipedia: Propylene glycol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But there are plenty of other things that contain propylene glycol in the average home. You have to keep those things away from pets who chew.

Old 04-01-2011, 09:19 AM
Status: "I'll be with you forever, my dear little Kiwi." (set 6 days ago)

Location: Going back to the forest to be with nature's goodness.
14,569 posts, read 6,425,994 times
Thanks, OP. I'll be sure to remember that and make sure none of that gets in my home!
Also banned from my home are those "fabric softener" dryer sheets - they're deadly poison to your pets. But the BIG danger is : Hartz Mountain Flea Collars! My cat almost died within a day or so after putting one on him. He had to stay in the hospital for days and even then he wound up dying early from disease. I had 5 cats at the time - and they ALL got terribly sick from that poison. There's a website dedicated to this: http://www.hartzvictims.org/

Old 04-02-2011, 11:18 AM

4,038 posts, read 8,610,901 times
Why would anybody need to keep hand sanitizer in the house?
When I'm at home, if my hands get "polluted," I just wash them with soap and water.

I keep hand sanitizer in the car so I can disinfect my hands after touching things that other humans have touched in some nasty public place like Walmart or Safeway.

Old 04-03-2011, 06:15 PM

17,844 posts, read 7,881,468 times
I can't believe this i read an article on line last week about this very issue. It stated that the alcohol level in some hand sanitizers, is great. I think purell has much too much alcohol in it.

A little girl locked her self into a bathroom, when the Mom called for her and she did not answer, she went upstairs to check on her. Upon entering the bathroom, she could smell hand sanitizer on her 4 yr old daughter. She knew that she ingested it.

She the little girl could not keep her head striaght, or stand up, her eys were extremely glossy, she knew she had to get her daughter to the ER. They did , this little girl it seems, had ingested enough alcohol to be over the limit. She had alcohol poisoning.

They do caution to use hand sanitizers with caution, and put the bottle up away from children and pets. I have always used hand sanitizers without a problem, infact my whole family does. But please be careful around children and pets when using hand sanitizers.

The problem with children using hand sanitizers, is that most little kids like to lick their hands, not good if they use hand sanitizers, just aire on the side of caution if you use hand sanitizers around children or pets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets